|Institute main quest: Pinned|
|Speak to Father.|
|Travel to Graygarden Homestead.|
|Speak to the Minuteman/Gunner contact.|
|Kill the Minutemen/Gunners.||Side with them.||Convince them to stand down.|
|Speak to Enrico Thompson.|
|Speak to T.S. Wallace.|
|Reward: 500 XP|
|Leads to: Powering Up|
The quest will start by talking to Allie Filmore in the Institute and completing Mass Fusion. She will mention that Father is anxious to get the Sole Survivor involved with something else. Upon meeting him, Father will be talking to Dean Volkert as part of a health exam. He will cut the conversation with Dean short and explain to the Sole Survior that he needs their help in assisting an Institute team sent out to invite T.S. Wallace, a wastelander who could help with the reactor. Wallace has called in the Gunners to defend him or the Minutemen (if Taking Independence has been completed) to help, which has complicated the mission. Father will tell the Sole Survivor to resolve the situation and bring back Wallace alive. Wallace's house can be found west of Graygarden, and upon arriving there, a team of Gunners or Minutemen can be found in front of it. The Gunners can simply be killed and player character can proceed to enter the house afterwards. If the Minutemen are there, the player character has three choices:
- Kill the Minutemen or allow them to be killed.
- Side with the Minutemen.
- Convince the Minutemen to stand down with an easy persuasion check or three medium checks.
Once inside the house, the player character will be greeted by Enrico Thompson who explains that he needs help convincing Wallace, who is locked inside his room, to come with them. Wallace can either calmed down with an medium persuasion check or threatened with a hard check, and can then be convinced to go after. If both checks were failed, Enrico will mention they are out of time and he will relay a synth inside Wallace's room to subdue him. Once he is dealt with, Enrico will comment on the outcome and the quest will finish.
This article is missing some data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
- Danse has several reactions during this quest that cannot be seen through normal gameplay since he will be hostile after Mass Fusion is completed.
- If the Minutemen are supported, the quest Banished from the Institute will begin, all active Institute and Railroad quests will immediately fail and Form Ranks will begin. This makes Pinned the crucial turning point in the main story for anyone who wants to finish the game with the Minutemen but is unwilling to risk a massive firefight inside the Institute in order to get banished.
- Killing the Minutemen is considered murder and will incur negative reactions from most companions present.
- After speaking to Enrico Thompson, the door to the room containing T.S. Wallace will remain inaccessible unless the persuasion attempts with him are failed. The Sole Survivor does not need to enter the room to speak to Wallace; the conversation can be conducted through the closed door (by standing near the door and selecting 'Activate T.S. Wallace').
- If all persuasion attempts with Wallace fail, a synth will teleport inside his room to "subdue" him. During this time, the door will open and the player character cannot interact with his body. One can still drag him around and even cannibalize him alive, making him one of the two people in the entire series that can be eaten alive, the other being Carlyle St. Clair III.