|For an overview of combat shotgun models, see combat shotgun.|
A combat shotgun is a shotgun that is intended for use in an offensive role, typically by a military force. While limited in range, the multiple projectiles typically used in a shotgun shell provide increased hit probability unmatched by other small arms, usually utilized in close-range combat.[Fallout 2d20 1] Most combat shotguns are fully automatic and have a drum magazine, giving them a definite advantage over break-action double-barrel shotguns.
This is the strongest shotgun, having greater range, damage, and burst fire capabilities and is able with a good burst to shred against strong foes.
- The two Enclave soldiers in the Salvatore-Enclave transaction are armed with them.
- It can also be found on several characters in NCR, like Roger Westin and Frank Carlson, who can be killed for missions, making at least two easily attainable before level five.
- Male Hubologist guards in San Francisco are armed with Jackhammers, while females have FN FAL rifles.
- Occasionally, on press gangers and one prospector in random encounters around Broken Hills and Redding, respectively.
- Mai Da Chiang, the owner of Red 888 Guns in San Francisco may stock it, as well as the H&K G11 and CAWS.
- Used by a male tanker vagrants in the PMV Valdez.
Behind the scenes
In real life, the Jackhammer was a prototype design that failed to reach full-fledged production due to its manufacturer's bankruptcy. Very few functional prototypes (according to some reports, as few as three) were ever made with only one prototype left in existence. The game stays true to the weapon's reputation of controllability, even with automatic fire.
- Fallout: The Roleplaying Game Rulebook p. 98: "Combat shotguns are shotguns intended for an offensive role, typically by a military force; they’re ideal for close-range fighting in tunnels, within buildings, or through the ruined streets of old cities."