Rockopolis is an unmarked location at the western edge of the Capital Wasteland, north of Girdershade and southeast of the yao guai tunnels. It was once a hidden subterranean village and kingdom until it was overrun by slavers in the 2250s.
Background[edit | edit source]
Some time between the Great War and 2248, Rockopolis was settled, and established a kingdom. In the summer of that year, their isolationist leader King Crag gave shelter to Herbert Dashwood and Argyle. Not long after, there was an incident between Dashwood and the King Crag's daughter, and as a result, he and Argyle were exiled. The settlement would remain one of the safest places in the Capital Wasteland until 2250/1.
Its demise was brought about accidently by Dashwood and Argyle. While traveling with Penelope Chase, under the assumption she was a "fortune hunter," Miss Chase noticed that they were near the hills where the hidden village of Rockopolis was located. When she lamented not knowing where it was, Dashwood immediately cut her off, and in an attempt to impress her, started bragging about how he and Argyle were old friends of the settlement, further revealing that they knew the secret knock and more. Argyle showed his displeasure in so readily trusting the woman with such privileged information. Dashwood cut off Argyle, assuring him that Miss Chase would not violate the secrets of Rockopolis, and furthermore, they needed a place to hide from the mutants.
Moving through the boulder entrance with the secret knock, they entered Rockopolis, after which Argyle interrupted a flirtatious Dashwood and Miss Chase. Argyle again pointed out that they were in Rockopolis, one of the safest places in the wasteland, and they had just given its secrets to a stranger. Dashwood attempted to dissuade his companion's outburst to Miss Chase, only for her to reveal herself. Pulling a gun on the pair, she claimed that her slaver associates would be right behind them. They then realized who she really was - not Penelope Chase, "fortune hunter," but instead the "Black Widow," leader of the slavers. She boasted about how the slavers could never have found the denizens of Rockopolis without Argyle and Dashwood. As she was demanding no trouble from Argyle, he used his kung fu skills, using a move he called the "Eagle Claw" to rip out her heart, killing her instantly.
While Argyle made a pun and Dashwood congratulated him, King Crag arrived at the scene. Crag was both despondent at seeing Dashwood and shocked at the dead woman in front of them. When Dashwood informed him of the impending slaver attack, Crag became so furious that he ordered his people to kill the duo. They immediately took off running into the cave system and came to a cliff. Dashwood went first and almost fell, barely clinging on as Argyle rushed to help.
How this ended is unclear, as Argyle's corpse lies near the entrance to Rockopolis in 2277. The village was ultimately captured by the slavers, who enslaved as many as they could and sold them north to the Pitt.
Layout[edit | edit source]
Exterior[edit | edit source]
The entrance is a boulder that can be interacted with like any other door or entrance. One dead tree is on the right of the entrance, two are on the left. And as the attached pictures show, there is a length of bunting above the boulder. It is easiest to find at night, as there are lights glowing on the rock face as you approach it from the east. The entrance is very close to the center of that particular square on the map. A random encounter location is near the entrance. There is a string of multicolored plastic triangle pennants (much like those found in Little Lamplight) above the entrance boulder.
If one approaches from above, they'll see a small canyon. If continuing to look down, one will see a soft glow. Jumping down will allow entrance to Rockopolis without ever having seen the exterior.
Interior[edit | edit source]
The only accessible section of Rockopolis is now a small area with some random objects. The tunnel to what was the rest of Rockopolis itself is permanently blocked by rocks. The area has the appearance of a cave-dwelling but lacks any beds. The corpse of Argyle can be found near the cave in.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Rollings -- We're done is a holotape found on a desk near the ladder.
- Unarmed bobblehead is located next to Argyle's body, a reference to his use of martial arts during his adventures with Herbert "Daring" Dashwood.
Related quests[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- While Rockopolis does not show up on the Pip-Boy "world map," its entrance is clearly marked on the Pip-Boy "local map" which will be helpful locating it.
- The note "Rollings -- We're Done" foreshadows Fallout 3's second add-on, The Pitt.
- Outside Rockopolis is one of the possible locations of the random event for a special encounter.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Rockopolis appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 It is possible to become stuck in a small pit if the player climbs on the rocks that are to the left of Argyle's body. To escape on PC turn off collision in the console with the tcl command. To escape on Xbox 360 and PS3 versions, head to the end of the pit behind the rocks and jump up them till you're on top, head back left (jumping if necessary) until you're clear of potential obstructions, then simply walk back down. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Argyle's body may not appear upon entering. [verified]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Tenpenny Tower terminal entries; exploration database, King Crag
- The Adventures of Herbert 'Daring' Dashwood and his Ghoul Manservant Argyle In the Black Widow's Web!
- The Adventures of Herbert 'Daring' Dashwood and his Ghoul Manservant Argyle Between Rockopolis and a Hard Place!
- Rollings -- We're done
- You can find Argyle -- or, um, what's left of him -- in a hidden location called Rockopolis, which is actually mentioned in a couple of the radio plays. It's really hard to find -- look near Paradise Falls at night. Fallout 3 afterthoughts