|Brotherhood Of Steel main quest: Outside the Wire|
|Receive the network scanner holotape.|
|Insert the holotape into the terminal in the Institute relay area.|
|Give back the holotape to Proctor Ingram.|
|Reward: 300+ XP|
|Leads to: Liberty Reprimed|
During the infiltration of the Institute, Proctor Ingram has ordered the Sole Survivor to copy data from one of their terminals using the network scanner holotape. The quest starts as Ingram activates the signal interceptor.
Once inside the Institute, access the terminal at the Institute relay area and entrance then insert the network scanner holotape and select 'Initiate network scan' to extract the data. The holotape is ejected automatically. From here, simply continue the rest of the main quest Institutionalized. Return to Proctor Ingram and give her the data.
Alternatively, if the network scanner is obtained from a different faction and given to that faction, Maxson will start the quest on talking to the Sole Survivor for the first time after they have entered the Institute. If they still possess the holotape, Maxson will ask them to give it to Ingram. If they do not currently possess it, Maxson will ask them to first retrieve it.
This holotape may also have been given by and can be given to another faction, for example, to Sturges of the Minutemen as part of Inside Job. If so, then before giving it to Proctor Ingram at Boston Airport, the Sole Survivor will first need to retrieve it by asking Sturges for a copy of the holotape. Maxson may remind the player character of the need to complete the turn-in to Proctor Ingram but he will not remind them from whom they need to recover it first. Whatever quest path is taken, Quinlan will get to work on analyzing the data.
- If Mass Fusion is in progress, the player character has the option to warn the Brotherhood. If they do not wish to warn the Brotherhood, they cannot complete this mission because conversation choice automatically forces them to tell the Brotherhood.
- The player character may randomly get attacked after retrieving the holotape. However, this does not carry on to all synths or affect the standing with the Institute should the Sole Survivor join them.
- Having built the teleporter during The Molecular Level with the help of Proctor Ingram is not essential in order for this quest to start. After having returned from the Institute, the player character can simply talk to Elder Maxson, which triggers From Within alongside this quest.
- Gage as a companion may cause Proctor Ingram to ask you to follow her after completing this quest, as she is supposed to, but she won't go anywhere. Liberty Reprimed will be started but she will only have non-quest dialogue. If this happens, reload a save and dismiss Gage before giving Ingram the holotape.[verified] Having
- Sometimes Proctor Ingram will not do anything after the quest has been completed, and the Liberty Reprimed quest will not start.[verified]
- Spoils of War quest and Proctor Ingram is already on the Vertibird, the Sole Survivor will not be able to give her the holotape.[verified] If you have started the
- If you give Proctor Ingram the holotape before speaking to Maxson she might not start Liberty Reprimed and will instead just have non-quest dialogue.[verified]
- When giving the network scanner holotape to Ingram she will comment on the Signal Interceptor as if she had built it and teleported the Sole Survivor herself, even if it was in fact built and operated by a different faction. [verified]