|Far Harbor side quest: Rite of Passage|
|Talk with Teddy Wright and agree to his suggestion.|
|Travel to Emmet's Causeway.|
|Drop a piece of meat in the water.|
|Kill the 3 mirelurks.|
|Drop another piece of meat in the water.|
|Kill the 3 mirelurks.|
|Kill the mirelurk queen.|
|Return to Teddy Wright.|
The Captain's Hat
The Captain's Feast
|Leads to: The Changing Tide|
Upon completing the first three objectives of the Living on the Edge (help Captain Avery, help Cassie Dalton and help Mariner) quest, Teddy Wright will initiate conversation, explaining that Harbormen's respect is difficult to earn. He does know that the easiest way to earn their respect is to complete "The Captain's Dance," a trial originally used to appoint the Captain of Far Harbor, in which the Island throws its most dangerous creatures at the participant. One of the residents of Far Harbor, Dottie, will be there to witness the "Captain's Dance" and testify to the rest of the settlement about the heroic feat.
After heading to the northwestern part of the map to Emmet's Causeway, a small swamp between Rayburn Point and Briney's Bait and Tackle, the Sole Survivor must drop raw meat into the water, causing mirelurks to appear. After defeating the mirelurks, drop the meat into the water again and kill more mirelurks and mirelurk kings. Dropping meat into the water a third time causes a mirelurk queen to attack.
- Besides helping Captain Avery, only part one of Blood Tide and Hull Breach need be completed to trigger this quest.
- This quest must be completed to open up more Far Harbor side quests.
- Once the player character drops the raw meat, it will float away and they will not be able to pick it up again. As such, it is recommended that one drops a less valuable type of meat, such as radroach meat, as they will never be able to retrieve whatever meat they drop.
- It is possible for an enemy to spawn underground making it troublesome to finish the quest.
- Cooked meat will not work to trigger the mirelurk attacks.
PC If this quest and Hunting the Hunter are both active and waiting to be "turned in" at the same time, Teddy Wright may not respond properly after giving his speech at the end. The Sole Survivor will confusingly greet him as Dejen and he will say only a single line of dialogue without entering the conversation, leaving the "Return to Teddy Wright" objective active. This can be fixed by talking to Dejen and closing out "Hunting the Hunter" first, then returning to Far Harbor and talking to Teddy again, which will then complete this quest properly.[verified]
Behind the scenesEdit
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- A rite of passage is a celebration of the passage which occurs when an individual leaves one group to enter another. It involves a significant change of status in society. In the case of this quest, the Sole Survivor becomes respected by the harbormen as a result of completing the Captain's Dance.
- The Captain's Dance may be a reference to the "Fan Dance," a brutal test in the Welsh mountains and one of the final exercises before joining the British Special Air Service.
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|