|For an overview of hunting rifle models in all games, see hunting rifle.|
For the weapon found in Fallout Shelter, see Ol' Painless (Fallout Shelter).
Ol' Painless does slightly more damage per shot and has a higher rate of fire than the regular hunting rifle. It can be repaired with hunting rifles, making it easy to maintain due to its commonality. Ol' Painless is one of the few weapons with 0 spread, meaning with a 100 Small Guns skill, non-V.A.T.S. shots go exactly where they are aimed.
Ol' Painless can fire a total of about 556 rounds, the equivalent of 112 reloads, from full condition before breaking, roughly 111 shots less than the regular hunting rifle.
- Hunting rifle - The standard variant.
- Lincoln's repeater - While strictly a lever-action rifle that uses .44 Magnum rounds, Lincoln's repeater is only repairable with hunting rifles. It is very powerful and accurate.
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
Even though Dave claims he lost his hunting rifle while stalking mirelurks, Ol' Painless is located in his safe right next to his chair. Dave's special key is required to open the safe and is carried by Dave. One can complete the Election Day unmarked quest to get it, or they can get it through dialogue options and Speech checks during the quest You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head. Taking the rifle will cost Karma in any event and residents will see it as stealing, even if the key was given to the player character.
- Even when given permission to access Dave's safe, it will still be marked "red" as private property. Therefore, if one drops Ol' Painless, it will be marked as an owned item. Non-player characters will not turn hostile and one will not lose Karma when it is taken. [verified]
- Be careful storing this weapon because any unowned item may disappear from one's storage. [verified]
- Pronto, Smiling Jack, Knick Knack, or Moira, they will take Ol' Painless like any stolen item, then have it for sale in their store. [verified]
If one gets caught pickpocketing
- To avoid, just "fence" the item by selling it and buying it back.
- Sometimes, Ol' Painless will disappear from one's inventory, even when equipped. This happens when exiting buildings, fast traveling etc. It could happen in an in-game day, week or immediately after leaving the building. [verified]