The radium rifle is a pre-War carbine that has been modified to deal radiation damage.
Its regular wooden and steel rifle components have been upgraded with all manner of wiring and circuitry, among them what looks like two sets of gamma rounds on the barrel in front of the ejection port. A crudely made dish fashioned from wire and tin foil surrounds the muzzle on long-barreled variants and is somewhat reminiscent of the gamma gun. With the ported variant of the long barrel, looking at the weapon from the front shows the dish's foil parts forming the well-known radiation warning symbol with the barrel representing the center point.
The radium rifle's upgrade options are largely identical to those of the combat rifle, with the notable differences of requiring much higher levels of the Gun Nut and Science! perks, and the inability to attach a recon scope or a .308 receiver. Its considerable radiation damage per shot makes it more dangerous to regenerating enemies like Legendary enemies, but especially to the Sole Survivor. Enemies without good radiation resistance will succumb to rad poisoning very quickly when under fire from even one radium rifle.
Some downsides to the radium rifle include obstructive iron sights with protruding components, heavy recoil when fired with an automatic receiver, and slow reload speeds, though these can largely be remedied with weapon modifications.
- Kiloton radium rifle - A unique variant with the Explosive Legendary effect, which can be obtained from Kane in the Nucleus.
- Radical Conversion - Another unique variant with the Penetrating Legendary effect, which is awarded to the player character upon completing the quest Ablutions.
- Frequently carried by Children of Atom on the Island, especially by Zealots in and around the Nucleus.
- Several rifles can be found lying around in Children of Atom territory.
- Can be purchased from weapon vendors across the Island.
- One can be found in the cabin at Kawaketak Station.
With this weapon, there is no moving bolt involved in cycling the action. Instead, the entire front of the barrel gets pushed back into the upper receiver. This can be seen via the handle welded onto the side of the barrel, that is charged back when cycling the bolt.
Behind the scenes
Radium is a chemical element well known for being highly radioactive.
minigun. It is unknown what causes or remedies this for now, but has been noted by various players.[verified]The fire rate for the various automatic receivers will read as 300 in the inventory displays (personal, container, merchant), with the correct value (90) being shown only in the workbench display. Contrary to reports based on the bugged display values, the automatic Radium rifles do not have a faster rate of fire than a