|For an overview of the katana in the Fallout universe, see katana.|
Background[edit | edit source]
A katana is a type of Japanese sword with a blade length greater than 23.6-28.7 inches (60-73 centimeters) and characterized by its distinctive appearance: a curved, slender, single-edged blade, circular or squared guard, and long grip that can accommodate two hands. Often called a "samurai sword" or "samurai's sword" because of its use by the feudal warriors, it became a symbol of the samurai caste.
Renowned for its sharpness and cutting ability, its origins go back at least as far as the Kamakura Period (1185–1333). Most often held with two hands, some techniques and combat styles were performed with a one-handed grip. The katana was generally carried in a saya, or scabbard, manufactured from lightweight wood, with a coat of lacquer on the exterior and a wooden knob on one side for attaching a braided cord.
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
The samurai's sword deals higher damage than most other melee weapons. It has a higher critical damage than most bladed melee weapons, and has a relatively low AP cost compared to similar weapons, allowing for more attacks in V.A.T.S. The samurai sword is the oldest weapon in the game, originally being wielded by Toshiro Kago, a Japanese samurai.
Durability[edit | edit source]
The samurai's sword can successfully strike about 833 times from full condition before breaking.
Variants[edit | edit source]
- Chinese officer's sword - The common, non-unique variant.
- Vampire's Edge - The weakest of the Chinese officer's sword's unique variants, Vampire's Edge weighs only one pound, and is the only variant to use the regular sword's skin.
- Jingwei's shocksword - An electrified version of the Chinese officer's sword, the shocksword is much stronger and deals electrical damage over time.
- Clover's Cleaver - A Chinese officer's sword that was cut from the base game. It was intended to be used by Clover and was to be the Evil follower unique weapon, much like Fawkes' super sledge and Butch's Toothpick were for the other Karma levels.
- Katana - A variant of the samurai's sword that deals much less critical damage, but knocks foes down with critical hits.
Comparison[edit | edit source]
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|Chinese officer's sword||10||23.1||2.31||x2||15||28||0.7||1000||3||75||25|
- Note: Melee damage is doubled in V.A.T.S.
Location[edit | edit source]
The samurai's sword can be found in the waste disposal area of Zeta, accessible through the maintenance level (which can be entered only during the quest "Among the Stars"). It is at the outer southwest area in a closet full of medical supplies (see waste disposal article for a map (B) with the location marked). The sword should be acquired while Toshiro Kago still resides in the engineering core, for after his disappearance it will be gone from the shelves. It can, however, be found later, before the Lone Wanderer enters the Bridge: by simply killing Toshiro and looting his body. No one on the bridge will become hostile.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 When trying to exit the waste disposal area, the teleportation matrix might not work. PC users can fix it by selecting the teleporter in console and use the command "activate". [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 The sword might not appear if Toshiro Kago has been killed before entering the waste disposal area. On PC a workaround is "xx00BDB7".enable in the console.[verified]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 The sword may not appear even if Kago is not dead. [verified]
- Xbox 360 When decorating your Megaton house, the sword's image will not appear while idle. However, if you look directly at it and get close enough to pick it up, then the option to pick it up will appear - picking it up will place it in your inventory like normal even though you can't see it. [verified]
- Xbox 360 It is possible to acquire two swords. First, get the one in the waste disposal. When you return to the engineering core, drop it right in front of Toshiro. Talk to him and tell him you found his sword and he'll miraculously acquire one. Kill him and it will be on his body (just don't lose/forget the one you dropped). [verified]
- Fixed as of the most recent patch.
- Xbox 360 It is possible to equip Toshiro with his sword and still retain a copy. Reverse pickpocket the sword onto him, allow him to equip it, and pickpocket it back. [verified]
- Fixed as of the most recent patch.
Sounds[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]