Resting is used to heal in a safe place without the need to use stimpaks, buffout, healing consumables or healing perks/implants. One is unable to rest if there are enemies nearby, when the area is exposed to radiation, or if the bed is owned by someone else.
Fallout and Fallout 2
In Fallout and Fallout 2, the player character can rest to recover their health in almost any place, as long as they're not in combat, using the Pip-Boy 2000 alarm clock function. A handful of places, such as the toxic caves or Vault City Downtown, prohibit resting.
Sleeping in a bed for any length of time will restore full health and heal all limbs, but will not get rid of radiation buildup. One cannot sleep in an owned bed (if the owner dies the bed won't revert to an un-owned state). Many places in the open wasteland have un-owned beds for player characters to use freely, however, most major settlements require the Wanderer to rent a bed, which will give them the Well Rested bonus.
Alternatively, it is possible to wait in a certain location for however long is desired. Unlike sleeping, there is no benefit to this other than advancing the clock. It will not restore any health (unless one has the Solar Powered perk and are standing in the sun) and all the drawbacks still apply. It mainly serves the purpose of moving forward in time to a point where certain events will trigger, such as the open hours of a shop.
Sleeping in a bed one owns or rents (such as in the Megaton house, Tenpenny Tower suite, Kenny's cave, or a rented room) for an hour or more, the player character will become "Well Rested" and gain a 10% bonus to experience gained for 12 hours. The add-on Broken Steel adds the perk Deep Sleep, which gives a bonus from sleeping in any bed (provided the rest of the conditions are met.)
Sleeping in these will provide you with the "Well Rested" bonus.
- Megaton, Moriarty's Saloon, Nova, 120 caps.
- Rivet City, Weatherly Hotel, 120 caps.
- Underworld, Carol's Place, 120 caps.
Fallout New Vegas
Beds act the same as in Fallout 3, but with some minor differences. In addition to owned beds conferring a Well Rested bonus, having sex with someone or sleeping in specific 'queen' or 'queen-sized' beds in certain locations will also confer the bonus. In Hardcore mode, the healing benefits of a bed only apply to owned beds; other beds in the wasteland will reduce sleep but not restore any health.
Alternatively, with a high Survival skill, the perks Home on the Range and Roughin' It allow the Courier to sleep via interaction with a campfire or in an unowned bed respectively. Also, the Roughin' it! bedroll kit is essentially a portable bed.
Free bed locations
- Camp Forlorn Hope - Any unused bed can be used in the medical tent.
- Goodsprings gas station, if Ringo is not already sleeping there.
- Victor's shack
- Goodsprings homes - Easy Pete's house has two beds free to use.
- Goodsprings General Store - There is a mattress inside the trailer behind the general store.
- Goodsprings source - The mattress inside the trailer, if Barton Thorn isn't already sleeping there.
- Primm, Bison Steve Hotel
- Nevada Highway Patrol station
- Mojave Outpost barracks
- King's School of Impersonation has spare beds. Pacer's bedroom next to The King's room provides the Well Rested bonus.
- Novac, Manny Vargas' room - Manny Vargas has an extra bed in his room.
- Sloan - In the mining office.
- Jacobstown bungalow - The bed in the back middle bungalow will provide the Well Rested bonus.
- The Dino Dee-lite motel room in Novac can be owned. It will be given permanently for free after completing One for My Baby or can be purchased from Jeannie May Crawford for 100 caps. Also, if Come Fly With Me is completed, one's reputation will increase in Novac, and Jeannie May will offer the room for free. If Jeannie dies, Cliff Briscoe will take her place in providing access.
- The Tops, Ultra-Luxe, Atomic Wrangler and the Lucky 38 casinos all have beds that can be owned, either given as quest rewards or won through gambling. The Vault 21 hotel has a rentable room that can be made free through repeated donations of vault suits to Sarah Weintraub.
- Beds in the safehouses, including Followers safehouse, Brotherhood of Steel safehouse, Caesar's Legion safehouse, and NCR Ranger safehouse, after gaining access to them.
Sleeping in a bed for any length of time will restore full health and heal any damaged limbs. The Sole Survivor can sleep up to 24 hours in a bed, up to 5 hours on a mattress, and up to 3 hours in a sleeping bag or tent.
In Survival mode, sleeping at least one hour will save the game. To heal crippled limbs and begin to restore health it is required to sleep for a longer amount of time. For a more detailed explanation of sleep and tiredness, see Survival mode.
These beds can be rented from NPCs for 10 caps each night and will grant one with the Well Rested perk bonus.
- Yefim Bobrov at the Dugout Inn in Diamond City.
- Clair Hutchins at the Hotel Rexford in Goodneighbor.
- Tony Savoldi at Bunker Hill, although Tony rents a mattress and not a bed.
- Mitch at The Last Plank.
Free bed locations
Cleanup (Issue: Some elements are not precise enough and might refer to mattresses or sleeping bags instead of real beds.)
To meet Nukapedia's quality standards, this article or section may require cleanup. Please help by the article.
- Three can be found in Concord. The first one in an open house near the Red Rocket truck stop. The second bed is in another house close by the Museum of Freedom. The third bed can be found in the sewers near a mirelurk in the Concord civic access.
- There is an abandoned house in which there are two free beds, outside of Concord and towards Lexington.
- There is a bed inside the small National Guard bunker west of Drumlin Diner behind a terminal locked security gate.
- Before entering Corvega assembly plant, a bed may be found on the highway to the north of it.
- Some beds can be found at the Jalbert Brothers Disposal.
- Two in a bus in a Gunner outpost on the raised highway, directly between Walden Pond and Rocky Narrows Park.
- One free bed in the cat trader shack near the southeast shore of Walden Pond.
