The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
Ron Staples is a traveling bartender that can be found in a random encounter. If the one settlement, or network of settlements linked by supply lines, has a population of over twenty, he can be recruited and function as a legendary trader.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is a temporary companion.|
|This character is a permanent companion. They grant the - perk.|
|This character is a doctor.|
|This character is a merchant.||Caps: -|
|This character can repair items.||Repair cap: -|
|This character can modify weapons.||
|This character rents beds.||Cost: - caps.|
|This character starts quests.||
|This character is involved in quests.||
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Patched three-piece suit|
- Campfire northeast of Museum of Freedom.
- Under a motorway exit bridge east of Walden Pond.
- East of Museum of Witchcraft.
- North of Starlight Drive-In near the railway.
- Campfire northwest of Westing Estate.
- Northwest of Relay tower 0BB-915.
- Campfire southwest of Peabody House.
- Campfire west of Graygarden, between Graygarden and ArcJet Systems.
- Campfire southwest of Mass Fusion containment shed.
- Campfire west of Bedford Station.
- Ruined House south of Drumlin Diner.
- South of University Point.
- Southwest of Relay tower 1DL-109, next to the bunker at the east end of the ship hoist.
- If assigned to a level 3 Restaurant in a settlement, it becomes a level 4 Restaurant with special items.
- Ron has two store containers associated with his character: the items he carries when you encounter him, and a special container meant to activate when assigned to a tier 3 vendor stand. However, Ron's file incorrectly checks to see if he's been assigned to a trading emporium, and not a restaurant. This error was also carried into Parker Quinn's character file.
Ron Staples appears only in Fallout 4.
- PC After you assign him to a settlement, he continues to sit at the campfire rather than walking towards the settlement, and he will never show up there. [verified]
- Possible solution is to head to the settlement where he is wanted once recruited. Then use the prid command in the console to select Ron, then use the function disable, followed by enable, then moveto player.
- Another solution is to use the disable function on Ron at the campfire location, then fast travel away and back so as to allow another random merchant to spawn/trigger at that location. Then, re-enable Ron. Since the new merchant will be occupying the campfire site, Ron won't be able to, and will travel to the assigned location once recruited.
- Fixed as of Patch 1.4
- PC Ron is unable to be recruited. When encountered as part of his random event or when moveto'ed using console commands he won't present the player character with the option to recruit him. This can occur when the player character meets the minimum requirement for his recruitment in at least one settlement. Type Prid 00192357, enable, Moveto Player while inside a settlement, setpv bAllowMove 1, setpv bAllowCaravan 1, setpv bCommandable 1, fast travel far away and back, hit move and set a settlement than hit move again and send him to the settlement you want him at. then you should be able to issue commands. [verification overdue]
- PC After successfully recruiting him and he shows up in your settlement, assigning him to a bar does not unlock the tier 4 inventory (or even tier 3). He will still hold the same inventory he had when initially found and, even though already recruited, will still have the dialog option to recruit him. After several days of in-game play time he will eventually disappear and need to be recruited again, just to have the same thing happen. To fix this, simply go into command mode, and hit R to move Ron Staples. Send him somewhere else other than the settlement you are at/want him at. Then as he starts to walk away, hit R on him again and tell him to go back to wherever it was you wanted him, then assign him to the bar. It appears the issue may be that his WorkshopID value never gets set to the proper variable, and thus he is unable to be "assigned" to the bar (Note: He will still claim to have a "limited selection" despite this fix, and actually having an expanded selection). [verification overdue]
- Xbox One When attempting to trade with Ron, the player's inventory does not display on the left side of the interface. [verification overdue]
- Xbox One After recruiting Ron and assigning him to a workshop, he may show up in a subsequent random encounter. He will disappear from the previous settlement, though he still counts under that settlement's population. [verified]