The rocky cave (also known as Virgil's laboratory) is a location in the Commonwealth in 2287. Brian Virgil has chosen this cave as his refuge, as it is deep within the Glowing Sea and out of the Institute's grasp.
The cave entrance is a small cavity in a larger rock structure that opens up to a wider passage. At the end of the passage lies an opening, guarded by two turrets, to a chamber that has been furnished with laboratory equipment, including a Chemistry station and a small living quarters.
- Virgil's rifle - On Virgil's body if he is killed or pickpocketed.
- Tesla Science Magazine Issue #3 - On the desk next to the terminal.
- A mini nuke - Under a shelf beside the terminal inside.
- A Stealth Boy - On the shelf under which the mini nuke is.
- A Vault-Tec lunchbox - On the shelf next to the steamer trunk (taking contents is theft, but one may open and take the box itself).
- Super mutant aviator cap - On the third shelf directly to the right of the red steamer trunk.
- Super mutant bracers - On top of the coal cart.
- Virgil will not be present until the quest The Glowing Sea is obtained.
- If any of the turrets or the Protectron are destroyed prior, the quest The Glowing Sea will fail immediately upon re-entering the cave.
- The two turrets and Protectron inside the cave are not hostile unless provoked.
- According to the terminal in the room, Virgil had tried to control his mutation but was unable due to the lack of tools. The logs also mentioned the "Children of the Atom."
- Outside the cave is a sleeping deathclaw.
- radscorpions may come up out of the ground before entering or after exiting the cave.
- All owned items will become free to take after finishing Virgil's Cure.
- After Virgil is cured, his super mutant-style bed and cooking station turn into a normal bed and cooking station, usable by the player character.
The rocky cave appears only in Fallout 4.