Originally the leader of his own contubernium assigned to the Cove, Severus transitioned to the role of quartermaster when centurion Aurelius of Phoenix arrived in the cove. Beyond taking care of the stocks of equipment at the Cove and dealing with any captured gear, Severus also coordinates Legion patrols. The biggest problem is not the fact that the NCR avoids engagement with Legion raiding parties, particularly after the fall of Camp Searchlight, but the land mines the Army liberally peppers over the countryside to curtail Legion operations. The Legion has yet to develop a reliable method of disarming them.
The name impressed on him by Caesar is a popular historical name, bore by several emperors and notable persons in the history of Rome.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Arizona Scavenger: The player may trade NCR dogtags to him for food, weapons, armor, or ammunition and Legion fame after passing a Barter check of 35 with Aurelius of Phoenix.
- If you have 50 Explosives skill you can tell Severus how to disarm NCR frag mines. This will earn you experience, and +2 to Caesar's Legion fame. This can be repeated numerous time by simply asking about "Do you see much action against the NCR?" then saying "That is all for now." finally, choose the text option of "I can show you how to disarm the NCR's mines." with passing the Explosive skill check and repeat the process.
- If you have the powder charge schematics you can teach Decanus Severus to craft them for +4 to Legion fame. The schematics for building powder charges can be found in Cell block B of the NCR Correctional Facility on the first left top bunk inside the first locked cell on the left.
Weapons: (Note: asking to redeem for weapons immediately removes five dogtags from the player's inventory)
- 20-25 NCR dogtags → 9mm SMG, +1 to Legion Fame
- 25 NCR dogtags → laser pistol, +1 to Legion Fame
- 30 (25) NCR dogtags → 10mm SMG, +1 to Legion Fame
- 50 NCR dogtags → laser rifle, +1 to Legion Fame
Armor: (Note: asking to redeem for armor immediately removes five dogtags from the player's inventory)
- 15 NCR dogtags → leather armor, +1 to Legion Fame
- 20 NCR dogtags → Leather armor, reinforced, +1 to Legion Fame
- 1 NCR dogtag → 10 rounds of .22LR, 9mm, .357, 10mm, 20 gauge, or small energy cells, +1 to Legion Fame
- 1 NCR dogtag → 1 random food item, +1 to Legion Fame
- 3 NCR dogtags → 1 random food item, +4 to Legion Fame
- 5 NCR dogtags → 1 random food item, +12 to Legion Fame
- 10 NCR dogtags → 1 random food item, no Legion Fame
Due to several bugs with Severus' dialogue, turning in dogtags five at a time in exchange for food will yield the most fame per tag, granting +12 Legion fame for five tags. Turning in 25 dogtags five at a time is sufficient to become Liked, 10 for Accepted and 5 for Neutral. Turning in 40 tags five at a time, followed by another 3 tags in one set of three will grant the Courier Idolized status with the Legion.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Legion prime armor
Prime decanus helmet
|.44 Magnum revolver
- Severus is notably taller than the player character.
- He will refuse to interact with the Courier if a negative reputation with the Legion is gained.
Decanus Severus appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenesEdit
In Latin, decanus refers to a military rank of "a commander of ten soldiers," while severus is translated as "stern" or "severe."
- ↑ The Courier: "What is your role here?"
Severus: "I'm an officer of the Legion, of the rank . When we encamped, I commanded a of eight Legionaries. So I command what's left. Under the wise leadership of , of course."
- ↑ The Courier: "Do you see much action against the NCR?"
Severus: "As much as their cowardice will allow. The Profligates avoid open battle, but on good days we find one of their patrols. Their landmines have caused us more trouble than their marksmanship - which is lacking."
- ↑ The Courier: "What is this place?"
Severus: " "
- ↑ See here.