| ||For the quest appearing in this add-on, see Old World Blues (quest).|
In Old World Blues, the Courier is abducted and experimented upon by the Think Tank, a group of pre-War scientists that have replaced their aging bodies with machines. Learning that the Think Tank has removed and subsequently lost the Courier's brain, the Courier aids the Think Tank scientists in fighting Dr. Mobius, the rogue scientist currently in possession of their missing brain. Exploring the Big MT facility, the Courier re-discovers lost technology and fights off lobotomites, robo-scorpions, and more.
Finally meeting Dr. Mobius, the Courier learns that he is not actually evil, but has messed with the Think Tank's memories and constantly threatens them in order to keep them from experimenting on the entire wasteland. By stealing the Courier's brain, Dr. Mobius was preventing the Think Tank from using the brain's unique properties to move their own brains into host bodies and escape the crater. After choosing what to do with Mobius and reacquiring their brain, the Courier returns to the Think Tank and can choose to either convince them to stay in Big MT or to kill them.
- Biological research station
- Blind Diode Jefferson
- Book Chute
- Christine Royce (mentioned only)
- Courier's brain
- Doctor 0
- Doctor 8
- Doctor Borous
- Doctor Dala
- Doctor Klein
- Doctor Mobius
- Elijah (mentioned only)
- Light Switch 01
- Light Switch 02
- Sink Auto-Doc
- Sink Central Intelligence Unit
- Ulysses (mentioned only)
- Y-17 trauma override harnesses
- Yangtze camp survivors
Robots and computersEdit
- Automated turret
- Crazed Mister Handy
- Mister Gutsy
- Mister Orderly
- Sentry bot
- Think tank
Armor and clothingEdit
- Atomic-valence tri-radii-oscillator
- Christine's CoS recon armor
- Dr. Klein's glasses
- Dr. Klein's scrubs
- Dr. Mobius' glasses
- Dr. Mobius' scrubs
- Hazmat darklight cowl
- Hazmat suit
- Lobotomite goggles
- Lobotomite jumpsuit
- Lobotomite mask
- Lobotomite mask and goggles
- Mad scientist scrubs
- Patient gown
- Scientist scrubs
- Stealth suit Mk II
- Valence radii-accentuator
- Yangtze camp jumpsuit
Schematics & recipesEdit
- Schematics - K9000 FIDO
- Recipes - Barter skill book
- Recipes - Energy Weapons skill book
- Recipes - Explosives skill book
- Recipes - Guns skill book
- Recipes - Lockpick skill book
- Recipes - Medicine skill book
- Recipes - Melee Weapons skill book
- Recipes - Repair skill book
- Recipes - Science skill book
- Recipes - Sneak skill book
- Recipes - Speech skill book
- Recipes - Survival skill book
- Recipes - Unarmed skill book
- Big Mountain Transportalponder!
- Christine's CoS silencer rifle
- Corrosive glove
- Dr. Klein's glove
- Dr. Mobius' glove
- Elijah's advanced LAER
- Elijah's jury-rigged Tesla cannon
- K9000 cyberdog gun
- Proton axe
- Proton throwing axe
- Protonic inversal axe
- Protonic inversal throwing axe
- Saturnite fist
- Saturnite fist super-heated
- Scientist glove
- Scorpion rifle
- Sonic emitter
- Sonic emitter - Gabriel's bark
- Sonic emitter - opera singer
- Sonic emitter - revelation
- Sonic emitter - robo-scorpion
- Sonic emitter - tarantula
- Spider rifle
- Sterilizer glove
- X-2 antenna
- Big MT east tunnel
- Big MT north tunnel
- Big MT west tunnel
- Construction site
- Elijah's Watch
- Forbidden Zone dome entrance
- Hazmat testing ground
- Higgs Village
- Little Yangtze
- Loading station
- Magnetohydraulics complex
- Mysterious cave
- Saturnite alloy research facility
- Securitron de-construction plant
- Signal Hills transmitter
- The Cuckoo's Nest
- The Sink
- The Think Tank
- Ulysses' Point
- Waste disintegration platform
- X-2 transmitter antenna array
- X-7a "Left Field" artillery launch
- X-7b "Boom Town" target zone
- X-8 research center
- X-12 research center
- X-13 research facility
- X-17 meteorological station
- X-22 botanical garden
- X-66 Hexcrete archipelago
- Y-0 research center
- Y-17 medical facility
- Z-9 Crotalus DNA preservation lab
- Z-14 Pepsinae DNA splicing lab
- Z-38 lightwave dynamics research
- Z-43 innovative toxins plant
The experience points that are rewarded for quests are based on the player character's level upon the quest's completion. The total experience points available for the main storyline quests is anywhere between 3,000 (for levels 1-4) to 22,000 (for levels 45-50). The experience points gained from the side quests range from 75 to 500 per quest.
