|Side Quest: One for My Baby|
|Talk to Craig Boone about his wife, you can obtain this knowledge from Manny Vargas.|
|Take someone to the front of the dinosaur.|
|Equip Boone's beret.|
|Return to Boone and convince him with a Speech check.|
|Reward: 150 XP|
1st Recon beret
|Leads to: I Forgot to Remember to Forget|
|Go to the Dino Dee-lite front desk, open the floor safe behind the desk, and take the Bill of sale. You can gain access to the safe in various ways:|
|Steal Jeannie May's safe key from Jeannie May Crawford.||Open the safe with a lockpick check.||Have Boone kill Jeannie May Crawford preemptively and loot Jeannie May's safe key from her corpse.|
|Lead Jeannie May Crawford to the front of the dinosaur between 10 P.M and 9 A.M, when Boone is in the dinosaur.|
|Talk to Boone.|
|Reward: 150 XP|
1st Recon beret
|Leads to: I Forgot to Remember to Forget|
- Go to Novac between 9 PM and 9 AM. Find the giant dinosaur and enter the Dino Bite gift shop. Once inside, head up the stairs and go through the door at the top. The Courier should meet a man named Boone. Talk to him about his wife and the Courier will receive the quest to find out who sold his wife off to slavers so he may kill them. He also gives the Courier his beret to wear as a signal to fire on the person they bring in front of the Dino.
- The Courier is then given the task to talk to select inhabitants of Novac. The Courier can talk to No-bark Noonan in order to progress in the quest. No-bark's shack can be found behind the motel. Talk to Noonan about Boone's wife and he will tell the Courier about strange business in the motel lobby. With a sufficient enough Speech level, the Courier can finish the quest without evidence. Just talk to Boone after talking to No-bark Noonan.
- Head to the Dino Dee-lite front desk and check behind the counter to find a safe on the floor. This safe is locked and will require the Courier to either pick it (Easy skill) or pickpocket the key from Jeannie (there is no loss of Karma). Inside the safe, the Courier will find a note titled bill of sale. This document tells of how Jeannie May Crawford sold Boone's wife off to Legion slavers.
- Now that the evidence has been obtained, wait until Boone is at the sniping spot (between 10 PM and 9 AM) to confront Jeannie and ask her to take a stroll with the Courier in front of the dinosaur. Once in front of the dinosaur, put on the beret and Boone will kill Jeannie (remember that Boone has to be in the T-Rex before the dialogue choice that allows the Courier to lure Jeannie May to get shot appears).
- Head up to Boone. He will ask the Courier how they knew it was her. The Courier can tell him about the bill of sale they found. If the Courier did not get the evidence, it is possible to pass a Speech check (55 Speech required). If that fails, Boone may try to kill the Courier or get angry, snatch his beret back, and say that he doesn't ever want to see the Courier again, eliminating the option of him being a companion. If the Courier tells him about the evidence, the Courier can keep talking to him and convince him to become their companion.
- Instead of having Boone shoot the culprit Jeannie May Crawford, the Courier have the option to frame one of several Novac townsfolk including Alice or Dusty McBride, Cliff Briscoe, Manny Vargas, Ranger Andy, or No-bark Noonan. This will lead to a Karma loss, and Boone will not be available as a companion after finishing the quest.
- To complete this quest without loss of Karma, have Jeannie May shot by Boone, loot the safe key from her corpse, and retrieve the bill of sale. Take the item directly to Boone and the quest will be completed without ever having to talk to anyone else.
- Boone will refuse to talk with the Courier if either their relationship with the NCR is below neutral or if their reputation with the Legion is higher than with the NCR. In both cases, wearing a NCR armor will make it possible to talk with him again.
- If the Courier uses Boone's beret to repair any other beret before having him kill Jeannie May Crawford or anyone else, the quest cannot be finished.
- If the Courier accidentally gives Boone their Recon beret, it will disappear and he won't like it if they take his (it is just invisible in the inventory, one can take it and he'll still have one). This is because the Recon berets are stackable, so even though the Courier has more than one, it will still show that they only have one.
