Background[edit | edit source]
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
Biology[edit | edit source]
The creature possesses similar physical attributes to dolphins, with gray-white countershading, a prominent snout, and a blowhole above the eyes. Unlike its relatives, the sea creature has a short, stubby dorsal fin and a jaw lined with large triangular shark-like teeth. Nearly all specimens bear scars, suggesting competition among their own species, or that they are subject to predation. Many dead sea creatures are found being fed upon by mirelurks.
Gameplay attributes[edit | edit source]
The sea creature is always found deceased along the many coasts and rivers of the Commonwealth. Others appear to have been hauled onto boats by wasteland fishermen. Most can be found with their abdomens exposed, however, intact carcasses can be shot to cause the stomach to explode in a bloody fashion.
Locations[edit | edit source]
Fallout 4[edit | edit source]
- Two on the wreck of the USS Riptide.
- On a boat west of the Beantown Brewery.
- On a boat southwest of the Cambridge Polymer Labs.
- Along the northern coast of Spectacle Island.
- Deep underwater near a shipwreck to the northeast of Fort Strong.
- Found at such a depth that most player characters could drown or be lethally irradiated before finding it without the Aquaboy perk.
- On a platform covered in debris in Libertalia.
- At the bottom of the rocky mountain west of the Rook family house.
- On the beach in front of Sandy Coves Convalescent Home.
- In front of the boardwalk at Revere Beach station.
- Scattered throughout the docks behind the Shamrock Taphouse.
- Nine dead creatures (one of which has a human skeleton sticking out of its ruptured stomach and spawns a random melee weapon) can be found on a beach west of wreck of the FMS Northern Star.
- On the dock directly in front of the entrance to Hester's Consumer Robotics, a baby sea creature is found in a bathtub.
- An intact corpse can be found beached just south of Kingsport Lighthouse.
- Cranberry Island supply shed. Two can be found near the
Fallout 76[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The only instance of a living specimen is in the quest animation for the cut quest 20 Leagues Under the Sea.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- The sea creature was designed by Gabrielle Adams and created in ZBrush. It is referred to as the "exploding whale" in her ArtStation portfolio.
- The sea creature found on the boat west of Beantown Brewery is a reference to the film Jaws. On the boat, a skeleton with a blue jacket, blue bandana and a machete can be found with a dead sea creature nearby. The outfit clothing and machete are very similar to the ones worn and used by Quint in the film, while the positioning of the sea creature matches that of where Jaws emerges and kills Quint. Underneath the boat, one will also find a diving cage resting on the river bed.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Artstation, file names.
- Dolphin or whale in the game files. The teeth used for the model are typical of toothed whales, including dolphins or predatory whales.