The Praetorian guard are the elite personal bodyguards of the main leaders of Caesar's Legion, as seen with both Caesar and Legate Lanius in 2281. Headed by Lucius, Praetorians focus almost exclusively on unarmed combat in battle, and can see through disguises.
Caesar explains that his Praetorians are hand-picked from among the ranks of those Legionaries who have served for long enough and have killed enough men to qualify as centurions. Those invited to join the Praetorians must pick a current member of the Praetorian guard whom they believe is the weakest, and challenge them to an unarmed duel to the death, where, should they win, will take on the mantel. The leader of the Praetorian guard can also be challenged, but this does not currently happen often, as Lucius is highly respected among his subordinates.
Personifying Caesar's martial philosophy, the Praetorians usually fight using only unarmed combat, in which Lucius will explain that weapons or firearms may break or jam, but a true warrior can always rely on his innate skills. Regardless, Praetorians still wear ballistic fists to give their punches a devastating impact beyond what a normal human blow can inflict. The only instances of Praetorians using firearms is if they are part of a legionary assassin kill team, in which case they will either use a trail carbine or a 12.7mm submachine gun.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is involved in quests.|
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Legion praetorian armor
12.7mm submachine gun
Frag grenade or
Plasma grenade or
Pulse grenade or
C-4 plastic explosive
Can be found guarding Caesar's tent, and the weather monitoring station at Fortification Hill, with several of them also fighting alongside Legate Lanius in the final showdown. At least one Praetorian will fight along with an assassination team to kill the Courier should they be disliked enough by the Legion.
- The Praetorian guard have a version of the Toughness perk, which grants them 10% Damage Resistance in addition to the 12 Damage Threshold from their armor.
- Praetorians are 30% faster than a normal non-player character.
- A single Praetorian represents the 10 of Clubs card in the Fallout: New Vegas Collector's Edition Caravan Deck, however they look like a centurion.
The Praetorian guard appear only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes
- In Latin, praetor is the word for leader or commanding officer.
- The title of Praetorian refers to the ancient Roman Praetorians, bodyguards of a general's tent (praetorium), and, in later centuries, of emperors.