|Main quest: Out of Time|
|Exit Vault 111.|
|Go back home.|
|Speak with Codsworth.|
|Search the neighborhood with Codsworth.|
|Kill the insects.|
|Reward: 200+ XP|
|Leads to: When Freedom Calls|
Escape from Vault 111Edit
Upon regaining control, the Sole Survivor can open their spouse's pod door by means of the release switch to the right of the pod. Interact with the spouse's body to gain their wedding ring and hear the player character vow to find the people who killed them and get Shaun back. None of the other pods can be opened, and interacting with them reveals that everyone else is dead. There is a monitoring terminal near the end of the room which reveals that their cause of death was asphyxiation due to life support failure. It also reveals that the Sole Survivor was released due to a remote override being issued.
The door to the left in the hallway leads to more cryogenic pods with dead occupants and another terminal which reveals that they met the same fate as the occupants in the previous chamber. The hallway leads to another door, which is malfunctioning and will not open. The Sole Survivor will weave through the hallways of the vault, to the right and then to the left, leading to a room with a window and a giant roach on the other side of the glass. Upon approach, the roach will scurry off. They will be able to find a baton on the crate directly underneath the window. There is another baton a couple of rooms further, should the former be missed.
Before heading through the door, the Sole Survivor can take a detour to the right to find a stimpak and a security terminal. The terminal details the purpose of Vault 111 and the operational protocols of its staff, plus the security logs reveal a growing discontent with the overseer of the vault culminating in a confrontation.
Shortly thereafter, the Sole Survivor will come across a hostile radroach down the hallway. They will have to kill it to progress into the mess hall. There is a recreational terminal containing a Red Menace game holotape, which can be ejected and taken. The door to the left leads into the main power room of the vault. On the way to the staircase beyond, one will have to kill several more radroaches.
The staircase and subsequent door lead to the overseer's office, which has three stimpaks, a pair of eyeglasses and a 10mm pistol with some ammunition. The open security gate has some more 10mm ammo, another 10mm pistol and the Cryolator inside a Master locked case. The overseer's terminal, in addition to revealing the overseer's role in what ultimately happened, also has the command to open the evacuation tunnel.
Opening the tunnel will reveal a long corridor with six radroaches infesting it, allowing for a V.A.T.S. tutorial. After clearing the tunnel and going through the exit door, the player character will encounter two more radroaches. Proceeding to the main entry area of the vault will reveal the skeleton of the dead Vault-Tec employee laying in front of the vault door controls. The player character can remove the Pip-Boy 3000 Mark IV from the remains and equip it. The exit area also contains more 10mm ammo in one of the lockers as well as an unopened "new vault suit," the second of the two that can be picked up on the way.
Activating the door controls, the Sole Survivor will be able to head to the elevator. Upon approaching the doors, they will be offered one last opportunity to customize their name, appearance and SPECIAL attributes before heading out into the wasteland of the Commonwealth.
A Ruined SanctuaryEdit
Upon reaching ground level, the Sole Survivor lets out a gasp as the doors open, and sunlight streams towards them. They will be able to retrace the path back to the ruins of Sanctuary Hills. To the left, one will find Codsworth near their pre-War home. He will be overjoyed to see the Sole Survivor and can provide information in terms of gaining some understanding of what happened to the world and how long it's been since the bombs fell. He states that 210 years have passed since the Great War. In passing an easy Persuasion check, Codsworth will give the Sole Survivor a holotape from their late spouse, titled "Hi honey!"
One can explore the neighborhood at Codsworth's behest, aiding him in searching for signs of life. This will lead to combat with bloatflies and radroaches. When the two battles have concluded, Codsworth will suggest the Sole Survivor go to Concord to continue the search for Shaun. They can choose to kill radroaches in the other houses before moving on.
The road to Concord leads south out of Sanctuary Hills across the bridge. One can head down the road to find a Red Rocket truck stop where Dogmeat can be found. The dog is willing to accompany the Sole Survivor as a companion. While exploring the gas station, up to six mole rats will attack the pair.
Upon reaching Concord, the Sole Survivor will hear the faint sounds of gunfire. Traveling toward its source will lead to the Museum of Freedom, where three to four raiders are battling a man on a balcony with a laser musket.
If the player character assists in killing the raiders, the man will implore them to grab the laser musket off of the remains of the individual on the entryway stairs and head inside. At this point the quest is completed and When Freedom Calls begins.
- It is possible to clear out the enemies in Sanctuary before talking to Codsworth, doing so will make him point the player character to Concord as soon as he is spoken to.
- If visiting Concord before speaking to Codsworth, the dialogue will change and he will be immediately available as a companion.
- This quest will remain active in the quest log if the Sole Survivor reaches Diamond City straight away or meets Nick Valentine without reaching Concord first. If Codsworth is spoken to after the Sole Survivor does this, he will automatically become available as a companion and the insect smashing part will be skipped. He will still ask the Sole Survivor to find the remnants of the Commonwealth Minutemen in Concord.
- Completing the main quest line before talking to Codsworth will cause some unique dialogue involving Shaun.
- ↑ Pod Occupant Status: Occupant status: Deceased. Cause of Death: Asphyxiation due to Life Support failure.
- ↑ Pod Occupant Status Pods C6/C7: Occupant status: Unknown. -- Pod Door Manual Override Engaged/Remote Override Engaged.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Vault 111 terminal entries - April 23, 2078: The main door accessing the vault exit is malfunctioning. The main door accessing the vault exit is malfunctioning. Now the only way out is through the Overseer's evacuation tunnel, how convenient for him. He has one of the science team watching the door into his office at all times from a little makeshift checkpoint.
Got invited to a meeting tonight. Support staffers and security only. Sounds like I'm not the only one with an axe to grind.
- ↑ Security Logs - LAST ENTRY: A handful of us confronted the Overseer about opening up the Vault. I never knew a man that small could shout that loud. Now he's locked himself in his office along with the rest of the science staff. We're supposed to hand over any food, weapons, and medicine we have by tonight, or there's "going to be consequences." I've talked to everyone. It's time. One way or another, we're getting out of this Vault.