Once the core of Mass Bay University, with many lecture halls and offices for its staff and students, the building was adapted over the years for the needs of wastelanders and then, after the settlement was wiped out, mirelurks. Rooms that once served to educate students were repurposed as a hardware store, a workshop, and a sleeping room by the settlers. Later, the unused parts of the hall were taken over by mirelurks. The vast lecture rooms in the back are apparently the optimal environment for the creatures to lay eggs and raise their young.
Entering on the first floor through the main double-door entrance, most of Sedgwick Hall is behind Expert-locked doors on the first and second floors to the east, while a Master-locked door in the short corridor to the south leads to the dean's office. An Advanced-locked door in the dean's office leads to a southern first-floor flooded lecture hall, and the Expert-locked door near the entrance leads to a flooded northern lecture hall with a small adjoining room containing a Novice-locked safe and other loot. Access to the second floor is via the stairwell near the entrance, through a broken wall or up a ramp in the northern lecture hall, or up a ramp outside the southern lecture hall.
On the second floor at the top of the stairwell, to the north is a former tools shop (with Gerald's Novice-locked terminal), to the south is Jacq's terminal just outside the elevator, and between them is a stairway that leads up to the west to the third floor. Also on the second floor, in the southwestern section accessible via the ramp outside the southern first-floor lecture hall, is a reception room with another set of stairs up to the third floor.
On the third floor, the only notable areas are a professor's office in the northeast (with Jacq and her duffle bag as well as the professor's terminal), a former living quarters in the northwest (with a cooking stove), and doors to the west and east that lead back out to the Commonwealth.
- Campbell's safe password - From the main first-floor entrance, go through a broken hole in the wall on the right. In this small room, on the left side is a large mainframe; this is the student records terminal. Access it and navigate through the file structure until reaching the following entry: "Student Directory for 2077-2078" > "Enrolled Graduates" > "G-M." However, the password is obtained only after first viewing the entries in the professor's terminal on the third floor before accessing this student records terminal entry. Opens a Master-locked safe in University Credit Union's vault, which in turn has a button opening a secret room.
- Gerald's barricade key - On the second floor, under a cash register next to Gerald's terminal in the tools shop.
- Jacq's holotape - On the second floor, obtained from Jacq's terminal in front of the elevator.
- Tesla Science Magazine - On the third floor, go through the chained door in the junk wall west towards the main entrance and follow the railings into the big room, then pass through the hole in the wall surrounded by curtains. The magazine is on a small table to the left of the chalkboard, in the northwest area of the map.
- Jacq's note - On the third floor, in her duffle bag next to the professor's terminal.
- Mini nuke - In the same room as Jacq's note, on the ground behind the desk.
- Vault-Tec lunchbox - On the third floor, behind a toppled bench in a corner to the right of the eastern exit.
Sedgwick Hall appears only in Fallout 4.
Behind the scenes
The number written on the chalkboard in the room with the Tesla Science Magazine is the Coulomb constant, written out to sixteen decimal places. This is an exact value of the constant as was calculated prior to the 2019 redefinition of the SI base units.