|Icon||Name||Location(s)||Given by||Reward||Form ID||Editor ID|
|Midnight Science Fiction Feature!||Mojave Drive-in||Mysterious broadcast||Variable XP||002fca||NVDLC03MQ00|
|Welcome to the Big Empty||The Sink||Self||None||002fcb||NVDLC03MQ01|
|X-2: Strange Transmissions!||The Think Tank||Doctor Klein||Variable XP||002fcd||NVDLC03MQ02|
|X-8: High School Horror!||The Think Tank||Doctor Klein||Variable XP||002fce||NVDLC03MQ03|
|X-13: Attack of the Infiltrator!||The Think Tank||Doctor Klein||Variable XP||002fcf||NVDLC03MQ04|
|Old World Blues||Big MT||Doctor Klein||Add-on completion, Big Mountain Transportalponder!||002fcc||NVDLC03MQ05|
|A Brain's Best Friend||The Think Tank||Doctor Borous||Variable XP||014bf8||NVDLC03ThinkTankDoctorBorous|
|All My Friends Have Off Switches||The Sink||Sink Central Intelligence Unit||Various The Sink services||0112e3||NVDLC03HQBuddy|
|Coming Out of Her Shell||The Think Tank||Doctor Dala||Various ammunition once per day||014c2c||NVDLC03ThinkTankDoctorDala|
|Field Research||The Sink||The Sink||Various sink services||0112d6||NVDLC03HQBuddySamples|
|He Came... And Went||The Think Tank||Doctor Dala||Variable XP||014c2d||NVDLC03ThinkTankDoctorKlein|
|Influencing People||The Sink||The Sink||Various sink services||0112e5||NVDLC03HQBuddyUpgrade|
|On the Same Wavelength||The Think Tank||Doctor 8||Variable XP||014c63||NVDLC03ThinkTankDoctor8|
|Picking Your Brains||The Think Tank||Various Doctors||Variable XP||0121e3||NVDLC03ThinkTankQuest|
|Project X-13||X-13 stealth testing lab||Test terminal||Stealth suit Mk II||006d8d||NVDLC03X13Setup|
|Sonic Emitter Upgrade||The Think Tank||Doctor Klein||Variable XP||0166e2||NVDLC03SonicEmitterQuest|
|What's in a Name?||The Think Tank||Doctor 0||Variable XP||014cfb||NVDLC03ThinkTankDoctor0a|
|When Visitors Attack!||The Think Tank||Various Doctors||Variable XP||014cfe||?|
|X-8 Data Retrieval Test||X-8 research center||Test terminal||Variable XP||00dd5c||NVDLC03X8Replay|
|Name||Recurring||Requirement||Amount to do||Perk Given||XP||Base ID|
|Automaton||Built a robot bent on destruction.||1||-||100||015b04|
|Mad Scientist||Had an experiment go horribly awry.||1||-||100||015b02|
|Evil Genius||Created an abomination.||1||-||100||015b03|
|Make up Your Mind||Made up your mind... about your brain.||1||-||500||009de2|
|Making Friends||Reactivated all of the Sink's robotic assistants.||10||-||500||011956|
|Cardiac Arrest!||Recovered X-13 cardiac regulator sneaky suit!||1||-||500||009de4|
|Caza-Death Dealer||3 ranks||Killed cazadores in the Big MT.||2/5/10||DNAvenger|| 00da29|
|Dog Run I/II/III||3 ranks||Completed the X-8 Basic/Advanced Testing Program/...with night stalkers!||4 runs||DNAgent|| 00a446|
|MT Space||Visited every location in the Big MT.||35||-||100||00a44c|
|Klein Destine|| Dressed in a complete set of Dr. Klein Clothes.|
(Dr. Klein's glove, Dr. Klein's glasses, Dr. Klein's scrubs)
|Mobius Strip|| Dressed in a complete set of Dr. Mobius Clothes.|
(Dr. Mobius' glove, Dr. Mobius' scrubs, Dr. Mobius' glasses)