- If the Courier asks the wrong person to go and stand in front of the dinosaur, simply let that person walk over, but do not equip the beret. Boone will not shoot. At this point, whoever the Courier sent over will walk back, and they can go and ask someone else to go and stand there.
- After Jeannie May Crawford is killed, talk to Cliff Briscoe. "I think it's time we give something back to you" will appear in his dialogue box, but actually he says, "I think it's time we give everything back to you" invoice. This dialogue will only happen if the Courier has an Accepted reputation in Novac.
- If the Courier choses Jeannie May as Boone's target, the next time they speak to Cliff Briscoe, he will inform them that he is the new proprietor of the motel and gives you the key. The Courier will have the option to say "I killed Jeannie May. Do I still get my discount?", although Boone was her killer. Should the Courier choose this option, they will be asked why, and each possible reply produces slightly different reactions, but he will not turn hostile, nor will the Courier's reputation with Novac be damaged in any way. Indeed, given the nature of the situation, he seems rather untroubled, presenting the player with the usual dialogue choices.
- After completing the quest with the evidence against Crawford, the Courier can steal from the Dino Dee-lite Front desk office and Jeannie May's house with no loss of Karma.
- After cracking the safe, take the 'Bill of Sale' note only; stealing the other items may result in some Novac infamy. The Courier can take everything after completing this quest, however.
- Keeping Boone's 1st Recon beret on after he shoots Crawford will allow it to remain in the Courier's inventory, and if worn will occasionally be commented on by non-player characters.
- If the Courier choses to kill Crawford by themselves, the quest cannot be proceeded. The reason for this becomes clear when asking Boone, "What do I do if I find this person?" He responds by saying, in part, "...And I'll take care of the rest. I need to do this myself." revealing that Boone needs to exact revenge.
- If Boone shoots Jeannie May, Novac settlers will comment about it when spoken to.
Behind the scenes
The quest's name is a reference to the famous torch song "One For My Baby (and One More For the Road)" by Harold Arlen and Johnny Mercer. It was popularized by Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis, Jr., Billie Holiday, and more recently, Hugh Laurie.
- prid 0008d74c (selecting Jeannie after telling her to go in front of the dinosaur), moveto player. [verified] On rare occasions, non-player characters (including Jeannie's) AI walking script will stop working. As a workaround, the player must push the non-player character to the location to complete the quest. A more convenient alternative is to get to your intended position, open the console, and type in two commands:
- Sometimes you will not have the talk option to make Jeannie May follow you in front of the Dinosaur. The best way to fix this is to talk to Jeannie outside when she leaves around midnight or talk to her in her home while she is sleeping. If this doesn't work, simply exiting and then re-entering the Dino-Deelite Lobby or Jeannie May's house will bring back the dialogue option. [verified]
- Obtaining the evidence before talking to No-Bark will result in a quest completion for the optional objectives. [verified]
- Sometimes the evidence will not appear in the safe, halting your progress unless high enough speech is available to convince Boone without it. [verified]
- Sometimes upon trying to complete the quest, there will be no dialog option to show Boone the Bill of Sale, rendering the companion recruitment broken. (Note: This bug may be due to having a negative reputation with the NCR. Regaining a positive reputation with them may fix the dialogue gap.) [verified]
- After completing the quest Boone's beret might remain in your inventory. [verified]
If the Courier tells Jeannie (or any other person) to go stand in front of the dinosaur and he/she doesn't have Boone's hat on, Jeannie won't get shot and the option to take her to the front of the Dino will disappear forever. [verified]
- Waiting for her to go out at midnight and saving/reloading occasionally fixes this bug.
- Just after completing this quest, when you leave Boone up in the mouth, you may come out to find Boone re-entering the gift shop and going up to the mouth as if starting his shift. [verified]
- Sometimes if the Courier tells Jeannie May to go in front of the dinosaur, it will give the compass tick for Boone being in the mouth of it. If the Courier then goes into the dinosaur, Boone will be inside the gift shop, aiming at the wall/stairs and not moving.[verified]
- Sometimes if the Courier is under the influence of alcohol products (beer, wine, whiskey, scotch, etc.), and if you decide to have Jeannie killed, the prompt to ask her to stand in front of the dinosaur will not appear. If you are under the influence, you must wait until their effects are gone.