|Minutemen side quest: Returning the Favor|
|Speak to Blake Abernathy at Abernathy farm.|
|Retrieve the locket from USAF Satellite Station Olivia.|
|Return the locket to Blake Abernathy.|
|Reward: 300+ XP|
Abernathy farm as a settlement
Upon reaching Abernathy farm the Sole Survivor is confronted by Blake Abernathy, who has a couple of questions for the stranger on his property. Over the course of the conversation the Sole Survivor learns that Blake's daughter, Mary, was killed by a gang of Raiders that attacked the settlement. They also stole the heirloom locket that Mary was wearing, which has left Blake's wife Connie greatly upset. Blake asks the Sole Survivor to retrieve the locket from the Raider hideout in USAF Satellite Station Olivia.
To complete the objective, the Sole Survivor must retrieve the locket from a toolbox in the basement of the station. The exterior of the station is guarded by several Raiders on the walkways. There are also several bloatflies and a group of mole rats outside the station, including several dangerous suicide mole rats with frag mines strapped to their back. The mole rats and the raiders will often wind up fighting each other, making it easier for the Sole Survivor to enter the station interior via the bunker.
Inside the station, the Sole Survivor will encounter a laser trap, followed by several rooms full of raiders. The raiders do not need to be killed to complete the quest, but retrieving the locket stealthily can prove difficult due to the number of enemies in the enclosed space. The toolbox containing the locket is guarded by Ack-Ack, who is always equipped with a minigun. This can prove quite dangerous at low levels, so the Sole Survivor should proceed with caution.
After retrieving the locket, the Sole Survivor can return to Blake to complete the quest. He will reward the Sole Survivor with ~100 caps for their efforts, as well as granting access to the settlement workshop. Thereafter Connie Abernathy will give the Sole Survivor a 25% discount on all purchases, and pay 25% more when buying items from the Sole Survivor.
- It is possible to instruct the sentry bot from the robotics disposal ground to clear the NPCs around the exterior of USAF Satellite Station Olivia. The NPCs in the interior will still need to be dealt with manually.
- Killing Blake Abernathy at any point will instantly fail the quest.
- Internally, this quest has the necessary stages and dialogue to be given by Preston Garvey or Radio Freedom. However, it is not on any of the Minutemen random event listings, so the quest is never obtained this way. The quest can only be obtained from Blake Abernathy himself.
- It is possible to preemptively start the quest by already having the locket in one's possession before speaking to Blake Abernathy about Mary. In this case there are dialogue options to tell Blake that one already has the locket and the quest completes immediately.
- If the quest was declined when Blake first offered it, there is no way after this point to complete this quest and obtain Abernathy Farm as a settlement (other than by console commands, killing the Abernathys, or taking over the settlement with Nuka-World raiders). Even if the locket is later secured from USAF Olivia, there are no longer dialogue options available that can complete the quest.
- [Platforms needed] Sometimes the locket will not spawn in the toolbox in USAF Satellite Station Olivia and will instead spawn underneath one of the plants at Abernathy Farm and be unreachable. Using an explosion of some sort will dislodge the locket and allow it to be picked up. [verification overdue]