|For the Minutemen leader in Fallout 4, see Preston Garvey.|
He is a kind man who enjoys nothing more than tending to the sick and injured. He genuinely loves helping people and is well-liked and respected among the citizens of Rivet City. On occasion, he has had to work closely with Janice Kaplinski, whom he considers to be his close friend. They have a father-daughter type of relationship. He tries to get her to lighten up and interact with people more.[Non-canon 1] [clarification needed]
Dr. Preston can be found in Rivet City clinic on the Upper Deck during most of the day.
At 7:00 AM he goes to the Weatherly Hotel to eat for one hour.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is essential. Essential characters cannot be killed.|
|This character is involved in quests.|
|This character is a doctor.|
|This character is a merchant.|| yes|
|This character drops an ear upon death (Contract Killer).|
- The Replicated Man: Preston has some interesting information on the android.
Effects of player's actions
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
Dr. Preston's room key
|Dr. Preston's key*|
- * Preston cannot die, and this key can only be obtained by pick-pocketing.
- "Don't get any cute ideas. Security is just a shout away."
- "You're hurt. Fortunately, this is a medical clinic. Why don't you let me take a look at that."
- "Oh, I'd like to help, I really would. But I don't know the first thing about this place's history. Don't let my age fool you; I may have been around for a while, but I didn't spend all that time here!"
Doctor Preston appears only in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes
If you ask Dr. Preston for chems, he will reply with, "...I'm a doctor, not a dealer," an homage to Dr. McCoy from the original Star Trek series.