On the westernmost side of the map, the entrance leads to a swamp consisting of a winding path populated with swamplurks, mirelurk hunters and swamplurk queens, all of which are found along the path towards the Mother Punga, a very large variant of the punga plant. Up to 35 regular punga plants are located around the Mother Punga plant.[Non-game 1]
- Walking with Spirits: Experiencing the halliculations brought on by the Mother Punga is a rite of passage, allowing one to find out more information about the local tribals for Desmond Lockheart.[Non-game 2]
- Directly north of the sacred bog entrance is a burned out house with some loot.
- The water inside the sacred bog has low levels of radiation. Drinking from most bodies of water inside the bog will heal 20 HP while only causing an increase of one unit of radiation. The exception is the body of water immediately prior to the Mother Punga plant, which has a normal level of radiation.
- Upon entering this location, fast travel is not available until exit from the sacred bog entrance has been achieved.
- The sacred bog has its own world map.
- The Lone Wanderer will still have hallucinations of Moira Brown's and Elder Lyons' dead bodies as well as Mister Break, even if the characters have not been met beforehand.
Behind the scenes
- Developers who worked on the creation of the sacred bog include Megan Sawyer,[Non-game 3] Jesse Tucker and Philip Nelson. According to Joel Burgess, much of the hallucination sequence was implemented by Jesse or Philip based on a concept by Joel.[Non-game 4][Non-game 5]
- The "buffer" cell of the sacred bog entrance was created due to engine limitations preventing direct travel from worldspace to worldspace.[Non-game 6]
- There are reports of unusually frequent crashes in this area. Upon investigating in the GECK, there is an activator in this cell that can cause some PCs to crash. There is a third party fix available. [verified]
- There is a possible bug that will allow one to remain under the swamp water just outside of the sacred bog entrance without affecting oxygen levels. [verified]
- There is a bug that if you have any temporary follower with you it will crash the game. [verified]
- Fallout 3 Official Game Guide Game of the Year Edition Wasteland Census p. 86, "Mother Punga"
"This is an enormous "seed," part of a huge wild bloom of the Punga fruit. The seeds nestle on a pod in the recessed part of the fruit. The plant shudders and releases a puff of pollen, said to cause vivid hallucinations."
- Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition Tour of Point Lookout p. 673, "The Ark & Dove Cathedral"
"The cathedral grounds and gate are inaccessible until you've completed the Ritual of Mother Punga, during Main Quest: Walking with Spirits."
- Megan Sawyer portfolio
- Fallout 4 Point Lookout Mod with Joel Burgess and Nate Purkeypile (57:52)
- Fallout 4 Point Lookout Mod with Joel Burgess and Nate Purkeypile (1:04:21)
- Fallout 4 Point Lookout Mod with Joel Burgess and Nate Purkeypile (59:30)