It is an updated version of the Pip-Boy 2000.
The Pip-Boy Mark VI represents a step forward in the development of more ergonomic versions of RobCo's flagship personal computing product. Each Vault Dweller leaving Vault 76 was issued a Mark VI to assist in their goal of rebuilding Appalachia 25 years after the Great War.
The Mark VI maps operate differently than previous versions of the Pip-Boy 2000, utilizing a stylized paper map that lacks local area overview options. Instead of these map features, the Pip-Boy has user status tracking functionality. It is capable of tracking the wearer's status and any active or completed quests and also organizes the wearer's inventory. An overlay of the data is also available. In addition, the device features Geiger counter, an advanced compass that displays discovered locations and nearby persons and creatures, and lighting functionality. A holotape player is mounted beneath the display.
On the main display of the Mark VI are four primary sections, each with specific subsections as followed.
STATS is an overview of the player character's general health, physical well-being, and capabilities. At the very bottom of the screen, the wearer's current and total HP, level, progress to next level, and current and total AP are displayed. Information is then broken down into four subsections:
|STATUS||Displays the wearer's current health as compared to the wearer's total health, the wearer's name, the wearer's level, damage output on their current weapon, and damage resistance from their current armor. Health bars for each limb of the wearer are also displayed to show how healthy or damaged a limb may be. The Vault Boy animation on the screen will change depending on whether the wearer has crippled limbs.|
|EFFECTS||Displays the current positive and negative effects that the wearer has accumulated.|
|SPECIAL||Displays the wearer's S.P.E.C.I.A.L. attributes.|
|COLLECTIONS||Displays the currently owned quantity of the following currencies: caps, perk coins, overseer tickets, gold bullion, Tadpole badges, Possum badges, and legendary scrips|
ITEM is an overview of the player character's inventory. At the very bottom of the screen, the wearer's carry weight limitations and amount of caps can be seen, in addition to showing the damage output of the wearer's current weapon and the Damage Resistance of the armor they are currently wearing. In all sections, the weight, stack weight and value of items in caps are listed when the item is selected.
|NEW||Displays the most recently picked up or awarded items as well as the time passed since receiving.||Information displayed is subject to the item type.|
|WEAPONS||Displays the weapons in a wearer's inventory. If the wearer has a ranged weapon selected, the Pip-Boy will display, where appropriate to the weapon (¹excluding throwing weapons)||Level required to use the weapon¹ · Condition (CND)¹ · Damage output · Ammunition required · Ammo qty available · Speed (melee weapons) · Fire rate¹ · Range¹ · Accuracy¹|
|ARMOR||Displays the armor and power armor in the wearer's inventory.||Level required · Damage Resistances (if any) · Condition (CND) · Unique effects|
|APPAREL||Displays the apparel and clothing in the wearer's inventory.|
|FOOD/DRINK||Displays food and drink consumables in the wearer's inventory.||Hunger satisfaction · Hydration satisfaction · Unique effects · Chance of disease · Health gain/loss · Radiation gain/loss|
|AID||Displays other consumables such as chems, bobbleheads, magazines, lunchboxes, raw flux and stealth boys.||Health gain/loss · Radiation gain/loss · Unique effects|
|MISC||Displays the miscellaneous items carried.|
|HOLO||Displays the holotapes carried.|
|NOTES||Displays the notes, plans and recipes carried.|
|JUNK||Displays the junk items carried.||Scraps into|
|MODS||Displays the loose weapon and armor mods carried.|
|AMMO||Displays amount and type of ammunition carried.||Condition · Charge|
The DATA section displays the quests that the wearer has. Each quest can be activated/deactivated, with completed quests shown in a darker hue below, separated from those that are current. Each tab displays a description of the current objective of the quest and the actual current objective below the quest title.
|MAIN||Displays main quests|
|SIDE||Displays side quests|
|DAILY||Displays daily quests|
|EVENT||Displays event quests in the nearby area|
The list allows the player character to tune into a radio station from the list displayed.
