- 1 Background
- 2 Interactions with the player character
- 3 Inventory
- 4 Notes
- 5 Notable quotes
- 6 Appearances
- 7 Behind the scenes
- 8 Bugs
- 9 Gallery
- 10 See also
- 11 References
Cass mentions that her father left to once more wander the wastes while she was still young, and she was raised by her mother, a former tribal from east of the Colorado River. She mentions that her father only left her a name and a pendant.
When first encountered by the Courier, Cass is drowning her sorrows at the Mojave Outpost bar. NCR Ranger reports have reached her that her caravan has been attacked and "burned to ash," placing an even greater burden on her shoulders. However, threats along the road into New Vegas and problems with NCR paperwork have so far prevented her from leaving the outpost to investigate the attack. She is very outspoken on the NCR and Caesar's Legion, mostly pointing out the bureaucratic messes of the NCR and the Legion's treatment of women, but does concede that Legion supply lines are "safe as houses", unlike NCR supply lines.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed. Status expires when Hardcore mode begins.|
|This character is a permanent companion. They grant the Whiskey Rose perk.|
|This character starts quests.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
- Birds of a Feather: The Courier is sent by Jean-Baptiste Cutting to either kill Cass or lure her to the Silver Rush to be killed. Completing Heartache by the Number first makes the Van Graff faction hostile, disabling the option to talk to Jean-Baptiste Cutting to complete this mission.
- Heartache by the Number: The Courier recruits Cass as a companion, then investigates her sacked caravan and helps exact revenge on the perpetrators. Successfully completing Cass' companion quest will give her one of two perks:
- You Can Depend on Me: The Courier is sent by Alice McLafferty to convince Cass to sell her caravan.
- To recruit Cassidy, the player must make a speech or barter check of 50. Alternatively, Cass's Whiskey Challenge can be done with 75 barter by gathering 12 bottles of whiskey, of which 3 will be consumed.
- When asked about her combat skills, Cass says she is skilled in explosives and unarmed combat, but unskilled with melee weapons. She has melee weapons as a tagged skill but is unskilled in explosives and unarmed combat. However, when it comes to her talking about her explosives skill, she only talks about using dynamite, an item with no skill requirements.
- Cass is capable of wearing non-faction power armor.
- If any amount of whiskey is put Cass' inventory, she will drink it leaving only Empty whiskey bottles.
- Once she joins the Courier as a companion, Rose of Sharon Cassidy will give them the recipe for Cass' moonshine, craftable at campfires or electric hot plates. If the Courier has all of the ingredients on hand, she can also craft moonshine for them without needing a campfire.
- Already having the max amount of companions and asking Cass to join may make her respond with not being "in the mood for a threesome. Today."
- When asked about the monuments outside the Mojave Outpost, after her response, there will be an option to tell her what the statues actually depict with at least an accepted reputation by the NCR.
- If the player has at least 6 Endurance, challenging Cass to a drinking contest will result in her complimenting them on their endurance, though they will still lose. If the Endurance stat is 8 or more, then Cass will lose and end in a drunken stupor, dismissing all three (or four) of the Couriers at once.
- If labeled as a Terrorist by the NCR, Cass will always be hostile to the Courier even when disguised but not while she's currently an active companion. She may also ambush the Courier after fast traveling to a location.
- Cass will make periodic random comments about almost every location she visits with the Courier. She also makes comments about the changes caused by the Courier's intervention. As of patch 220.127.116.115, Cass became far less vocal; she still has unique dialogue concerning many of the major locations in the game, but will only make a random comment once every 24 hours instead of every single time a location is visited. Comments include:
|Rose of Sharon Cassidy's comments|
|Red Rock Canyon||"These boys and girls can really down the bottles."|
"Whiskey and liquor don't last long around here, by the sight of it."
"Wonder if any of these folks would be up for shots of courage - and a wager."
"Be *really* careful what you say here."
"Should have heard stories of the Khans years ago - they were one tough bunch, now..."
"Khans lost their strength after Bitter Springs, came here to lick their wounds."
"Let's not split up here, all right?"
"Don't take any chems here - hell knows what they're laced with."
"Won't trade with Khans - they've poisoned most of the villages west of Vegas with chems."
