|For the robobrains that appear in the Fallout series, see Robobrain.|
Although they were considered one of the most advanced cyborgs ever created, Robobrains never reached full production status. Persistent problems with aggression and violence even in properly CODE-conditioned Robobrains, Until its closure, SAD experimented with developing a new kind of cybernetic brain explicitly designed for use in Robobrains, while RB-2851 focused on manufacturing and iterating on existing solutions. Although the first brains were procured from primates (typically chimpanzees), persistent equipment failure in brain extractors that were incapable of working at an industrial capacity, and flaws in the immature technology used to manufacture Robobrain chassis resulted in a limited trial run. RB-2851 alone managed to complete three batches, with a further two planned. Each batch provided superior upgrades to the robot, including increased energy efficiency, maintaining brain longevity, improved visual cortex connections to enhance motor skills and perception, and tactical combat capabilities.
Units deemed combat-capable were assigned on a provisional basis to select locations across the United States, for security and janitorial duties. These included the Sierra Army Depot VI, Mariposa Military Base, and the West Tek Research Facility on the West Coast and other locations in the East. Some private companies closely affiliated with the government did receive a limited number of completed Robobrains for security purposes, like the Vault-Tec Corporation.
Developed by General Atomics International with the assistance of RobCo Industries, the Robobrain was designed from the ground up as a multirole platform for use by military and civilian clients. They are more flexible and powerful than robots due to the fact that their central control and processing unit is an actual brain, rather than an artificial facsimile. Coupled with a robust, all-terrain tracked chassis and powerful armaments, the Robobrain was on the forefront of a new revolution in combat robotics.
Robobrains in California and neighboring states do not possess integrated weapon systems inside their frame. Rather, their flexible arms and organic processors were tailored to use regular firearms (such as rifles) in combat, something they are able to do with disturbing efficiency. Most pre-War robobrains (such as those found in the Glow) carry sniper rifles and assault rifles, although units with City-Killer combat shotguns were also sighted. Robobrains could be found in hi-tech locations such as Mariposa Military Base, the Glow, Sierra Army Depot, and in the NCR.
Robobrains are durable and tenacious enemies, and will fiercely guard their old, decrepit bunkers and service tunnels. They can pose quite the threat to low-level player characters, but – as with all robots – they are very vulnerable to electro-magnetic pulses.
|Name (Proto ID)||Statistics||DT/DR||Abilities|
- The Sole Survivor: "Have you seen a robot with a brain like that before?"
Ada: " "
- Fallout: New Vegas loading screen hints: "The Robobrain, constructed by General Atomics International before the great nuclear war, is unique in that it uses an actual organic brain as its central processor."
- The Sole Survivor: "Here you go, Ada. The final Radar Beacon. I'll need that head back when you're done."
Ada: " "
The Sole Survivor: "What else do you know about them, Ada?"
Ada: " "
- Fallout 2 Official Strategies & Secrets p.33: "The Robobrain is a jack-of-all-trades robot. They have hands and are usually armed with assault rifles. The chimpanzee, or other primate, brain that was implemented into them makes them excellent guard robots. It's rumored that some were set up to accept human brains, but this has never been proven."
- RB-2851 terminal entries; Brain Extraction Terminal, Div03-BE-0093
- RB-2851 terminal entries: Robobrain Production Terminal, Batch 1
- RB-2851 terminal entries; Robobrain Production Terminal. Batch 2
- RB-2851 terminal entries; Robobrain Production Terminal. Batch 3
- RB-2851 terminal entries; Robobrain Production Terminal, Batch 4
- RB-2851 terminal entries; Robobrain Production Terminal, Batch 5
- Fallout and Fallout 2 appearances.
- The number of military Robobrains rolling around the Capital Wasteland and within its military bases in 2277.
- The Vault-Tec headquarters in Washington, D.C. security was still running with Robobrains and their masterbrain well into 2277
- RobCo Sales & Service Center acts as cover for the research below.
- Automatron loading screen hints: "The Robobrain, constructed by General Atomics International before the Great War, is unique in that it uses an actual organic brain as its central processor."