|RADIO||Displays the radio stations in range of the Pip-Boy.|
|Standard Paint||Known by default||N/A||003E7FF8|
|Pip-Boy 2000 Mk VII Paint||Learned from Plan: Pip-Boy 2000 Mk VII paint||Trade Secrets||005A38EA|
|All American Paint||Show some pride for the country with the All American Pip-Boy Paint!||400||005B7D72|
|American Flag Paint||Show your pride in the good ole flag with this American Flag Pip-Boy paint!||400||0055391B|
|Atomic Onslaught Pip-Boy Paint||Wear your true colors on your sleeve with this intimidating Atomic Onslaught Paint for your Pip-Boy!|
The Legendary Run
|Black Paint||Simple and distinctive, this Black Paint will give your Pip-Boy a sleek, stealthy style.||600||004949D7|
|Blue Roadster Paint||Embrace the fact that you have the power of a car strapped to your wrist, with this sweet Blue Roadster Paint for your Pip-Boy.||400||004949D6|
|Brotherhood of Steel Paint||Show you support for the Brotherhood of Steel with the Brotherhood of Steel Paint.|
The Coming Storm
|Construction Safety Paint||Be prepared for all workplace accidents with this Construction Safety Paint.||00538619|
|Deep Cave Hunter Paint||Stalk your prey with the Deep Cave Hunter Paint.||400||005C28AA|
|Enclave Paint||Support the real American Government with this Enclave Paint for your Pip-Boy.||400||004949D8|
|Grey paint||Going for something a bit more... understated? Try this grey paint for your trusty Pip-Boy.||200||004949D9|
|Hot Rodder Paint||Show off your Wasteland travels with the Hot Rodder Pip-Boy Paint!||400||00416665|
|Hunter Safety Paint||Be noticed from afar with this Hunter Safety Paint! Not guaranteed to prevent strangers from shooting you.||400||00422B94|
|Mothman Paint||Show your loyalty to the Mothman with this Pip-Boy paint!||400||0053E447|
|Pink Corvega Paint||The days of automobile giant Chryslus may be over, but this Pink Corvega Paint for your Pip-Boy is a great reminder.||600||004949DA|
|Red Rocket Paint||Fuel-up your Pip-Boy with this beautiful Red Rocket Paint.||600||004949DB|
|Red Shift paint||Wear your crimson-red heart on your sleeve with this intimidating Pip-Boy skin.||400||0057E1F6|
|Red Shift paint||N/A||N/A|
|Red Menace Paint||Help spread the word of a more equitable government with the Red Menace Paint for your Pip-Boy.||0057E1F7|
|Responder Paint||Show you support for the Responders with the Responder Paint.||400||005A26FF|
|Revolutionary Paint||Start the revolution in the wasteland with this Pip-Boy paint!||2000 |
Revolutionary Free States bundle
|Scabber Paint||Scrap, steal, and survive in the wasteland with this Scabber Pip-Boy Paint.||400||0055D83D|
|Slocum Joe's Paint||N/A||N/A|
|Sugar Bombs Paint||Give your Pip-Boy a sugar rush with this branded Sugar Bombs Paint.||600||004949DC|
|Survivalist Paint||Survive the wasteland and help build your own Free State with this Pip-Boy paint!||1800 |
Survivalist Free States bundle
|Vault-Tec Paint||Your friends at Vault-Tec have their own Paint for Pip-Boys and now it can be yours!||600||004949DD|
|Vault-Tec U. Paint||Show your support for VTU with this Vault-Tec U. Paint. Go Wendigos!||600||004949DE|
|Waster Paint||Raid, pillage, and destroy in the wasteland with this Waster Pip-Boy Paint.||400||0055D83E|
|Wavy Willard Paint||N/A||N/A|
|Well-Traveled Paint||Show off your Wasteland travels with the Well-Traveled Paint!||400||004036F8|
- While the 2000 Mark VI has a generally similar design to its predecessor model as shown by the color scheme, vacuum tubes, exposed wiring, and use of the older RobCo Pip-Boy mascot on its nameplate rather than Vault Boy, some components have been relocated to the right side of the screen, and there are additional knobs.
- One significant structural difference compared to the newer Pip-Boy 3000 and Pip-Boy 3000 Mark IV is that the 2000 Mark VI's casing does not completely enclose the wearer's wrist and is instead secured by a wraparound leather cuff with a buckle, instead of the hinged hard cases of the 3000 and 3000 Mark IV models that were closed with a latch.
- Unlike the Pip-Boy 3000 Mark IV, the "ITEMS" section of the Pip-Boy splits holotapes and notes into their own sub-category, instead of being grouped together in the miscellaneous section.
- Before the war, an upgrade for the 2000 Mark VI was in development by a team of researchers led by a doctoral candidate at Vault-Tec University.
- The "Collections" section of the "Status" screen was added in the Wild Appalachia update.
- In Fallout 76 patch 184.108.40.206, "Aid" was split into "Aid" and "Food/Drink", while "Armor" was split into "Armor" and "Apparel." The update also introduced the "New" section.
- The Pip-Boy model worn by Penelope Hornwright after the completion of Trade Secrets is named Pip-Boy 2000 VTU in the game files, while its Editor ID refers to it as Pip-Boy 2000 Mark VII. Despite the different names, the Pip-Boy appears the same as the regular Mark VI, due to it being equipped with a default skin modification.
Behind the scenes
- The Pip-Boy 2000 Mark VI references the Pip-Boy 2000, utilized in New Californian Vaults in both Fallout and Fallout 2.
- A real world Pip-Boy 2000 Mark VI kit was produced by the Wand Company. It consists of a model kit with over 150 parts and in-universe instructions. The completed model is 1:1 scale, wearable, and has moving buttons and knobs, but has no electronic functionality.[Non-game 1][Non-game 2][Non-game 3]
- PIP-Boy 2000 nameplate in Fallout 76: "PIP-BOY 2000 Mk VI Manufactured by Robco Industries for Distribution by Vault-Tec corp."
- Vault Dweller (Fallout 76): "Can you tell me more about the schematic you're looking for?"
Penelope Hornwright: "A doctoral candidate named Aaliyah was heading development on it, before the war. Brilliant stuff. With any luck, she's in a vault right now, but I'd suggest taking a look around her old home in Summersville. She never used her office on campus."
(Penelope Hornwright's dialogue)