|For an overview of hunting rifle models in all games, see hunting rifle.|
For the weapon found in Fallout Shelter, see Ol' Painless (Fallout Shelter).
Characteristics[edit | edit source]
Ol' Painless does slightly more damage per shot, has a faster rate of fire and reloads faster than the regular hunting rifle, and also has a good durability and can be repaired with ordinary hunting rifles. Since it is repaired with hunting rifles, it is easy to maintain due to its commonality. Ol' Painless is one of the few weapons with 0 spread, meaning with a 100 Small Guns skill, non-V.A.T.S. shots go exactly where they are aimed.
Durability[edit | edit source]
Ol' Painless can fire a total of about 556 rounds, the equivalent of 112 reloads, from full condition before breaking, roughly 111 shots less than the regular hunting rifle.
Variants[edit | edit source]
- Hunting rifle - The standard variant.
- Lincoln's repeater - While strictly a lever-action rifle that uses .44 Magnum rounds, Lincoln's repeater is only repairable with hunting rifles. It's very powerful and very accurate.
Comparison[edit | edit source]
|- Weapon name (melee or unarmed)||- Attacks in V.A.T.S.|
|- Weapon name (gun, energy or explosive)||- Action point cost|
|- Damage per attack (damage per projectile)||- Damage per action point|
|- Damage per second||- Weapon spread|
|- Area of effect damage||- Magazine capacity (shots per reload)|
|- Effect damage & duration||- Durability (number of attacks before breaking)|
|- Bonus effects||- Weight|
|- Attacks per second||- Value in caps|
|- Critical chance % multiplier||- Value to weight ratio|
|- Critical damage||- Skill required|
|- Critical effect damage & duration||- Strength required|
|- With all mods attached|
Location[edit | edit source]
Even though Dave claims he lost his hunting rifle stalking mirelurks, Ol' Painless is located in his safe right next to his chair. Dave's special key is required to open the safe. The key is carried by Dave, one can complete the Election Day unmarked quest to get it, or one can get it through dialogue options and Speech checks if during the quest You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head. Taking the rifle will cost Karma in any event, residents will see it as stealing even if they gave the Lone Wanderer the key.
Related quests[edit | edit source]
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Even when given permission to raid Dave's safe, it will still be marked "red" as private property. Therefore, if you drop Ol' Painless and move the cross hair over it, the cross hair is red and "steal" is shown. Non-player characters will not turn hostile and you will not lose Karma when you pick it up. [verified]
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Be careful storing this weapon because any unowned item may disappear from your storage. [verified]
- Playstation 3 If Pronto, Smiling Jack, Knick Knack, or Moira catch you pickpocketing them, they will take Ol' Painless like any stolen items, and will then have it for sale in their store. [verified]
- To avoid, just "fence" the item by selling it and then buying it back.
- Playstation 3 Xbox 360 Sometimes Ol' Painless will just disappear from your inventory even if you have it equipped. This happens when exiting buildings, Fast traveling etc. It could happen in an in-game day, weeks or immediately once you leave the building. [verified]