Ranger station Charlie is a location in Fallout: New Vegas. This Ranger station has been charged with maintaining order on the road to Novac. The communications officer at this outpost is Ranger Stepinac.
The fenced-in property south of Novac was once home to the pre-War Shady Pines Trailer park. Sometime after 2271, the NCR Army established a ranger station at the location. Codenamed Charlie, the outpost is charged with patrolling the roads between Novac and Nipton, as part of its responsibility to keep the local area "civilized." The CO of the ranger station is Ranger Beaumont. Due to a recent mission, the ranger has assigned his communications officer, Comm Officer Stepinac to watch the place for the time being. Right now, things are mostly quiet at Charlie, as the majority of the rangers stationed at the outpost are on patrol.
Thanks to the presence of Ranger station Charlie, Novac is protected from local wild life and Legion raiding parties; however, the feral ghouls from the REPCONN test site have proven quite a threat to the community in recent days, due to the condition of the local law enforcement, ex-Ranger Andy.
Outside the Ranger station one can see many mobile homes and cars piled up as fortifications, reflecting the site's previous life as a pre-War trailer park. Ammunition, weapons and random items can be found by searching through them.
Inside these improvised fortifications, there are stacked camping trailers that have lots of bedding in them. Occasionally, an NCR Ranger will appear in the farthest trailer from the entrance during the night, and will sit in a chair overlooking the road to the left during the day. He is a named character, but has no dialogue if the player character tries to talk to him. Also, a prospector may be found resting there.
The main building is to the right as one walks through the entrance. If one goes (or returns) to the site at Ranger Andy's request, the station's troops have all been slaughtered. There are two bodies on the floor in the first room, each with an armed frag mine hidden underneath. One of the two audio tapes (tape #2) is straight ahead from the entrance, on top of the three stacked metal boxes. The other tape (tape #1) is under the desk next to the metal boxes. The tape is from the Legion, claiming responsibility for the massacre at Ranger station Charlie, and informing the listener that they took a live NCR ranger with them.
The room on the left (through the door; the room with multiple bunk beds) contains a trap: a tripwire running across the doorway is connected to a rigged shotgun under the bunk beds, which is pointed at two antique fire extinguishers positioned in front of an armed bottlecap mine that will detonate either with proximity or by the explosion from the fire extinguishers being hit by the rigged shotgun blast.
The room also contains various junk and two more dead NCR soldiers. The male corpse will have NCR Ranger patrol armor in poor condition, along with a random weapon, usually a pistol or revolver.
Under the bunk bed to the right upon entering this room (the one with the two cinder blocks under it) is a floor safe (locked, Average) with ammunition, caps, Rad-X and stimpaks. Under the bed in the northeast corner is a locked footlocker, but it is empty.
- Comm Officer Stepinac, located inside the Ranger house.
- Ranger Station Charlie audio logs - Two audio logs, one under the desk right in front of the player character as they enter, and the second on top of the stack of metal boxes, just to the right of that desk. These logs are only present after speaking with Ranger Andy in Novac and agreeing to check on the station.
- If one visits prior to receiving Ranger Andy's side quest, all items must be stolen. However, there are three first aid boxes in the first room that will have disappeared after the Legion attack, so a visit before talking to Andy and a loss of Karma is the only way to access them.
- Listening to the audio logs, there's a warning from the Legion to the Rangers, also explaining that one of the female rangers, Stella, was taken as a hostage after the raid (she can later be fought as an opponent for male couriers in the Legion arena at The Fort). Bringing these audio logs back to Ranger Andy will increase one's reputation with Novac and the NCR, and Andy will give 200 caps from the "Ranger Veteran Fund" to the Courier, as well as complete the unmarked quest.
- Even if the player does not trigger the attack on the station by speaking with Ranger Andy, Legion forces will still occupy the station once Render Unto Caesar becomes active.
- Approaching from the hills to the east on the way from Novac will result in a Legion Recruit and a few Veterans sneaking over the hills towards the camp. They may attack the rangers but usually do not do anything.
- Alternately, prior to the slaughter of the rangers, a four man patrol of NCR troopers may be encountered along the road outside the ranger station. These soldiers may encounter the Legion patrol and engage them. Both groups may also engage the vipers camped at the train tunnel or laying ambush behind the billboards north of the station.
- Near the entrance of the station one can find a skeleton with a metal helmet and a crashed motorcycle a short distance from the body.
- If one deliver the updated radio codes to the station (part of Return to Sender quest) before talking to Ranger Andy the station will not be attacked and destroyed. Note: The station may remain safe before and after updating the new radio codes during Return to Sender, but once one checks on Ranger station Charlie per Ranger Andy's request, they will still find the station wiped out by the Legionaries.
- Comm Officer Stepinac is not one of the corpses found after the Legion raid the camp, and will not show up again in the game. This is because Obsidian forgot to move him from the initial cell to the destroyed cell and the initial cell becomes inaccessible to the player once the player receives Andy's request.
- Comm Officer Stepinac will mention an excess of medical supplies recently being delivered to the station. The player can ask for some but he will refuse and warn the player not make a habit of crossing the NCR. It is actually possible to obtain some supplies from him, but one will need to a have a mixed reputation with the NCR.
Ranger station Charlie appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
PC If the Courier exits the station building and encounter a hostile group of Legionaries spawned outside the compound, going back inside the main building and coming back out may cause them to disappear.[verified]