"Fiends would suffer withdrawal and die without the Khans."
"Place would be beautiful... without the chem addicts and dealers."
"Have a Vegas-style boxing ring in the center there."
"Really wish we could go to some civilized places."
"Even the flies here are chemed."
"God, you can smell the Brahmin shit from the jet all over this place."
|Generic wasteland||"Sure could use a drink."|
"All this traveling's making me thirsty."
"Careful if we go off the road."
"Don't mind trailblazing as long as we got the ammo. And whiskey."
"Feels good not to have to drag a Brahmin train across the Mojave."
"Glad I left the Outpost behind."
"Caravan of two now."
|Bitter Springs||"Heard NCR recon fucked up here once, with the Khans."|
"Heard NCR drove the Khans out of here, to Red Rock."
"Place stinks of sand, piss, and vomit."
"Watch out - easy to get sick around here."
|Black Mountain||"Crazy ass radio signals around here, couldn't make sense of them."|
"Place sets geiger counters ticking."
"No idea why the highest point in the Mojave is so rad-lit."
|Camp Guardian||"Just goes to show you, no matter where you go, there's NCR trying to hold onto every corner of the world."|
"Guess they chose this spot to spy on Caesar."
"Guess NCR's fish food."
"Those dogs look like they could savage a Securitron."
"We go across that launch, we may not come back."
"This is the only place to cross the Colorado safely."
"I hope we're not planning to cross the river."
"Only merchants, slaves and Legion come here."
|Camp Forlorn Hope||"Another proud NCR camp."|
"Probably chose this place because of the water supply."
"Morale looks low."
"I smell Hydra in the air, just a whiff."
|The Fort||"Be damn careful here."|
"Don't like the way the men are looking at me."
"Can't believe you want to talk to this guy."
"Women might as well be dirt... not anxious to join them."
"Wish these women would take knives to Caesar's troops in their beds."
|The Fort (the return)||"Can't belive we're fucking back here."|
"Testing our luck coming back here."
"You sure you know what you're doing?
They try and put one of those Brahmin packs on me, they're asking for a gelding. Going to get gelded."
"Can't say I've seen a smile on anyone's face since we arrived.
Hope NCR wipes Caesar off the map."
"Guess the tent belongs to the big man."
"Not much future in the Legion if you don't have a dick."
"I'm heading back West if Caesar moves on the Dam."
"Not looking forward to being a Legion wife."
|Hidden Valley||"What's that hum?"|
"Watch for scorpions."
"Doesn't fell like the rest of the Mojave here."
"Storms pick up quick around here."
|Hoover Dam||"Check out those guns - rumor had it they used to shoot planes down before the war."|
"Place always wants me to take a piss."
"Ever look down the Dam? Sends your head spinning."
"Wish I'd packed a jacket."
"Only seen snow, not walked through it. Crazy - frozen water? Should package this shit."
"Heard they could make "ice" in the Old World and carry it around."
"Once here, most just stall out, can't go deeper into territory."
"From here, it's Nipton to the east or Primm to the north."
"And here's the slice of the world where NCR's hands start slipping."
"Where's the mine from here?"
|Nipton||"I think I'm going to be sick."|
"Nipton wasn't the best towns, but..."
"Mayor Steyn got what was coming to him, looks like."
"Mayor here used to shelter gangers, hear tell. Guess it didn't save him."
"Who the hell was that?"
"I... hope they don't hit the Mojave Outpost."
|Quarry Junction||"Smells like deathclaw."|
"Looks like this place got wrecked."
"Looks like this place go mined - in the wrong ways."
|Boulder City||"Should hit the Big Horn saloon here."|
"Heard there's still mines in the city - and maybe drunk NCR soldiers spoiling for a fight."
"There's a bar in the intact section, careful if you go wandering around the ruined section."
|Camp Golf||"Not much reason to ship water here, but liquor... hard to meet demand."|
"If NCR didn't grate me so, I'd come here for water resupply."
"Used to ship a lot of liquor here, soldiers here have too much free time."
"If there's a reason to attack NCR, Camp Golf's a reason."
"Watch out for the Misfits here - 9th Platoon, word of their fuck-ups is legendary."
