| || For an overview of plasma pistol variants in the Fallout series of games, see plasma pistol.|
For the Gun Runners' Arsenal version of this weapon, see Plasma Defender (GRA).
The Austrian-made Glock 86 plasma pistol (also referred to as the Plasma Defender) was designed before the Great War by the Gaston Glock artificial intelligence. It shoots a small bolt of superheated plasma and is powered by a small energy cell.
The Plasma Defender is a powerful energy-based pistol which fires superheated bolts of green plasma. It is able to punch through most critters and low-level armor with ease, when compared to the more commonly found and cheaper laser pistol.
In comparison to the standard laser pistol, the Plasma Defender deals more than 3 times the damage per shot and over twice as much damage-per-second (DPS). This is offset by the fact that it consumes energy cells at twice the rate, has reduced durability, and has a slightly increased spread. Additionally, it causes a large green burst of plasma upon firing which in addition to partially obscuring the view, travels at a slower rate, resulting in the need to lead the target.
In comparison to the plasma pistol, the plasma defender does an additional 5 damage per shot, has a reduced critical chance, and is less durable. However, the plasma defender is a more accurate weapon, uses fewer Action Points in V.A.T.S. and has a higher rate of fire in real-time, delivering almost twice as much DPS. Unlike the plasma pistol, the plasma defender is not considered a holdout weapon.
The Plasma Defender can fire a total of about 495 times using standard cells, the equivalent of 31 reloads, from full condition before breaking.
- Arcade's Plasma Defender is a unique non-playable Plasma Defender used by Arcade Gannon. It only differs from the standard pistol in its use of companion ammunition.
- Plasma Defender (GRA), a variant that can accept modifications.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
- Lucky 38, in a floor safe of the cocktail lounge.
- Silver Rush, located on a table and sold by Gloria Van Graff.
- Dead Bright followers have a 1-in-3 chance of carrying Plasma Defender once the Courier has reached Level 8. They can be found at REPCONN test site along with other energy weapons.
- Y-17 trauma override harness may carry them on higher levels.
- Hopeville silo bunker entrance, located in a desk with a Hard lock.
- marked men. Sometimes found on
- Plasma Defenders are not randomly sold by any merchants, including the Van Graffs and the Gun Runners. This is due to their absence from a number of leveled item lists, while being present on several other lists which are not used. The only exception is a single Plasma Defender which can be found on the display table in front of Gloria Van Graff.
Behind the scenesEdit
| || |