SatCom array NW-05a is a satellite communications array, part of the SatCom arrays in the northwest of the Capital Wasteland in 2277. It is located further west of NN-03d, between Fort Constantine and the MDPL-05 power station.
Background[edit | edit source]
Layout[edit | edit source]
The SatCom array's interior opens into a large room with a staircase that leads up to a second floor with a workbench with a bottlecap mine on it. The stairs also lead to a small alcove with a ladder. Climbing the ladder will lead to the satellite dish at the top of the array.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Chinese Army: Special Ops Training Manual found near a terminal towards the left upon entering at the ground level.
- A bottlecap mine on top of a workbench inside the upper level.
- On the ghoul scientist's body are three notes. The two SatCom array coordinates will mark the other two SatCom arrays on the map when used with the computer at the top of the tower. The third holotape will activate "Highwater-Trousers" which is an orbital micro-nuclear weapons platform.
- Midway to the MDPL-05 power station to the west is a raider wharf with one mini nuke.
- There is also a Nikola Tesla and You at the raider wharf, on the roof of the boat. Inside the boat is a Stealth Boy.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- There are five armed frag mines positioned near the exterior entry door at ground level.
- For amusement purposes, the Highwater Trousers activation can be uploaded, taken from the dead scientist into the nearby terminal, and at any pace move up the ladder to the top of the dish (note that nothing will happen until moving from the spawn point). Once outside, a nuclear bombardment will occur around the tower. The explosions are ten times bigger than a mini nuke and leave no craters, but cause fairly high, quickly decreasing radiation (above 40 rads a second, near the center of impact). They can kill companions if they have been stationed near a location where a missile falls.
- The scientist cannot be enslaved using the Mesmetron - instead, she will frenzy. The resulting fire-fight typically ends with her death.
- One of the Talon Company sentries is on an upper catwalk that is not accessible from within the tower or by exterior ladder. The sentry gets up there by climbing the tower itself. Shooting him stops his climbing script, allowing him to be killed.
- Sometimes, after The Waters of Life, the Talon Company will be replaced with Enclave troopers.
- The interior is very similar to that of Old World Blues's X-2 transmitter antenna array, with the same escalating stairs form and ladder/exiting hatch to the dish.
- The locations of the two other SatCom arrays NN-03d and NW-07c (mentioned in the ghoul scientist's notes) will be put on the map in the Pip-Boy upon decryption using the computer terminal in the tower above.
- Both of the other SatCom arrays otherwise have no connection to the scientist's endeavor in making the orbital bombardment satellite work, as in both other locations there are no options for facilitating the satellite to move to other targets or the like.
- A short way to the southwest is a radioactive depression. After The Waters of Life, within the depression should be a few Enclave troops.
- Near the entrance, there is a sign indicating that the SatCom array is a fallout shelter, even though it is above ground.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
The SatCom Array NW-05a appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and is speculative and may not be accurate.|
The plan to avoid the United States' orbital nuclear arsenal is a reference to the canceled Van Buren project, the plot of which involved a scientist using the United States' orbital nuclear arsenal to purge the wasteland.
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|