|The following is based on information from Fallout Tactics.|
Pipboy is an actual person version of Vault Boy, who could be encountered by the Warrior as a joke character. He may join the Brotherhood of Steel and fight as a squad member, but is not considered an official member by the Brotherhood, due to not being a normal person (which in this case is to say he does not fit into any known species of the wasteland).
Interactions with the player character
|This character is a recruit.||Availability: When asked to join.|
|This character appears in the following locations.|
Pipboy becomes available after one finds him in the Pipboy special encounter. He joins the group when spoken to if the player character has fewer than 5 members. He will go away and appear in the recruits pool if the player character has 5 members. If one has 6 members, he will do nothing. He will join the player character even if their level is lower than his when he is first found him.
- He has a Perk rate of 3 at the time he is first discovered, and he is level 8 with 3 perks. This is likely due to the fact that PipBoy cannot change stance; by granting Flexible as a freebie, the player character is protected from later wasting a gained perk on it.
- He moves considerably slower than other characters when not in turn-based mode.
- He has no biographical text in the character screen or in the recruitment pool.
- The game refers to the recruitable character as CORE_pipboy in the party bar, combat log, and recruits pool.
- Pipboy is encountered severely wounded and can be healed using medical items.
- "Golly, but these pants are tight."
- "You're staring at me."
- "Gosh, I sure would like some friends."
- "What the hell are you lookin' at?"
- "Mighty boring around these parts."
- "The first time you kill is the hardest."
- "I've been itching for a fight!"
- "It sure would be swell to shoot something."
Pipboy/Vault Boy as a person appears only in Fallout Tactics.