This area contains one of the Capital Wasteland's highest concentration of super mutants and consists of three main buildings: Roosevelt Academy, Roosevelt Library, and Roosevelt Arts and Athletics Hall. Before the Great War, the academy served as a private school for the D.C. area. After the bombs fell and the dust settled, the super mutants from Vault 87 came and settled in the ruined buildings, as well as the areas surrounding the campus.
The maintenance and evacuation tunnels connect the three buildings via a subterranean route. The tunnels are patrolled by centaurs and super mutants. The super mutants have two captives tied up behind locked doors. Be mindful of where any shooting takes place as there are several gas leaks throughout the complex of tunnels as well. The tunnel's library entrance is hidden underneath a trapdoor which is activated by an electrical switch on the wall.
Maintenance and evacuation tunnelsEdit
- Pugilism Illustrated on a shelf in a room just east of the sloping sewer tunnel (with radioactive barrels to the north) that leads to Roosevelt Library. Just behind an Average locked door if coming from the library entrance to the tunnels.
- Pugilism Illustrated in the men's bathroom near Dean Dewey's office, in the north most stall next to a dead raider.
- Pre-War book in the headmaster's office on the desk, near the southeast corner of the local map.
- D.C. Journal of Internal Medicine on a desk in the southeast corner of the nurse's office, near the southwest corner of the local map.
Roosevelt Arts and Athletics HallEdit
- Pre-War book on a bookcase in a room behind the stage, nearest the stairs along the northern side of the ground floor.
- Sheet music book on the floor of the eastern side of the stage near the music stands.
- Tumblers Today on the third floor, in a room adjacent to the locker room, on a desk with two ammunition boxes and a working radio.
- Nuka-Cola Quantum on the desk in the main room on the first floor.
- Two Stealth Boys: one on the desk, one in the ladies' bathroom on the floor to the right of the toilet.
- Roosevelt library key looted from the super mutant inside, who wields a minigun.
- The academy seems to have a large amount of train wreckage littering the outside.
- In the Roosevelt Academy building, there is a protectron unit which may be activated by a terminal in the headmaster's office. The protectron, "Dean Dewey," will ask the player character to present a hall pass. The player character will then be attacked, although this can be avoided with the Robotics Expert perk or Child at Heart perk. He will also escort "special" characters (that is, those with Intelligence below 3) to a special education room.
- In the Arts and Athletics Hall, there is a unique miniature city building on the stage.
- East of Roosevelt Academy, there is a unique hostile raider, "a wanderer," who may be found along with their camp. They possess the unique Wanderer's leather armor and their camp nearby has a mini nuke, a pre-War book, and two ammunition boxes.
- The sheet music book may be located on the roof of the small fake building to the right (closest to the music stands).
- In the Mojave Wasteland, there is an eyebot named ED-E with a bumper sticker on its side that reads "My child is an Honor Student at Roosevelt Academy."
- In the underground tunnels, there are a number of child-sized skeletons, indicating that some sort of evacuation or attempt to take shelter was made.
Behind the scenesEdit
Roosevelt Academy is based on the real world location of Theodore Roosevelt High School in Washington, D.C. The in-game school's protectron refers to the school as Roosevelt "High School," as opposed to "Academy," when activated at the headmaster's terminal.
Playstation 3 Xbox 360 As you enter the Maintenance and Evacuation tunnel from the Roosevelt Academy, you may notice a random explosion go off near a group of radioactive barrels. This is caused by a grenade bouquet that is set off by a bunch of objects set on the floor that twitch and knock a precariously placed radioactive barrel into the bouquet. You can dodge this by not bumping anything until you disarm the bouquet. [verified]