The vessel was in the process of being recovered by the U.S. military pre-War. It can be found at the sub recovery site. One Chinese submariner was captured from the sub, noted as John Doe. He was transferred to Turtledove Detention Camp after his capture. The report states that his skipper had killed himself and the submariner would have as well, but the cyanide capsule in his molar was a dud.
CHINESE NAVAL COMMAND
Vessel SSN-37-1A is ordered to patrol hostile waters between:
+38 3' 36.00", -76 18' 36.00"
+37 49' 41.61", -76 0' 37.02"
+37 5' 60.00", -76 1' 12.00"
Variations from patrol are tolerated as required by evasive circumstances. Crew is under strict instructions not to engage enemy if detected. Self-destruct protocol must be initiated in event of imminent capture. Status updates are required at six hour intervals by one-way burst comm on orbital frequency #K17.18.v121.
Above the waterline are a small stranded boat and a buoy. Below is a medium-sized submarine with a hatch on top. There is one accessible room, with two beds. The ladder leads straight into the roof and a pipe spraying water is also severed at another point but not leaking. There is a mainframe computer at the forward end of the chamber, and a generator leaking a green substance. Irradiated water covers the floor.
- The vessel is adjacent to another vessel that one cannot enter, under which is a locked safe and two first aid boxes.
- This location is unmarked on the map even with the Explorer perk until the quest.
- Discovering this location is not needed for the Bog Walker achievement.
- A personal footlocker (locked-Average) is below the bottom cot.
- This sub will be destroyed by the end of side quest The Velvet Curtain.
Behind the scenes
- The designation SSN is used by NATO countries to designate nuclear powered attack (or fleet) submarines.
- The coordinates refer to actual points around the Chesapeake Bay.[Non-canon 1]
- On the terminal screen, there's a Chinese idiom "Shì shàng wú nán shì, zhi pà you xin rén" (世上无难事, 只怕有心人) which briefly translate as "There's nothing impossible in the world if you put your mind to it."