"Golf was a president, I think. Maybe for NCR."
"Heard this used to be a mine field from some of the troopers here."
"Each spot for a land mine is numbered, hear tell."
"Well, Hanlon sure let this place go to shit."
"Lot of sites to this guy Golf all over the West."
|Fiend territory||"Shit. Fiends."|
"Smells like Fiends."
"Can smell the chem labs and Jet from here."
"Make sure you have a backup weapon, Fiends don't go down easy."
"Watch for dogs."
"Heard tell there was a Vault somewhere around here."
|Freeside||"Hometown of the Van Graffs, don't care for this place too much."|
"We shouldn't be in here."
"Water's scarce, but between things like this and Lake Mead, ain't too bad in the West as in other places."
"Watch out for the Kings, they're unpredictable."
"Once had a King following me like I was following you - had to chase him off with a shotgun finally."
"Kings told me I couldn't deal water here, fuckers. They like having mono. As in monopoly."
"Ralph might be able to forge a pass into the Strip for you, you need one."
"Looking for weapons, check out Mick and Ralphs... Mick's probably a sight better than Ralph, always trying to talk me out of my pants."
"Kings are led by the King. Has some kind of robot dog. Guess it hunts robot rats."
"Kings hold control over the water pump 'round here."
|NCR Correctional Facility||"Looks like prisoners are in charge now."|
"No guards in the towers, not a good sign."
"Guess NCR fucked this place, too."
|Nellis Air Force Base||"Folks here have access to Lake Mead, fresh drinking water."|
"Careful, Boomer territory. They ain't hostile, but they're a bit trigger happy."
"Boomers are a might twitchy."
"Folks here aren't friendly to anyone."
"Don't be shooting wild in here - might set something off."
"First time I seen a fence made out of artillery."
"Some of these weapons look like they came from Hawthorne Army Depot, place has a lot of history."
"Can hear the screaming of rockets and explosions in this place at night."
"Got nests for planes here."
"An assault on this place would be suicide."
|Novac||"This place reminds me the Old World had too much time on its hands."|
"Named this place after the hotel."
"NoVac's the hotel, not the lizard."
"Smells like junk."
"Can see Dinky for miles, good landmark."
"First saw this place, thought the giant gecko was real."
"Read a book that giant lizards walked the earth like this one - might be a gecko this size."
|Primm||"Said there's a courier office here?|
Sign of the buffalo."
"Ah, Bison Steve, you old shithole."
"Those post office boxes in these old towns still work."
"Good contact, Nash, used to be here. Had a son that went West."
"Old World had cars that ran on roads like these above the ground, 'cept they didn't go anywhere."
"The sheriff here ain't worth a damn."
"Crazy ass shit."
|"Ranger Station"||"Rest stop."|
"NCR's friendly, might be able to resupply."
"A little safe ground."
"NCR flag - not safe, close to it, though."
|New Vegas Strip||"Chairmen, Omertas... a whole bunch of families rule Vegas, don't step out a line as long as money's to be made."|
"Welcome to sin. Watch where you step."
"Watch for NCR vomit."
"Hope you're not here to chase your losses."
"Now to find a bar."
"Don't understand how the missiles could have missed a target like this."
"Can't believe we got in here."
"Dad used to say this place was what Reno tried to be. ."
"Place feels like the Sorcerer of Oz sometimes."
"Heard stories about the Lucky 38, how nobody's ever gone inside - 'cept you, that is."
|NCR||"Be careful they don't charge us any tolls."|
"Don't tell them where we're from - or headed."
- With Cass as a companion, opening a conversation with her with a negative Karma (-100) will make her complain about the Courier's behavior. With a Speech check of 65, she can be convinced about trying to improve one's demeanor or simply acknowledging her discontent and continuing the conversation. Speaking to her again with even less Karma (-150) brings a second confrontation. She can again be promised improvement with a Speech check of 65.
- After the second confrontation, Cass stops complaining as long as the Courier stays Neutral (Karma -249 or higher). Talking to her again with Evil Karma (-250 or less) will make her automatically disband, with no way of convincing her to stay.
- Telling Cass to go back to her family and saying they are dead will turn her hostile (she must first be asked about her family).
