The location appears to have served as a pre-War nuclear weapon test range and waste disposal area, causing the entire vicinity to suffer from persistent radiation.
Although the site is mostly fenced off and inaccessible, the nuclear test shack within the compound can be entered. On a nearby hill, northwest towards Caesar's Legion safehouse, an observation area with five chairs and five pairs of authority glasses overlooks the location.
- The two rescued Powder Gangers from the quest Booted will travel here and come to a stop at the area just in front of the nuclear test shack, where they will most likely be killed by the many high-level feral ghouls. If the ghouls are cleared out beforehand, the two prisoners will remain in the area until the ghouls respawn.
- The apex of radiation is not located in the crater, but instead closer to the shack. The radiation level can reach 9 rads per second near the shack's entry. The interior of the shack is also irradiated.
- Arcade's comments about the area point to the location being previously utilized as both a test site and a nuclear waste repository.
The old nuclear test site appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes
- The test site is similar in appearance to the real world Nevada Test Site, located in southeastern Nye County, Nevada.
- During the detonations in the early 1950s, a host of politicians, military leaders, and distinguished individuals were allowed to observe the tests from wooden benches, located several miles away. The authority glasses may be a reference to these nuclear spectators, who would wear eye protection. Such detonations could be also felt and seen from hotel balconies and other establishments in Las Vegas, creating another tourist attraction in the process.