- A few around College Square.
- Inside the Cambridge Police Station.
- Inside a truck trailer near ArcJet Systems.
- There is a bed in the ruined house at the south entrance of Wildwood Cemetery.
- A free bed in the guest house in Covenant.
- In an unmarked raider-style camp on the elevated highway west of Covenant, just north of the highway interchange.
- A bed in the empty settlement of Taffington Boathouse.
- In a shack in the Gunner base on the elevated highway, southeast of Tenpines Bluff.
- A free bed in Finch farm, even before it is allied.
- Two free beds in a trailer southeast of County crossing, near to the small shack that contains a weapons workbench.
- A bed under a shelter built into a tree, southwest of the Museum of Witchcraft.
- There are beds in Mystic Pines.
- Three beds at the Wreck of the USS Riptide: two in the ship and one in a container on the dock.
- Free beds in Kellogg's house and Earl Sterling's house in Diamond City. A bed can be rented from Vadim Bobrov in the Dugout Inn.
- A free bed outside of Diamond City, in a small raider home to the east from the main gate, just past the junkyard.
- A bed on the top of the tall building marked "Now Leasing" in the unmarked raider compound across the river from the Charles Amphitheater.
- A bed in the raider apartment at the top of the unnamed apartment location just north of Hardware Town.
- A free bed in the Drug den just east of Bunker Hill.
- The bed in Kent Connolly's room in the Memory Den in Goodneighbor once the Silver Shroud quest is started. A bed can be rented in the Rexford Hotel.
- A few beds found across Park Street Station and Vault 114.
- A bed in the floor below the loft of a raider-controlled building west of the Combat Zone and southwest of the Boylston Club.
- Various sleeping quarters and bunkhouses can be found both inside and outside of Fort Hagen. There is also one bed in a room on the lower level of the Fort Hagen underground car park.
- Bunk beds behind a terminal-controlled gate in Coast Guard Pier.
- A bed on an elevated shack outside the abandoned house on the small island southwest of Egret Tours Marina.
- Six metal beds inside Andrew station.
- In the second last cell on the left in the holding block of the Research Wing of the Mechanist's Lair.
- 15 metal beds onboard the Prydwen.
- A bed in the underground bunker section of Quincy Quarries.
- 20 vault bunk beds in Vault 75.
- A bed upstairs in the Peabody house. Unlike everything else in the house, it is not marked as owned.
- A bed on the ground floor of the building in Quincy ruins that contains Mama Murphy's apartment.
- A bed in the Quincy ruins church, behind the power armor frame.
- One unowned bed inside the Atom Cats garage, in the Red Rocket behind a yellow curtain. The other beds there are all owned.
- Far Harbor is inside a boat moored just south of the town. A bed can be rented at the Last Plank. The nearest free bed to the town of
- Eden Meadows Cinemas. Two beds in the abandoned house across the creek northeast of
- Echo Lake Lumber. Two beds in the upper floor of an intact abandoned house at the end of the road directly north from
- Zephyr Ridge Camp. One bed in
- Acadia, 1 behind Cog counter, two in front of Dejen counter. Three beds in
- Southwest Harbor, in tours and gifts shop, in a covered alleyway, in a cabin on the dock to its east. Three beds in
- Northwood Ridge Quarry, right in front of the bridge (just to its south). One bed in the house north of
- Harbor Grand Hotel. One bed in the doctor's office of the village between Southwest Harbor and
- One bed on the barge with red and yellow containers west of Southwest Harbor, on its west dock, jump on the broken part, from the tiny patch of land its leaning on, swim straight west a few seconds.
- There is a mattress in the Root cellar at Sanctuary Hills.
- A mattress can be found in the abandoned house next to Tenpines Bluff.
- Near the Drumlin Diner, there is a mattress on top of the walkway behind the big sign. Go up the tree to get to the walkway. Raiders are likely to spawn upon waking up, however.
- One at Bedford Station in a blue tent in a depression, east of the broken down engine car.
- One inside a bus on the elevated highway directly south of Covenant.
- One behind the fusion reactor in the west side of Medford Memorial Hospital, on the first floor above ground.
- In a metal shelter on the roof of the Red Rocket, in front of the Collegiate administration building in Cambridge.
- On the roof of the building next to Hardware Town (facing the back entrance). Another can be found next to a chem station, illuminated at night.
- In the small raider cabin just south-southwest of Sunshine Tidings co-op.
- Three on the upper floor of a damaged store adjacent to Fort Hagen. One is behind a warehouse adjacent to Fort Hagen, next to a cooking station.
- One offered for rent by Tony Savoldi in Bunker Hill, atop his bar.
- Also in Bunker Hill, if Deb is killed, her mattress becomes unowned. It is the one against the east wall of Kay's shack
- In the basement of the Suffolk County Charter School.
- In a one-room collapsed house just north of the gatehouse of Fort Strong.
- Upstairs, in the same room as the chemistry station, inside the South Boston High School.
- In the room in the northwest corner of West Roxbury station.
- Aldersea Day Spa in the Island. In the abandoned house next to a dock and cooking station, south-southwest of
- trapper cabin at the head of a small inlet slightly north of due west of Eden Meadows Cinemas. In a small
- Echo Lake Lumber. On the middle floor of the half-demolished second-last house at the end of the road running north from
- super mutants, west-southwest of Eagle's Cove Tannery, in the center of the headland. In a small industrial building next to a dry creek bed used by
- rope bridge complex. Two in the same shack in the
- Zephyr Ridge Camp. One in
In Fallout 76, the player character heals themselves, and can get benefits from sleeping in bed long enough. This time, however, the player character can also become diseased if sleeping on mattresses on the floor.