|For an overview of rocket launcher types, see rocket launcher.|
A prototype rocket launcher developed in the Hopeville Missile Base features an American flag on the barrel ammo canisters, a digital interface, and a unique self-compressing, pump-action reloading mechanism.
The Red Glare feeds from a rocket canister and is fully automatic, capable of emptying its magazine in a matter of seconds. It is fitted with a scope, which makes it effective at mid to long-range. A bright red light is emitted from the weapon when firing, as well as from the rockets during flight and impact. The standard rockets have a splash radius of 500 units, or about 7.8 yards. The Red Glare has a default scope of x2.86 magnification. The far sighting modification increases this to x4.35 — the highest magnification in the game.
The Red Glare can fire a total of about 2245 rockets, the equivalent of 173 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
- Red Glare alpha strike: +200% rocket speed.
- Red Glare auto launcher: +25% fire rate.
- Red Glare far sighting: increase zoom to x4.35.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
- On a marked men hunter at the top of the marked men camp building.
- On the top floor of the marked men camp building, behind the hunter carrying one and across from the laser detonator.
- In the footlocker left for the Courier by Ulysses at the canyon wreckage after finishing Lonesome Road.
- While aiming through the scope, the Red Glare possesses a huge amount of recoil, making it difficult to fire the entire volley while scoped in. Firing from the hip or in two or three bursts can mitigate the kickback.
- Although the sight is shown to retract into the weapon while reloading, the player character can still somehow look through it if they are already aiming when the reload starts.
- A fully repaired and upgraded Red Glare is the most valuable item in Fallout: New Vegas at 46,500 caps.
- Obtaining all of the mods grants the Rocket's Red Glare achievement/trophy.
- The screen and lights on the side are identical to the ones found on a laser detonator.
- Sometimes, when the weapon is dropped after being fired, a smoke particle effect will continue to emit from the rear end of the launcher.
- Unlike most other weapons that can be modded, the Red Glare's mods do not change the look of the weapon, with the exception of the far sighting modification which changes the color of the scope when aiming from green to darker red.
- Inside the Hopeville armory and Hopeville silo, there are diagrams pertaining to the Red Glare. In the armory, one is directly right of the entrance on the wall that makes note of its unique barrel and targeting system and the other on the opposite side of the room (plainly seen upon entering) showing the collapsing action of the launcher, though it does not include the scope.
- When holstering the Red Glare, the front and rear barrels will contract.
- There is no visible trigger or firing mechanism pressed while firing.
Behind the scenes
This weapon's name is a reference to lyrics of The Star-Spangled Banner, specifically the line "and the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air, gave proof through the night that our flag was still there."
The main section (outside grip, back end of the barrel, targeting component) may "detach" from the front of the barrel, moving back and to the right by one foot each. This can be fixed by unequipping the Red Glare and subsequently re-equipping it. [verified]