|Outer Space||Dared to venture beyond the Big MT's perimeter...more than once!||2||-||100||00a44d|
|Outsmarted||Completed Old World Blues||1||-||500||009de5|
|Spinal-Tapped||Recovered X-8 vertebrae-pulse-de-sensitizer frequency!||1||-||500||009de3|
|VR the Champions I/II/III||3 ranks||Completed the X-13 Basic/Advanced Infiltration and Robot Compliance tests||3 runs||-||100|| 00a449|
|Name||Level req||Other requirements||Ranks||Benefit||Base ID|
|Atomic!||20||EN 6||1||In irradiated areas, +25% move and attack speed, +2 DT, +2 ST. With excess rad level, AP regen scales from 1.1 times to 1.5 times normal.||008011|
|Mile in Their Shoes||20||Survival 25||1||You have come to understand night stalkers. Consuming night stalker squeezin's now grants bonuses to Perception (+1 PER), Poison Resistance (+5), and Stealth (+5 Sneak) in addition to the normal benefits.||009619|
|Them's Good Eatin'||20||Survival 55||1||Any living creature you kill has a 50% chance to have the potent healing items thin red paste or blood sausage when looted.||0098c9|
|Implant GRX||30||EN 8||2||You gain a non-addictive subdermal turbo (chem) injector. This perk may be taken twice, with the second rank increasing the effect from 2 to 3 seconds and the uses per day from 5 to 10 (activated in the Pip-Boy inventory).||009d48|
|Name||Unlock conditions||Ranks||Benefit||Base ID|
|Brainless||Initial dialogue with Doctor Klein in the think tank (optional to keep after completion of OWB if you keep your artificial brain)||1||Head can no longer be crippled, +25% resistance to chem addiction, +5% DT (min +1)||0098be|
|Heartless||Initial dialogue with Doctor Klein in the think tank (optional to keep after completion of OWB if you keep your artificial heart)||1||Cannot be poisoned, healing items are boosted +25%, robots have -50% crit chance.||0098c2|
|Spineless||Initial dialogue with Doctor Klein in the think tank (optional to keep after completion of OWB if you keep your artificial spine)||1||Strength+1, DT+1, torso can no longer be crippled.||0098bc|
|Big Brained||Sink Auto-Doc after Old World Blues is finished (optional to get if you take your organic brain back)||1||Head cannot be crippled, +10% resistance to chem addiction, +10% DT (min +1).||015bba|
|Cardiac Arrest||Sink Auto-Doc after Old World Blues is finished (optional to get if you take your organic heart back)||1||+50% poison resistance, healing items boosted by 50%, robots have -25% crit chance.||015bbb|
|Reinforced Spine||Sink Auto-Doc after Old World Blues is finished (optional to get if you take your organic spine back)||1||Strength+2, Damage Threshold+2||015bbc|
|DNAgent||Completion of X-8 Data Retrieval Test||1||All damage done to night stalkers is increased by 10%.||009617|
|DNAvenger||Kill two cazadores for rank 1, three more for rank 2, and another five for rank 3 of this perk. All kills must be made in the Big MT; cazadores outside the Big MT do not count.||3||All the damage done to cazadores is increased cumulatively by 10% by rank.||00da28|
Doesn't count against the Endurance limit of original implant perks.
