First Recon snipers were stationed above here, overlooking from Coyote Tail Ridge during the massacre of the Great Khans. Even with reports of women, children, the elderly, and the infirm, NCR command ordered the soldiers at Coyote Tail Ridge to fire down into the pass until their ammunition was depleted.
- Boone states that the NCR refers to the location as "Canyon 37" whereas Oscar Velasco refers to it as the Red Pass.
- After visiting Bitter Springs, Boone requests the Courier to remain near the pass overnight. This advances the I Forgot to Remember to Forget quest.
The Red Pass appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
- Courier: "What happened to your people?"
Oscar Velasco: "The main force hit the canyon by surprise. While our warriors tried to hold them off, we sent our women, our children, our old through the Red Pass. NCR's First Recon Battalion was waiting for them on Coyote Tail Ridge. No Khan left alive, that was the order. My family...."
(Oscar Velasco's dialogue)
- Courier: "We can stay on Coyote Tail Ridge for the night."
Craig Boone: "Canyon 37. That's what the NCR calls the pass down there. It was the Khans' only escape, so we set up here to guard it while the main force attacked from the front. Standing orders were to shoot on sight."
- Courier: "What happened?"
Boone: "Main force got spotted too soon. We heard shooting. Then Khans started coming through Canyon 37 in bunches. It was all wrong, though. Women, kids, elderly. Wounded started coming through, too. We radioed to confirm our orders but command didn't get what we were seeing. They told us to shoot till we were out of ammo. So that's what we did."