|For an overview of shotgun models, see shotgun.|
A shotgun, also called a "scattergun," is a firearm designed to shoot a multitude of lead or steel balls of varying sizes, greatly increasing the weapon's hit potential. This makes it very effective at hunting game.[Fallout 2d20 1] However, the accuracy and power found at close range starts to diminish as the target gets farther away. Shotguns designed for the military's use are often called "combat shotguns."
The sawed-off shotgun is a break action, 12 gauge shotgun with most of the original barrel and stock removed to make it smaller and more easily concealed at the expense of range. Pulling the trigger fires both barrels at once, unleashing 14 pellets instead of the typical 7. While its damage-per-second is low, it inflicts incredible burst damage at close range. It inflicts more damage per shot than any other non-unique shotgun. The sawed-off shotgun is one of the most powerful non-unique conventional firearms in the game.
However, its incredible damage is offset by the fact that it has an extremely wide shot spread, the highest in the game. In addition, because it fires both barrels at once, it wears out fast, eats up more ammo than other shotguns, and must be reloaded after each shot, leaving the player vulnerable between shootings (even with its fast reload speed). The division of damage between separate projectiles will also decrease its effectiveness against armored targets, as the damage will be reduced per pellet. Thus, the sawed-off shotgun is best utilized as a "finishing" weapon against soft targets rather than a primary weapon: used either in cramped quarters such as tunnels and caves, or taken out to quickly finish off a charging enemy before they get too close. Utilizing the Shotgun Surgeon perk or appropriate ammo types does mitigate its inherently low damage per projectile against armored targets.
The sawed-off shotgun can fire a total of about 395 times, or 790 standard rounds, the equivalent of 395 reloads, from full condition before breaking. This amount is exactly the same as its unique variant.
|Standard, 4/0 buck, slug, coinshot, bean bag, flechette, Dragon's Breath & pulse slug||395||395|
|Magnum & 4/0 buck Magnum||343||343|
- Big Boomer, a unique variant carried by Old Lady Gibson.
- Special one used by Button man, which consumes magical companion ammo.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
- HELIOS One - One can sometimes be found (50% chance) in a toolbox in the pool table room.
- Atomic Wrangler Casino - There is a gun case in the back room behind the bar. Two sawed-off shotguns can be found, as well as some shells.
- Jessup carries a sawed-off shotgun.
- Gun Runners - Can be purchased from the Vendortron.
- Sawed-off shotguns are carried by the bartenders at The Tops and Gomorrah casinos.
- One can be received from Heck Gunderson during the quest Beyond the Beef. Right after contact with Chauncey, head back to Heck and tell him that his son was kidnapped and is being held in the hotel.
- Samuel Cooke carries a sawed-off shotgun.
- Should the player character help Cachino kill Big Sal and Nero during How Little We Know, he will hand the player character a sawed-off and 30 12 gauge Magnum shells when Nero's office is entered.
- Sloan - In the worker barracks, in an easy-locked cabinet. Must be stolen.
- Ralph of Mick & Ralph's carries a nearly 100% condition sawed-off shotgun.
- Mick at Mick & Ralph's sells sawed-off shotguns, once the player character passes a Speech check of 30 to gain access to his secret stash.
- Randomly carried by Fiends.
The sawed-off shotgun received a texture change from Fallout 3, changing the dark gunmetal and cherry wood to a nickel finish and plain wooden furniture, and the only legacy gun to receive such a texture change.
When in first person the weapon looks fine, but in third person, the barrels can be dettached from the grip.[verified]
- Fallout 2d20 Rulebook p. 98: "Before the Great War, double-barrel shotguns were mainly used for hunting and home defense, and this has changed little. They are break-action and come in an either a side-by-side or over-and-under barrel configuration. Simple to make and maintain, these shotguns are seen frequently in the Commonwealth and the rest of the wasteland."