|For an overview of plasma rifle models, see plasma rifle.|
The plasma rifle uses microfusion cells, and can discharge up to twelve green, self-illuminated plasma bolts before requiring a reload.
The plasma rifle fires projectiles that inflict potentially heavy damage at a fairly quick semi-automatic rate of fire. The plasma bolt moves at subsonic speeds, giving enemies the chance to dodge the plasma bolts. Because of this, the plasma rifle is most effective in close to medium range combat. It empties its 12-shot magazine rather quickly, and its reload time is somewhat longer than most other small guns/energy weapons. Maintenance is a combination of perks and drawbacks: Like other energy weapons, it has a high maximum condition compared to small guns but is expensive and/or difficult to repair.
A plasma rifle in poor condition (under 10%) can cost over 1,000 bottle caps to repair. Additionally, the plasma rifle can be hard to come by under normal circumstances. The plasma rifle has twice the chance of inflicting a critical hit than most other weapons and can turn enemies into piles of green goo if the killing blow is a Critical Hit. The plasma rifle's plasma bolt can ignite gas leaks.
The plasma rifle can fire a total of about 500 shots, the equivalent of 42 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
|A3-21's plasma rifle||50||100||2||x2.5||50||25||2||0.2||12||600||8||2200||275|
- Within Taft Tunnel, held by a Tesla armored soldier in the room where Doctor Li opens the locked door. One needs to hop on top of a barrel and onto the lamp and onto the beams to reach the soldiers.
- Fort Independence, inside a weapons armory (the key to the armory door is inside one of the footlockers in the quarters).
- The Citadel laboratory, on the table.
- Sometimes one can purchase this weapon in the Citadel armory.
- Standard issue for Enclave soldiers wearing Tesla armor.
- Enclave Hellfire armor Used by Enclave soldiers wearing
- Officer Lepelletier is also armed with one. It is possible to obtain it passing a Speech check.
- Paladin Tristan carries one.
- smugglers. Occasionally carried by
- weapons lab and another in the cargo hold. One can be found in the
Behind the scenes
- Ben Carnow on Twitter: "Holding a physical copy of a piece of art I created is breaking my brain."