Background[edit | edit source]
The Old Gullet sinkhole is a giant crater-like hole that formed in Malden when a former neighborhood was swallowed by a sinkhole that formed sometime after the Great War. The Old Gullet sinkhole destroyed most of Malden located north of Malden Middle School and west of Greentop Nursery.
Layout[edit | edit source]
The Old Gullet sinkhole now only contains a single deathclaw near the center. A river flowing down into the crater leads to a cavern underneath the sinkhole and is the only entrance to the lower parts of the cave (upon initial discovery). Inside, the corpse of a brahmin and three dead raiders (one is partially obscured underneath the falling water) can be seen, along with a fair number of radroaches. The only exit will take the Sole Survivor past a small pack of feral ghouls.
Exiting via this path will lead the player character to the interior of a house just west of the sinkhole. As the door is chained, it is only accessible through the sinkhole or via a jetpack. A group of super mutants or a pack of mongrels may be waiting outside the house.
Notable loot[edit | edit source]
- Wasteland Survival Guide issue #7 - Down in the cavern on top of the cooking station.
- Sleepwalking note - In the chem cooler to the right of the bed, top floor in the house where the player character exits the sinkhole.
- Grandpa Savoldi's hat - During the miscellaneous quest Fallen Hero. It is next to the skeleton by the cooking station.
- Vault-Tec lunchbox - In the broken pipe without water flow.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- It is possible to gain access to the house without going through the sinkhole or using a jetpack. By going around the back of the house, one can look through an open window and sit on the red couch, which will immediately transport the player character inside. This also provides another entrance to the sinkhole.
- Beware when approaching the sinkhole from the north, as several stingwings may be around the area.
- The bodies of the three dead raiders in the sinkhole all share identical character models and faces.
- Although Grandpa Savoldi's remains can be found before the quest Fallen Hero has been started, Grandpa Savoldi's hat will not be present.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
The Old Gullet sinkhole appears only in Fallout 4.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
PC Playstation 4 Xbox One The deathclaw at the bottom of the sinkhole may not attack the player. If engaged, it will start attacking, but will otherwise sit and do nothing besides watch the player. It will, however, attack other creatures in the area.[verified]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Collector's Edition p. 281: "[2.14] OLD GULLET SINKHOLE
The latest topographical radar indicates recent seismic activity in this area. Beware the Deathclaw on the surface, guarding a trunk near an overturned car. Drop into the sinkhole to uncover some answers regarding the quest, which must be active for the discovery to be made. Don't forget the reading materials on the cooking station! Exit via the cellar of the local residence with the red chained door, watching for feral folks on the way out. There's a safe to hack too (Novice)."
(Fallout 4 Vault Dweller's Survival Guide Map)