Rockopolis is a hidden underground settlement that was abandoned sometime before the year 2277. An easy way to locate Rockopolis is to head directly west from Smith Casey's garage. Eventually, the Lone Wanderer will encounter a ravine blocking the path. Drop into the ravine and traverse it forward to Rockopolis.
According to files on Herbert Dashwood's computer and the accounts of The Adventures of Herbert "Daring" Dashwood on Galaxy News Radio (the "Black Widow" episode), Rockopolis was once a hidden underground village. The inhabitants would only allow outsiders if they conducted a secret knock. The leader of Rockopolis at the time was King Crag. Herbert accidentally led Penelope Chase, the slaver leader from Paradise Falls, to Rockopolis.
According to Herbert Dashwood's computer, the incident led to the enslavement of the city's population and the destruction of the city itself. The fact that the population was enslaved is confirmed by the note found here. Part of Rockopolis is blocked off by a pile of rocks, but there is nothing behind the rocks.
The entrance is a boulder that can be interacted with like any other door or entrance. One dead tree is on the right of the entrance, two are on the left. And as the attached pictures show, there is a length of bunting above the boulder. It is easiest to find at night, as there are lights glowing on the rock face as you approach it from the east. The entrance is very close to the center of that particular square on the map. A random encounter location is near the entrance. There is a string of multicolored plastic triangle pennants (much like those found in Little Lamplight) above the entrance boulder.
If one approaches from above, they'll see a small canyon. If continuing to look down, one will see a soft glow. Jumping down will allow entrance to Rockopolis without ever having seen the exterior.
The only accessible section of Rockopolis is now a small area with some random objects. The tunnel to what was the rest of Rockopolis itself is permanently blocked by rocks. The area has the appearance of a cave-dwelling but lacks any beds. The corpse of Argyle can be found near the cave in.
- Rollings -- We're done is a holotape found on a desk near the ladder.
- Unarmed bobblehead is located next to Argyle's body, a reference to his use of martial arts during his adventures with Herbert "Daring" Dashwood.
- While Rockopolis does not show up on the Pip-Boy "world map," its entrance is clearly marked on the Pip-Boy "local map" which will be helpful locating it.
- The note "Rollings -- We're Done" foreshadows Fallout 3's second add-on, The Pitt.
- Outside Rockopolis is one of the possible locations of the random event for a special encounter.
Rockopolis appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenesEdit
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 It is possible to become stuck in a small pit if the player climbs on the rocks that are to the left of Argyle's body. To escape on PC turn off collision in the console with the tcl command. To escape on Xbox 360 and PS3 versions, head to the end of the pit behind the rocks and jump up them till you're on top, head back left (jumping if necessary) until you're clear of potential obstructions, then simply walk back down. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Argyle's body may not appear upon entering. [verified]