Split (reason: by game)
It has been suggested that this article or section should be split. Please help Nukapedia by discussing this issue on the article's talk page.
The player character can rest to recover their health in almost any place, as long as they're not in combat, using the Pip-Boy 2000 alarm clock function. A handful of places prohibit resting. On the top left of the Pip-Boy screen, a bell icon is next to the date and time. By clicking on the bell, one can choose between several options to rest. Companions may also benefit from this in the way of health regeneration.
Player characters cannot rest:
In Fallout 3, Sleep modifies Hit Points. Sleep is a consequential statistic of the total time spent awake: the longer one is awake, the higher the sleep value becomes. Beverages containing caffeine will reduce this value, as will sleeping in a bed.
Fallout: New Vegas
Sleep is measured in Hardcore mode as "SLP" in the Pip-Boy 3000. Sleeping in an owned or rented bed will give the Well Rested bonus for 12 hours. Each hour of sleep will reduce the SLP meter by 58. As sleep deprivation worsens, stats will be negatively impacted, starting with Agility. Not sleeping for two weeks equals death.
Stages of SLP
|Minor Sleep Deprivation||200-399||Agility -1|
|Advanced Sleep Deprivation||400-599||Intelligence -1, Agility -2|
|Critical Sleep Deprivation||600-799||Endurance -1, Intelligence -2, Agility -3|
|Deadly Sleep Deprivation||800-999||Endurance -2, Intelligence -2, Agility -3|
|Fatal Sleep Deprivation||1000||DEATH|
|Name||Level req||Other requirements||Benefit|
|Home on the Range||8||Survival 70||Whenever you interact with a campfire, you have the option of sleeping, with all the benefits that sleep brings.|
|Irradiated Beauty||22||Endurance 8||Sleeping removes all rads on normal mode/Removes 100 rads on hardcore mode.|
|Roughin' It||28||Survival 100||Well Rested bonus when you sleep outside, including in unowned beds.|
- Although there are some consumable items that help reduce SLP deprivation, attempting gameplay without sleep may not be possible unless being prepared to skip a few quests that require sleep. The effects of not sleeping, that is surviving on caffeine-based consumables or chems, is uncertain, however, no known ill effects have been reported.
- In Hardcore mode, Completing the initial quest of any of the DLC packs will bring the SLP meter to 0 and disable it. Otherwise, the lowest value that can be achieved through normal means is 2.
Pip-Boy 3000 can get stuck on zero, and in fact will not display any number below the indication arrow. This is normally caused by traveling through canyon wreckage, which sets all hardcore meters to zero. During this time the PC will not advance into sleep deprivation. This bug may be fixed by finding a bed and sleeping for any amount of time. After the PC awakes, the gauge will display the number and resume its normal function. [verified]Sometimes the SLP meter on the
In Fallout 4, Sleep modifies Fatigue in Survival mode. Sleep deprivation is displayed as an icon just below the AP bar. If sleep deprivation is left untreated it will directly impact available action points (AP) and SPECIAL stats.
Stages of sleep deprivation
Each of the stages below lasts for exactly 14 in-game hours, or 42 real-time minutes, before progressing to the next.
|Well rested||Endurance +2, Agility +2, XP +10%|
|Tired||AP Refresh -5%|
|Overtired||Strength-1, AP Refresh -15%|
|Weary||Agility -1, Luck -1, Strength -2, AP Refresh -30%|
|Exhausted||Agility -2, Luck -2, Strength -4, AP Refresh -50%, Can't Sprint|
|Incapacitated||Agility -4, Luck -3, Strength -6, AP Refresh -75%, Can't Run|
- In Survival mode sleeping is the only way that the game can be saved.
- In Survival mode, the Sole Survivor cannot sleep more than three hours in a sleeping bag and more than five hours on a mattress. To sleep for longer amounts of time, it is required to use a bed.
- Unlike Fallout: New Vegas' hardcore mode, the player character will not die from extended sleep deprivation. A player character with sufficient food and water will remain alive, limited by incapacitation, for over an in-game month.
Fallout: The Roleplaying Game
- Action Points gained based on time slept.