Unlike barrel cactus fruit, prickly pear fruit is rather healthy and doesn't detract from Endurance. Two prickly pears are required to craft a bloatfly slider. Two of them can also be squeezed into an empty soda bottle to make some purified water.
Survival skill effectEdit
|10||+1 Hit Point for 10s||-18 Dehydration , -12 Starvation|
|20||+1 Hit Point for 10s||-21 Dehydration , -14 Starvation|
|30||+1 Hit Point for 10s||-24 Dehydration , -16 Starvation|
|40||+1 Hit Point for 10s||-27 Dehydration , -18 Starvation|
|50||+2 Hit Point for 10s||-30 Dehydration , -20 Starvation|
|60||+2 Hit Point for 10s||-33 Dehydration , -22 Starvation|
|70||+2 Hit Point for 10s||-36 Dehydration , -24 Starvation|
|80||+2 Hit Point for 10s||-39 Dehydration , -26 Starvation|
|90||+2 Hit Point for 10s||-42 Dehydration , -28 Starvation|
|100||+3 Hit Point for 10s||-45 Dehydration , -30 Starvation|
- One plant can be found in the fenced backyard (southernmost side) of the Goodsprings house where Sunny Smiles and Trudy head to for the night. Although it is marked red, no Karma is lost when the fruits are picked up.
- Two fruit can be found placed atop a grave in Goodsprings Cemetery, along with some coyote tobacco chew.
- One plant grows outside Nellis Air Force Base, on the east side of the bombed-out town.
- One plant grows just north of Gibson scrap yard, directly north of Old Lady Gibson's garage.
- One plant is found by walking due east of No-bark's shack, just before reaching the highway.
- Several plants grow near the mole rat ranch.
- A patch of four can be found by traveling directly east from mole rat ranch, in the desert between it and the power line towers.
- A patch of three can be found on the south end of Novac, behind the gas station with the reloading bench and workbench. Another three can be found to the southeast of Novac, just off the highway, between Novac and Clark Field.
- A patch of three can be found outside Harper's shack.
- A patch of four can be found directly Northwest of the Legion raid camp, on the west side of the road towards Ranger station Charlie.
- Three plants can be found close to Carlyle St. Clair's house (east and west along the cliff base).
- Plants can be found on the shore of Lake Mead and on the shore near the crashed B-29 bomber.
- At least two prickly pear plants can be found just south of the northern passage, near the shack where the Jackal gang members have set up just outside of New Vegas, visible by campfire smoke and surrounded by many other harvestable consumables.
- Three plants can be located just east of Mojave home, where the mad brahmin reside. Two of the plants are near the big rocks in the back.
- seed package near the Dionaea Muscipula. Dried version, one of the items converted from the
- Field Research, once the Biological research station has been upgraded. One can be acquired every 3 in-game days after the completion of
- Zion Canyon. Prickly pear fruit are extremely common in
- Carrying prickly pear fruit will provide four times more hydration per weight than water. This bonus rises to 7.5 times (1285 H2O recovery per pound of weight carried) with 100 Survival and the Pack Rat and Camel of the Mojave perks. Without Camel of the Mojave (because of consuming prickly pear instead of water) this rises further to 8.6 times (1285/150).
- Turning two prickly pear fruits into one bottle of purified water increases the H2O benefit from 90 to 150 at 100 Survival at the expense of 0.86 pounds of weight over simply carrying the fruits by themselves.
Behind the scenesEdit
The prickly pear fruit is based on the real world plant Opuntia basilaris, colloquially known as "prickly pear cactus," found in the Mojave and Anza-Borrego Deserts of the Southwest United States. The Native Americans used the plants as a food source. Similar to the in-game equivalent, the cacti are distinguished by their bright pink blooms.