With this perk, one of Dogmeat's puppy offspring will take his place every time he dies, and that pup can be added as a companion, either by finding Dogmeat's pup at the location of his death or by waiting a day or two and returning to Vault 101's entrance. Dogmeat's puppy is much tougher than the original Dogmeat, and will level with the player character in terms of damage done and health.
Despite the name, this perk only allows the player character to get one of Dogmeat's puppies at a time. If it dies, it will be replaced by a new puppy.
This perk still works if Dogmeat died pre-Broken Steel.
- Dogmeat actually has to die in order for this perk to work.
- It starts with 1,000 Hit Points, double that of the original Dogmeat, who only had 500 Hit Points at first level.
- It uses the exact same ref and base ids. Upon death, Dogmeat is simply respawned with a new name and increased health.
- If you have two followers in your party, then one will have to be fired once this perk is chosen as if the original Dogmeat was still alive.
- If you did not add Dogmeat to your group, or accidentally killed him before befriending him, with this perk he will regenerate where he died and you will have the option to befriend him as the original Dogmeat.
- The Puppies! perk also has a problem, when you have a follower fired, Dogmeat's puppy takes up a space and you will not be able to have a follower in your party anymore. A way to fix it is to bring Dogmeat's puppy to the follower, kill him then quickly tell the follower to be in your group.
PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 With this perk, the player may be able to obtain all of the followers at the same time. See Fallout 3 exploits for more details.[verified]