One of the many slaves held at Paradise Falls, 30-year-old Rory remains here until someone wishes to purchase him. Unlike some of his fellow slaves, Rory is obsessed with escaping and spends every waking minute pondering ways of tunneling, creeping, or bludgeoning his way out of Paradise Falls. He is not about to be pushed around and has assaulted his captors several times. He's been placed permanently in "the Box," where unruly slaves await their fate.[Non-canon 1][clarification needed]
Interactions with the player character
|This character is a temporary companion.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
|This character drops an ear upon death (Contract Killer).|
Effects of player's actions
Once freed, he will travel to Moriarty's Saloon. Provided he survives, he will stand in the room to the right where Mr. Burke is found. When attempting dialogue, he will only say "Hey. Talk fast, they hate it when I talk to customers."
- The key to "the Box" where Rory Maclaren is being held prisoner is located on a small table in Eulogy's Pad next to the heart-shaped bed.
- If one wants him to live, tell him that he is on his own, then wait an hour. He will be in Moriarty's Saloon in Megaton.
- If the slavers are attacked before reaching "the Box," he will be found dead.
- Rory's collar cannot be removed, even if he is no longer in Paradise Falls.
- If one were to enter an indoor building and tell Rory to wait there, leave Paradise Falls without him and return later, he will still be there, though one is unable to free him, and entering a conversation with him will result in him saying the same lines as he would in Megaton.
- "What? Are you kidding me? This is another one of Forty's tricks isn't it. Well I'm not falling for it."
- "That's it, huh? Just toss me out of the box and into the meat grinder? Thanks for nothing, asshole."
- "Penny? She wanted you to set me free? I owe that little girl a lot. I'll have to try and make it up to her someday. Okay, what do we do?"
Rory Maclaren appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes
His line "Can't nobody eat fifty eggs," is a reference to the film Cool Hand Luke.
- Rescue from Paradise it is possible he will continue to do so even after he has reached the Paradise Falls front gates. This can happen by accident, but can be deliberately caused by fast-traveling away from the front gate as soon as possible. [verified] If Rory is following you during
- If one convinces Penny to leave Rory behind he will remain in "the Box." If the player character unlocks the door and speaks to him, he will repeat the "Talk fast" dialogue. [verified]
- If one kills the guard to get the key to "the Box," when you open it, Rory may be lying dead inside. [verified]
- If the player character has Rory follow them and immediately destroys Megaton he will carry on following them with the only dialogue option being "Hey. Talk fast, they hate it when I talk to customers." [verified]