|For the Fallout 76 location, see the Nukashine.|
Nukashine was created by Lewis of the Eta Psi fraternity at Vault-Tec University in November 2076. The spirit itself is incredibly potent, causes blackouts, severe hangovers, and is potentially lethal, as the fellow Pi Mu fraternity found out during their "eviction party."
Created with the original intent of providing a source of funds for feeding Lewis's Nuka-Cola collector's addiction, but wound up catapulting the fraternity to university-wide fame, and led Judy Lowell, the chapter president, to set up a speakeasy in the basement of Big Al's Tattoo Parlor, with a lab and distillery set up in the basement's back room.
A sugar-free version also existed, with the lack of sugar allowing the beverage to be consumed without any risk of blackouts.
A high-proof distilled liquor brewed using Nuka-Cola Quantum and nuclear material, fresh Nukashine decreases the AP cost of sprinting by 80%, increases AP regeneration by 50%, and increase falling speed by 25% while inflicting 30 Rads and causing the consumer to blackout after the drink's duration. After blacking out, the consumer will find themselves in one of 36 random locations, while Strength, Endurance, and Agility are reduced by one for 20 seconds.
Similar to other fermented beverages, Nukashine is initially crafted as fermentable Nukashine, offering no benefits, inflicting 30 rads upon consumption, and having a significantly high disease chance of 9%. The ingredients list, found on two notes provided by Biv and found in the locked supply closet in the backroom of the The Nukashine inside Big Al's Tattoo Parlor, lists the pre-War recipe.
After being fermented further, Nukashine becomes vintage Nukashine, gaining the effect of increasing unarmed damage by 100% and boosting DR by 25 while also retaining the other positive effects of the fresh version.
Possible blackout locations
There are 36 possible locations for the player to wake up at after blacking out. There will be an empty Nukashine bottle laying nearby. A few of the locations are as follows:
- A cliffside skeleton's picnic northwest of the Whitespring Golf Club.
- The chem and hoop shack south of Camp McClintock.
- A cabin south of the Vantage.
- A raft southwest of the ransacked bunker.
- A monorail car near the cranberry glade.
- On top of the Red Rocket station in Flatwoods.
- Near Autumn Acre cabin, next to the Teddy Fear murder scene.
- Near the Mothman Museum in Point Pleasant, next to two skeletons on toilets with guns at their feet.
- A billboard north of abandoned mine site Kittery.
- A tent on a cliff in the mountains east of WV Lumber Co.
- A carriage west of Vault 96 next to three dead settlers (a reference to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim).
- A tightrope to the southeast of Mountainside Bed & Breakfast.
- A cliffside relaxation spot to the west of Sunnytop Station.
- A Gourmands camp to the north of the North Mountain lookout.
- The river treehouse northwest of Valley Galleria.
- A fishing boat south of Black Mountain Ordnance Works.
- A meeting table in the bog, featuring a Teddy Fear and several skeletons, north of Superior Sunset Farm.
- The sludge trailer behind the Red Rocket filling station.
- A guarded campsite with a cooking station, southwest of the Sunday Brothers' cabin.
- The walking trail picnic area and vista northwest of the North Cutthroat camp.
- The Game of Thrones (two skeletons on toilets) north of the Sunshine Meadows industrial farm.
Nukashine can be crafted using the brewing and distilling functionality introduced in Wild Appalachia.
Boiled water (2)
Nuclear material (3)
Learned from script
Wasted on Nukashine
Fermentable Nukashine (1)
Fermentable Nukashine (1)
Known by default
(Fresh) Nukashine (1)
Known by default
Vintage Nukashine (1)
- Fermentable Nukashine can be crafted at a brewing station with the correct ingredients after completing the quest Wasted on Nukashine.
- Fresh Nukashine can be obtained by allowing fermentable Nukashine to ferment for 60 minutes.
- Vintage Nukashine can be obtained by allowing fresh Nukashine to age for 120 minutes.
- Pi House - One bottle is on the desk near the upstairs terminal, found only during the Wasted on Nukashine quest.
- One fermented Nukashine can be found at Crimson Prospect - On the metal shelf next to Floyd's key.
- Chance to be found in holiday gifts and mole miner pails.
- Sugar-free Nukashine is only available as a reward from Season 4 Cold Steel.
Behind the scenes
- Chemical compounds written on chalkboards in Eta Psi House and the Nukashine include ethanol (C2H5OH), carbonic acid (H2CO3), uranium hexafluoride (F6U), and caffeine (C8H10N4O2).
- The blackout locations for Nukashine were selected by lead level designer Steve Massey.[Non-game 1]