|For an overview of Ripper models in the Fallout series of games, see Ripper (weapon).|
For the Gun Runners' Arsenal version of this weapon, see Ripper (GRA).
This weapon is essentially a chainsaw compacted into knife form so that it can be wielded with just one hand. Nevertheless, the Ripper inherits many of the qualities of its larger version. The attack button can be held down and it will dismember anything in front of the player, much like a chainsaw or thermic lance, and its continuous cutting action means the Ripper ignores Damage Resistance and Damage Threshold. This makes it very good for handling multiple enemies or large, but slow, creatures.
|- Type of attack||- Skill required|
|- Damage per attack in V.A.T.S.||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per action point||- Additional effects|
- Note: Melee weapons do double normal damage in V.A.T.S.
The ripper can successfully strike about 5995 times from full condition before breaking.
- Arcade Gannon's Ripper - a unique companion-only ripper carried by Arcade Gannon.
- Ripper (GRA) - a modifiable version.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
- Note: Melee damage is doubled in V.A.T.S.
- They are often carried by Legionary assassins.
- One is available for sale after passing a Speech check with Mick at Mick & Ralph's.
- Quite a number of Fiends in Vault 3 carry rippers.
- Vulpes Inculta uses one in Nipton and at the Fort.
- A Scorpions gang member in the Monte Carlo Suites will carry one.
- In the basement of House 103 in Higgs Village.
- When damaging some enemies, like mantises, green blood will be sprayed instead of red.
- The Ripper does not have a trigger or button to activate it, leaving how it's controlled a mystery.
- The damage and DPS displayed is counted for 1 second of continuous attacking. The critical damage, however, is counted for every damage tick. Those ticks happen tens of times per second and because of this, contrary to popular belief, the ripper, along with other "hold down for continuous attack" melee weapons, is extremely strong with critical chance/damage bonuses. With no critical damage bonuses, difference between 0% and 20% critical chance is double the amount of damage displayed. With 100% crit chance the damage seems to be seven times the basic amount.
PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Sometimes, a Ripper (Arcade Gannon's special version) is in your inventory that is available for use and does not show up in the shop menus, but if it is dropped, you will not be able to pick it up again. [verified]