|Name||Unlock conditions||Ranks||Benefit||Base ID|
|Implant C-13||Surgery purchased through dialogue with the Sink Auto-Doc in The Sink for 8,000 caps.||1||Plus 10% damage to cazadores||009616|
|Implant M-5||Surgery purchased through dialogue with the Sink Auto-Doc in The Sink for 10,000 caps.||1||Your crouched movement speed is increased by 20%.||009614|
|Implant Y-3||Surgery purchased through dialogue with the Sink Auto-Doc in The Sink for 12,000 caps.||1||Removes any radiation taken from drinking an irradiated water source.||009615|
|Implant Y-7||Surgery purchased through dialogue with the Sink Auto-Doc in The Sink for 20,000 caps.||1||+5 health and +2 restored action points through the consumption of food.||00961a|
|Claustrophobia||+ 1 to SPECIAL attributes while outdoors.||- 1 to SPECIAL attributes while indoors.||0133ae|
|Early Bird||+ 2 to SPECIAL attributes from 6am to 12pm.||- 1 to SPECIAL attributes from 6pm to 6am.||012767|
|Hoarder||+ 25 lbs to total carry weight.||- 1 to SPECIAL attributes while current equipment weight is below 160 lbs.||01276d|
|Hot Blooded||+ 15% damage increase while below 50% health.||- 2 to Perception and Agility while below 50% health.||01276b|
|Logan's Loophole||Chems last twice as long and addiction rates are set to zero.||Locks the level cap at 30.||01276e|
|Skilled||Gain +5 points to every skill.||You suffer -10% from experience gained.||012b86|
|Name||Requirement||Achievement points||Trophy type||Image|
|Cardiac Arrest!||Recovered X-13 cardiac regulator sneaky suit||20|
|Make up Your Mind||Made up your Mind... about your brain||20|
|Making Friends||Reactivated all of the Sink's robotic assistants||30|
|Outsmarted||Completed Old World Blues.||35|
|Spinal-Tapped||Recovered X-8 vertebrae-pulse-de-sensitizer frequency||20|
- The facilities inside the Big MT crater seem to be where Father Elijah found and gathered most of his equipment prior to Dead Money, such as the bomb collars and the holorifle, although Elijah claims he invented the holorifle. There is also evidence Christine Royce and Ulysses both visited Big MT around the same time as Father Elijah.
- Big MT or "Big Mountain" is based upon the real-life location "Black Mesa" in Arizona.
- Like all New Vegas add-ons, Old World Blues raises the level cap by 5. The add-on also offers new traits (and gives you the opportunity to change your own traits if you've already chosen them) including one called Logan's Loophole that will allow you to cap your level at 30 and give you additional bonuses regarding chems.
- Old World Blues can be difficult for low-level player characters. Before going in, the game advises that Old World Blues is recommended for Couriers of Level 15+. Some enemies in the Big Empty can offer a challenge even for a Courier at level 30+. Old World Blues enemies pose a much larger threat for Couriers at Level 40+, however, as many enemies level with the player character.
- Equipment will not be stripped from the player character at the beginning of the add-on, and it features an open-world setting. There is also no limit to the amount of equipment that can be taken into the add-on.
- Like all New Vegas add-ons, companions cannot accompany the Courier to the new land. However, there is one temporary companion in the add-on, a cyberdog named Roxie who has her own ending if she is created.
- There is an upgrade-able housing (via completing quests), called The Sink, in the add-on, complete with a few robotic appliances which have individual personalities and different voices.
