Starting from the east going to the northwest, the layout of the entire district is blocked paths of rubble from collapsed buildings, destroyed streets, rocky pathways, and finally super mutants infesting the area. Immediately to the left is a metro station called Pennsylvania Ave/Seward Sq. Metro, and continuing forward will lead the player character towards a large rubble blockage which has a route going to the right. There, one can encounter three to four super mutants depending on the player character's level, who will either be normal, brutes, or even masters.
To the left of the diner and behind the large rubble to the right is an entrance to the sewers. Farther down the road is the northern part of Pennsylvania Avenue, where the player character can find the Freedom Street station and possibly a dead wastelander. Traveling directly south of the station will lead the player character quickly to the southern part of the avenue, where they will find the Penn Ave Mall Metro tunnels, to the left of a destroyed car and rubble, all surrounded by a partially destroyed building. Once here, turn around and take a left to continue through the district where the player character will encounter a group of super mutants fighting with the Brotherhood of Steel on the other side of the street, where they are bunkered down.
The Enclave will periodically drop troops here in the southern part of the map, then leading to a three-way firefight that the Enclave will win without player's interference. Passing the Brotherhood troops will lead one to a statue that appears to have four golden women each holding a large bowl. Behind them is a man-made fence blockade. To the left of the statue is a large hotel which the Brotherhood uses as a base of operations, and to the side of the entrance to the hotel is the metro tunnel called Penn Ave Georgetown Metro.
Points of interest
- A scavenger in the northeast, in an underground parking garage.
- The hotel, a base for Brotherhood of Steel in the southwest corner of the map. Inside, a lone Brotherhood soldier has trapped the hallway with a rigged shotgun for protection while resting.
- The utility tunnel leading to the White House (and in Broken Steel, the Presidential sub level and Presidential metro).
- At the scaffolding at the corner of 17th and Pennsylvania, there is a dead merc on the side with the leaning/bent light pole (the player character must walk up the pole to reach the merc) with a note (Pennsylvania Ave explosives note) about planted mines and activation switch location. The switch is past the dead merc. When the switch is activated, all the explosives go off in a chain reaction in the street.
- In the Pulowski Preservation shelter near the Penn Ave Seward Square Metro exit is a dead Protectron and a locked (very easy) ammunition box with energy cells.
- Next to the Metro Central is an old trailer-style diner. In it are several gore bags and five ammunition boxes (to the left once entered), with some 5mm rounds, 10mm rounds, a missile and a grenade box with frag grenades in it. There are also several mutilated wastelanders, wearing enough leather armor to make a fully repaired suit.
- Down the utility tunnel, to the right, is a great place to make custom weapons, with parts and a workbench located nearby.
- The White House is accessible via the underground utility tunnel, and the House proper contains some RadAway, a Fat Man, and three mini nukes.
- Chinese Army: Special Ops Training Manual in the nearby hotel (in the southwest corner of the map) on a small table near the ham radio. Unless if one has the Broken Steel add-on installed and Take it Back! has been completed, it must be stolen.)
- Tumblers Today in the sewer (the entrance is a manhole along the northern edge of the map, right of center) by the ammunition stash (hidden in a broken-out wall in the southeast dead-end tunnel).
- Pennsylvania Ave explosives note - on the body of a mercenary, lying on a scaffold northeast of the PennAve/The Mall metro entrance.
- The streets in this neighborhood appear to have been misnumbered in the game, as 17th Street is west of the White House. The street marked as 17th Street in the game should probably be 12th Street.
- The White House Plaza is already in the main game but is not marked on the player's Pip-Boy unless the Broken Steel add-on is installed.
- Getting to any of the loot mentioned above can be difficult depending on the path taken towards it.
- The White House Plaza can be found near Pennsylvania Avenue, while the path to get there involves backtracking and going through an irradiated section near the actual Plaza, but as stated above Broken Steel needs to be installed to see the exact location on your Pip-Boy.
Pennsylvania Avenue appears only in Fallout 3.