First to leave the Vault, the Vault 76 overseer recorded holotapes documenting her personal experiences and struggles as she explored the ruins of Appalachia. Each of the 18 holotapes were left at various checkpoints around the region for the Vault Dwellers to collect.
The player needs to collect holotape logs left behind by the overseer of Vault 76 during her secret mission to secure Appalachia's three nuclear missile silos. There are 18 holotapes in total, all of which are prefixed "Overseer's log."
With two exceptions, these holotapes are always found within an overseer's cache at various locations throughout Appalachia. Although the objects are not normally marked on the map, an objective marker will appear whenever a player comes within the vicinity of a holotape or the cache it is stored in. The first holotape, overseer's log - Vault 76, can be ejected from the terminal in the overseer's office within Vault 76 before leaving the Vault during Reclamation Day. Alternatively, it can be obtained from Pennington directly outside Vault 76 if not collected before leaving the Vault.
Upon collecting all the logs, the player must speak with the overseer herself at her new home in Sutton. Whether the player decides to return the holotapes or keep them for themselves is optional.
In probable chronological order, the holotapes are:
- Overseer's log - Vault 76 - At the overseer's console within Vault 76 or obtained from Pennington outside the vault's entrance.
- Overseer's log - C.A.M.P. - The Overseer's camp south of Vault 76 during the quest First Contact. This was changed to getting it from Duchess at The Wayward during Wayward Souls after the release of Wastelanders.
- Overseer's log - Flatwoods - In the church that serves as the Responders' command and trading post in Flatwoods, to the right of the entrance.
- Overseer's log - Morgantown - Near the Responders HQ terminal on the second floor of the Morgantown Airport terminal.
- Overseer's log - Firehouse - In the reception area of the Charleston Fire Department.
- Overseer's log - Top of the World - At Top of the World in front of the elevator doors.
- Overseer's log - Free States - Outside the door to Abbie's bunker.
- Overseer's log - Camp Venture - At Camp Venture, in the command center.
- Overseer's log - Allegheny - In Fort Defiance, close to the third floor elevator.
- Overseer's log - McClintock - At Camp McClintock, in the main building.
- Overseer's log - Charleston - In the Charleston Capitol Building, in the lobby of the DMV area.
- Overseer's log - Fort Defiance - In Fort Defiance, close to the fourth floor elevator.
- Overseer's log - Grafton - In Grafton, right next to the Grafton mayor.
- Overseer's log - Site Alpha - Close to the elevator which descends into Site Alpha.
- Overseer's log - Site Bravo - Close to the elevator which descends into Site Bravo.
- Overseer's log - Site Charlie - At R&G Processing Services, near the Site Charlie elevator.
- Overseer's log - Nuke launch - Close to any of the previous three holotapes, after a player character on the server has nuked a target that is not a fissure site.
- Overseer's log - Mountainside - The Mountainside Bed & Breakfast, north of Site Charlie, at a makeshift table outside the building (this holotape is not part of a cache.)
- Excluding overseer's log - Vault 76, collecting the 17 other holotapes will complete a challenge.
- Upon collecting all of the holotapes, 80 Atoms are provided as an additional reward for use in the Atomic Shop.
- The quest description was updated as part of the Wastelanders update. It originally appeared as follows, "The Overseer is scouting Appalachia looking for a way to secure the nuclear silos. I should look for any logs that she leaves behind."
- Before the Wastelanders update, it was not possible to complete this quest.
The quest may not appear in the quest log, even after a player has collected some of the holotapes. According to Bethesda, this is simply a visual glitch and the quest has actually started. Collecting more holotapes may eventually get the quest to appear.