The Outcast outpost (or VSS Facility) is a small Brotherhood Outcast compound located in a relatively clean pre-War military bunker in the Capital Wasteland in 2277. The building itself was under construction, with only the superstructure, elevator, and the VSS Bunker completed. It is the primary location for the Fallout 3 add-on Operation: Anchorage.
Background[edit | edit source]
The Outcasts have set up in the remains of the VSS Facility, a pre-War compound of Virtual Strategic Solutions, to get the combat gear stored in the VSS Armory and whatever else they can get their hands on.
Their previous efforts are illustrated by a dead Gary clone (numbered 23), who can be found in an easy locked room on the left just before the doorway of the room with the Sim-Pod. His arm is dismembered and it appears he was beaten to death with brass knuckles, as implied by the blood trail around a chair in the room's center and a pair of brass knuckles sitting on a table nearby. It is unknown where the Outcasts found Gary 23. They tried to reason with him to take off his Pip-Boy 3000 but, due to having been the product of a failed cloning experiment, he was unable to understand. The Outcasts then proceeded to attempt to remove it forcefully, as can be read in the interrogation log which was cut before release and can only be obtained through console commands.
Layout[edit | edit source]
Exterior[edit | edit source]
The exterior of the outpost is a underground parking/delivery area at the base of a half made superstructure that has three Outcast guards stationed on it.
Interior[edit | edit source]
Most of the Outcasts stationed at the facility are down here, along with a dead Gary in a locked off room. The surface elevator leads to a small collapsed chamber with a door to a two story utility room guarded by Mk. VII turrets, to the side of the room is a tiny side chamber behind a door that is entirely collapsed and has a bin filled with Abraxo Cleaner. Underneath the Abraxo Cleaner, the white container is full of jet and Buffouts. Through the main doorway, a T-shaped hallway links to a nuclear generator room with nothing of interest, a research room with lots of storage and a password-protected terminal called the VSS research terminal, a medical room with Gary 23, a staircase leading to a bedroom with one bed and a gun cabinet, and the VSS armory with all the loot mentioned below.
Inhabitants[edit | edit source]
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Gauss rifle - In the armory after completing the simulation.
- Jingwei's shocksword - In the armory after completing the simulation.
- Chinese stealth armor - In the armory after completing the simulation.
- Winterized T-51b power armor - In the armory after completing the simulation.
- Mini nuke - In the armory after completing the simulation.
Related quests[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- A locked terminal (very easy) in the chamber where McGraw is located provides details on how the Anchorage Reclamation simulation was developed. See the simulation article for details. Hacking it will not result in Karma loss.
- Even if one takes everything from the armory, the Outcasts will still comment on how they are cataloging everything they found.
- There are at least 3 (inaccessible) other floors to the VSS Bunker that can be seen during the cinematic of going down the elevator to the main level.
- Followers will not go down to the outpost, and will remain on the surface. If they are not there, search between Bailey's Crossroads and the outpost as they may have wandered off.
- Sometimes, McGraw and other Outcasts inside the Outcast outpost may say "Casdin said you're clear" after one gets the trust of the Outcasts.
- If one places clothing in Gary 23's inventory, then go back up to the surface and back down again, he will be wearing the clothing placed in his inventory, this works with any kind of apparel. His arm bits will also be there with him. Removing all clothing will revert him back to his Vault 108 suit upon the next entry to the facility.
- If one wears full Outcast power armor upon first entering the base, the Outcasts will assume that the player character is one of them, and express this through dialogue.
- If the player character wears only the power armor, but not the power helmet, Defender Morrill will assume that they killed an Outcast to get it.
- Wearing Linden's Outcast power armor will not make the Outcasts treat the player character as a member of the Outcasts.
- It is possible to use this location an ideal home as it comes with with an armory, room, defensive turrets, and plenty of storage.
- Defending the above-ground super structure, three guards will either be killed by higher level super mutants or pick off the mutants standing in the windows if not helped.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 The elevator occasionally starts at the bottom of the shaft, with the door closed, if you should get stuck in the bottom of the shaft, activate the switch. You should go up now, taking you back outside. [verified]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Pressing the switch while leaving the outpost and running out of the elevator will lock you in the outpost. You can see the elevator going up while doing so, then it stops with the outline of a clear door closed, along with the elevator gate closed. To avoid this make sure you press the button while inside the elevator to travel back to the surface. If you do get stuck the only way to leave is to revert to a previous save. [verified]
- Xbox 360 Occasionally, when going up and then immediately back down, the elevator will start and then do nothing. If this happens, the player character will be locked inside. Waiting one in-game hour seems to fix this.[verification overdue]
Gallery[edit | edit source]