- In addition to providing free basic healing services (restoring HP, repairing limb damage, and removing radiation and drug dependency), the Sink Auto-Doc allows the player character to alter their looks, hairstyle and, for one time only, their traits. If gathered, the auto-doc can also integrate implants which give permanent attributes to the player character.
- There is a new radio station added, to both the Big Empty and the Mojave. It plays 3 new jazz songs, along with 2 songs from Radio New Vegas. Among the songs is Begin Again, a Dead Money song by Vera Keyes.
- Once you complete the add-on, you may return to the Big Empty via the Big Mountain Transportalponder! You cannot, however, use the item while in the interior of a building, cave, tunnels, etc., in a combat situation, or in Freeside, The Fort, Camp McCarran, or the Strip. You can, however, use it in Higgs Village, outside of the houses.
- Completion of the add-on does not close off side quests that are as yet uncompleted, even if these quests have not yet begun.
- In Ulysses' Point, the player character "gets a taste" of Ulysses by listening to holotapes left in the Big Empty. patient log: Y-17.9 also gives a statement referring to Lonesome Road.
- Christine Royce and Father Elijah from Dead Money are also involved in Old World Blues, although they do not appear in the add-on. There are holotapes of Christine speaking, along with her weapon and her armor. Father Elijah's weapons can also be found in his hideout, Elijah's Watch, along with his notes compiled while in Big MT.
- If you play Christine's holotapes in front of her at Dead Money, she will not take any notice. This is due to the add-ons being independent of each other.
- The Sierra Madre poster can be seen in Big MT.
- The Courier's brain, spine, and heart are removed by the scientists and held as leverage. At the beginning of the add-on, the spine and heart can be found in The Sink, and after completing the main questline, the brain is placed among them.
- The sound from the speakers in Dead Money can also be heard at the end of the trailer and from the speakers in the Little Yangtze prison camp.
- Some areas contain hanging dolls on a string like in the X-13 research facility. These are the same as the swamp totems in the Fallout 3 add-on, Point Lookout.
- Unlike Dead Money or Honest Hearts, all achievements or trophies can be earned in one playthrough without replaying.
- When in Hardcore mode, the sleep meter stays at zero unless the Courier sleeps. There may be a delay before the sleep meter starts.
- Ammo containers in Big MT almost invariably and contain .44 Magnum, .357 Magnum, and all types of energy weapon ammo.
- Vast quantities of duct tape, wonderglue, scrap metal, and scrap electronics can be acquired in Big MT. Wrenches are also fairly plentiful, allowing for the crafting of as many weapons repair kits as the player character could ever need.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The Big Empty was a location that was scrapped from Black Isle's canceled Fallout 3 (Van Buren).
- At some point, Chris Avellone set his location on his Twitter profile to Big MT, Mojave, placing the Big Empty as a location within the Mojave Wasteland and thus teasing its possible appearance in a future Fallout: New Vegas add-on. Since then, Avellone has also changed his Twitter avatar.
- The add-on is a homage to the science fiction B-movies of the 1950s. There are many references to these types of movies throughout the add-on, and both Dr. Mobius and Dr. 0 mention them directly.
- Old World Blues was nominated for Best DLC Award at the 2011 Spike Video Game Awards. It was the only one of the Fallout: New Vegas add-ons to be nominated.
- The add-on's main quest shares many similarities with the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz in that the Courier searches for their brain (Scarecrow), their heart (The Tin Man), and their spine (courage for the Lion) after initially being unconscious after entering Big Mountain (as Dorothy was knocked unconscious in order to enter Oz). Additionally, Dr. Mobius is initially portrayed to be malevolent or sinister, much like the Wizard of Oz himself, only to have it revealed that he is quite misunderstood. The Big Mountain Transportalponder! acts as the Ruby Slippers, taking the Courier back home. Dr. Mobius mentions this subtly, though he refers to the three main characters of the film as a "band of murderous thugs."