The pie's most significant difference from many other foodstuffs found throughout the wasteland is its preservative-filled nature, lacking any radiation when compared to most other pre-War foodstuffs.
The perfectly preserved pie can be obtained from any Port-A-Diner, with a small chance of dispensing. Obtaining the pie on any particular attempt is determined by the formula...
- chance: the percentage chance of obtaining the pie
- luck: the Sole Survivor's Luck, even if the Port-A-Diner is operated by a companion
- attempts: the number of previous attempts made to obtain the pie
- ...thus, even with a Luck of 10, there is still only a 2% chance of obtaining the pie on the first attempt.
By cumulative probabilities, a Sole Survivor with Luck 5 has a 50% chance of obtaining the pie within the first 36 attempts. Luck 10 reduces that to 26 attempts, while Luck 1 doesn't reach those odds until 49 attempts.
Depending on the Sole Survivor's Luck, it takes between 75 and 105 attempts to reach a 95% chance of getting the pie, and 109 to 140 attempts to reach a 99.5% chance of getting the pie.
Perfectly preserved pie locations
- Eat-o-tronic in the Mechanist's lair. One can be found in a wall mounted
- Cappy's Cafe, not contained within a Port-A-Diner. Two slices of pie can be found on the counter in
- Fizztop Mountain, only accessible by dropping from a beam above. One can be found above the entrance to
|C.I.T. ruins||Cambridge||In the third floor kitchen area. West side of Rotunda.|
|Dugout Inn||Diamond City||Inside the door and to the right (the pie must be stolen).|
|Super Duper Mart||Lexington||Patio outside to the left. Patio is between the garage and Super Duper Mart.|
|Dartmouth Professional Building||Back Bay||Inside the building to the right.|
|Graygarden||The Commonwealth||Head southeast down the hill towards the river. It's in the center of a circle of Pulowski Preservation shelter.|
|Massachusetts State House||Boston Common||Relatively at the end of the Raiders section.|
|USS Constitution||Charlestown||In the corner of the boardwalk in front of the USS Constitution.|
|Fallon's department store||West Roxbury||Inside the east entrance.|
|Mean Pastries||North End||Inside next to a door.|
|Hub 360||Theater District||On the ground floor.|
|Malden Middle School||Malden||West of Malden Middle School located on a patio|
|Fort Strong||The Commonwealth||On a boat with a Nuka-Cola machine seen from Fort Strong to the southeast.|
|Drumlin Diner||The Commonwealth||On a flatbed truck with a green shipping container opposite the diner.|
|Medford Memorial Hospital||Malden||On the ground floor, in the cafeteria area.|
|Mass Bay Medical Center||South Boston||Ground floor kitchen area near the south entrance.|
|The Dig||Goodneighbor||In the section with the trains, near a fragile wall.|
|Eden Meadows Cinemas||The Island||In the small diner between the two screens.|
|Nuka-World junkyard||Nuka-World||In a large warehouse, next to a fusion generator.|
|Nuka-station||Nuka-World||In the southernmost house in the town just south of the Nuka-station.|
|Nuka-Town USA||Nuka-World||To the right after exiting the Cola-Cars Arena, before the Nuka-Town Market.|
- During the quest The Big Dig, Mel will comment on the pie upon encountering the Port-A-Diner located in The Dig, saying that he would not trust anything that has been perfectly preserved for 200 years.
- In Survival mode, the pie has no food value, owing to a data keyword bug.
- Nuka-World junkyard that will always give the pie on the first attempt. There is a machine located in the
The Port-A-Diner in Medford Memorial Hospital will not dispense the pie; the animation shows the pie being delivered but the machine remains empty, and the pie will no longer be visible. [verified]