- Talking to Cass repeatedly, regardless of topic, with Evil Karma (-250 or below) will make her disband.
- Cass will never launch the Heartache by the Number quest while the Courier has Evil Karma, but it can be continued if already active.
Non-player character comments
- Nightkin: Head voices say they knew flower girl's father.
- NCR civilians: Your merchant friend would make a fine NCR woman.
- Boomers: Whatever you're selling, we have plenty.
- Fiends: I wouldn't mind hitting that. She put out?
- Powder Gangers: Tough-looking woman. Something tells me she aims for the crotch.
- Followers: Isn't that Cass? I heard she'd gotten out of the caravan business.
- Freesiders: Check out the Wrangler if she needs booze.
- The Kings: Hellooo, cowgirl! You mind if talk to your lady friend a bit instead of you?
- Omertas: Let me know if the pretty lady with you is looking for some work.
- Outer Vegas denizens: Your merchant friend is always welcome among us.
This section is transcluded from Fallout: New Vegas endings. To change it, please edit the transcluded page.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Cass's caravan shotgun
Cass's combat knife
|Bottle cap x13
Empty whiskey bottle
- Cass is the only companion that requires the Courier to pass a skill check to recruit.
- If she is offered to Mortimer during the quest Beyond the Beef, he will comment that she could skip the whiskey marinade, but everything else is in eatable condition except her liver.
- When sent to the Lucky 38, a message will show saying "Cass has gone... reluctantly... to the Lucky 38."
- Though it is not directly stated, it is heavily implied that Cass is the daughter of John Cassidy. They share a surname and many of the same skills, such as hand to hand combat and a proficiency with shotguns. She also seems to have inherited his heart condition, as she will mention it if the Courier speaks to her while under their effects.
- "Who you are comes from the choices you make when life gets tough."
- "They try to put their stake in everything they see. Nobody's dick's that long, not even Long Dick Johnson, and he had a fucking long dick. Thus, the name."
- "Crimson Caravan and the Van Graffs... they were behind burning these caravans, and they've got to answer for them. I'm going to get some extra ammo, a few bottles of whiskey, then show them how Cassidys settle accounts."
- "Mojave's almost buzzing like a cazador now... must be the blood Legion and NCR spilling over the Colorado."
- "NCR and their goddamn nicknames, as if Caesar himself is gonna piss and run if he hears them."
- "Used to call me "Whiskey Rose" back West, before I punched enough people, so now they say it, but quiet and when I'm not around."
- "I don't mind trailblazing as long as we've got the ammo... and whiskey."
- "Shh... we're hunting shitheads."
- "Never realized had all that anger in me. Makes me wonder how much more I can settle with bullets. You know, when I first heard about them, I was so mad, but there was this little part of me that said, "you can't do to them what they did to you." I say fuck that part. I feel purified, and I love the fact that there's no more loose ends."
- "Just doesn't feel right, trading history for a slip of paper."
- "You know, I was just going to give you a piece of my mind. And now? Now I'm going to put you down."
- "Short of caps is what taught me, mostly. Ammo's expensive... so I learned to make every shot count. And hear tell, my Dad was a crack shot, so I don't want to dirty the family name. Not out of pride - respect."
- "What did you just say to me? Cause you sure as hell got my attention now."
- "What did you... did you put a plug in his cocktube and make him explode?."
Rose of Sharon Cassidy appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes
|Behind the scenes|
- Interview with Chris Avellone
- Fallout: New Vegas 10th Anniversary Charity Stream (reference starts at 2:19:16)
Joshua Sawyer: "'What was the issue with Ulysses as a companion?' His dialogue was... his recorded dialogue was so big it literally wouldn't fit on the disk. [laughter] I don't remember how many lines it was, it was like... Cass was our second-biggest companion after Ulysses, and then Ulysses, was like, much, much, much more than her and literally just wouldn't fit. He was too big - too powerful. [...] 'Couldn't you cut a lot of his dialogue?' It happened so late in development that that didn't seem practical. Yes, if we had realized that earlier in development then probably, yes."
- J.E. Sawyer's Formspring
- Bethsoft forum
- Gamasutra forum