Trader Rylee is a trader in 2287, originating from Vault 81. She can initially be found at Longneck Lukowski's Cannery, arguing with the current owner, Theodore Collins. Afterward, she may appear at any unmarked location for random encounters. Rylee can also be recruited as a level 4 settlement merchant, as soon as the trading emporium is unlocked and built at any settlement with a population of 10 or more.
Through dialogue, the Sole Survivor learns that Rylee grew up in Vault 81, hence the vault suit, but she left the vault to become a trader. Rylee also notes that her Pip-Boy broke, and she threw it away.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is a merchant.|| 103|
Sells: at trading emporium
|Vault 81 jumpsuit
Leather chest piece
Leather left arm
Metal right arm
Possible encounter locations
After the initial encounter she can be found at the following locations:
- The campfire northwest of Westing Estate. After fast traveling to the location, the player character only needs to follow the fence to their right, down to the riverbank. The site is unlit, but easy to spot, and is also a source of random encounters.
- The campfire south of Walden Pond. To find it, first go southeast from the pond's center to an unmarked trader in a shack (who sells both cat meat and sizable quantities of junk), then head due south from his dwelling. Immediately south of a field containing a large quantity of glowing fungus is a rock outcropping; the site is below this rock in a ravine. It is unlit and contains a partially eaten human skeleton along with an assortment of pet food dishes and dog armor. Random encounters also occur here.
- A campfire that is due southwest of Peabody house and some distance due south of the Quincy police station. It is an unlit campfire. It is also a source of random encounters.
- The campfire just off the road going east out of Concord, on the north end of the city. The campsite is lit by a fire, that doubles as a cooking station. It is also the site of random encounters.
- The campfire near Mass Fusion containment shed. Depending on how the direction the player character arrives from, they should circle the building until a lit campfire next to a pickup truck is located (beyond the fenced parking lot). SPECIAL NOTE: the site in question has a series of small side-quests which, if completed, will "dry up" the spot and no further encounters or NPCs will spawn there.
- Campsite southwest of Museum of Witchcraft. The campsite in question is an unlit lean-to with a bare mattress frame.
- The camping site due west of relay tower 1DL-109, on a dam walkway; while the campsite itself is unlit.
- A campsite to the east of the ArcJet Systems building. From the front of the building, go east on the road that runs right in front of it. Immediately after a stop sign on a road going south, is a dirt road that forks southeast of the thoroughfare. Immediately to the south and east of a small section of a wooden fence and a barrel that is on this path, lies the campsite which is unlit.
- At or around the Slog.
- As a settler, Rylee cannot be given weapons or apparel, as she does not have the settler trade dialogue.
- However, this can be negated by using the Intimidation perk (needs rank 3) on her, which, if successfully pacified, allows for her outfit and weapon to be changed. Note that she will remain hostile for 3 in-game days after releasing her.
- Rylee's inability to equip better weapons or armor is somewhat balanced out by the fact that, as a named NPC, she has more health than a generic unnamed settler.
- If assigned to a trading emporium she offers multiple shipments of a single building material.
- Rylee must first be encountered at the cannery before she will become a random encounter.
- During the recruiting process she might give a confused response to the player character's choice of settlement and in consequence is not successfully recruited. This can eventually be solved by reinitiating the dialogue and choosing the settlement again or it may help to choose a different settlement. Either way, there should be an affirmative response from her.
- If she gives the "I'm confused" response to being recruited her bug has been triggered (see Bugs below). She may still go to the assigned settlement after being asked again but usually, 17 out of 20 times tested, she will disappear. This bug is caused by assigning her to a settlement with less than 10 population.
Trader Rylee appears only in Fallout 4.
- Longneck Lukowski's Cannery, she may walk away in mid-conversation, possibly locking-out a dialogue branch.[verified] If one talks to Rylee while she is still inside
If she is successfully recruited and moved to a settlement, she may permanently disappear after a while, ending up in an inaccessible test cell. In her absence, she will still count towards the settlement's population, and remain allocated to any assigned role.[verified]
- prid 0003eff3 command to select Rylee, then use the function disable, followed by enable, then moveto player. She can be returned using console commands. Use the
She may never lose her status as "hireable," continually offering the dialogue choice of being able to be recruited, and may continue to perform a default action (such as farming) even when assigned to a trader stand in the settlement, and acting/speaking as if the player character had met her in the game world.[verified]
- resetquest DialogueTraderRylee and then talk about her vault suit. A potential fix is to use the console command
- When trying to recruit her she may not go to settlement and also may continue to offer the dialogue choice of being recruited and each time you offer the job in the settlement, the settlement personnel number may rise by one each time you offer.[verified]
As of patch 1.08 on the PS4 and PC, it is possible that she will not offer in dialogue the option to be recruited if one has already completed Mystery Meat and meets her later. The dialogue option of "People getting sick?" may remain even after it has been discussed.[verified]
- This bug may be the result of the "People getting sick?" dialogue option checking if quest stage "016" of Mystery Meat is currently not set. If so, the option will appear. If this option is discussed after Mystery Meat is already at a higher quest stage, that particular stage may never be set which would cause this dialogue option to always appear.
- However, it is possible to use the console to move her to settlement and make her the player character's level 4 merchant, but the "People getting sick?" will remain. (If one uses the console to teleport to her, the player will find themself in the sandbox)
- Another possible workaround would be to create a custom mod that makes the "People getting sick?" dialogue option (and the relevant reply from Rylee) to be only said once. Alternatively, the dialogue could be modified to use different logic on when it ought to appear.
If the player character does not talk to Lukowski after the initial argument between Rylee and him, then go outside and talk to her, with all requirements met, and recruit her, she may respond with "I'm confused," and the option to send her to a settlement will be removed. She will go to the settlement and become part of the settlement, but there is no way to change her equipment.[verified]
- Using prid 0003eff3 and openactorcontainer 4 will allow you to interact with her inventory temporarily.
- Automatron add on has been installed, then Rylee may become permanently disabled, and you will be unable to find her for recruitment. [verified]
If Rylee has left the Longneck Lukowski's Cannery and can no longer be found or followed with the
- Using prid 0003eff3, disable, enable, and moveto player resolves the problem.