Established alongside Highway 95 before the Great War, the town of Novac was once just a small stopover point for travelers looking for a restroom, a motel, or a coolant refill on the way to the REPCONN test site.[Non-canon 1] Dinky the Dinosaur and the "World's 2nd Largest Thermometer" served as a novelty roadside attraction.[Non-canon 2]
After the Great War, the motel and surrounding area was resettled and Novac was founded, taking its name from the broken sign by the entrance.[Non-canon 3] The town is protected by two NCR Army veterans, Craig Boone and Manny Vargas, who use the Dinky the T-Rex statue as a sniper's nest to eliminate any threats at long range.[Non-canon 4] Ranger Andy has stationed himself in the town to aid in its protection, following injuries he sustained that have forced his early retirement.[Non-canon 5]
In terms of commerce, Novac's proximity to the REPCONN test site and the sizable supply of salvage found there allows the town to maintain a stable trading outfit. Recent developments, such as the growing threat of Caesar's Legion, the arrival of the Bright Brotherhood as well as the feral ghouls that block the road to REPCONN, have caused concern that this might threaten the town's livelihood.
Due to the recent shut down of parallel I-15, caravan traffic on Highway 95 has increased and subsequently provided the town with additional traffic, including traders, threats, and allies alike. In terms of allies, the residents of Novac are appreciative of the extra protection afforded by the New California Republic as of late, but remain untrusting of outsiders.[Non-canon 1]
Novac consists of a residential area with several houses, including Jeannie May Crawford's house, the McBride house, No-bark's shack, and a house where Novac settlers reside. There are three bungalows inside the motel compound as well. The middle house belongs to Ranger Andy and the southernmost house is owned by Cliff Briscoe, the third being inaccessible. The landmark dinosaur, Dinky the T-Rex, containing the Dino Bite gift shop is to the south of the bungalows.
The main part of Novac is the Dino Dee-lite Motel area, consisting of seven accessible motel rooms and the front desk, where a room can be rented from Jeannie May Crawford for 100 caps. Alternatively, she will give the Courier a room free of charge once they attain "Accepted" status in the town. Cliff Briscoe will rent out rooms in Jeanie May Crawford's place if she were to die.
The motel room the Courier can rent is located up the stairs on the immediate left after entering the motel compound. There are two vacant rooms and the others are inhabited by Manny Vargas, Boone, Daisy Whitman, and Bruce Isaac.
Across the street from the motel is a gas station with a workbench and a reloading bench, one of two places where Dr. Ada Straus serves as a merchant, the other being down the road near the McBride's. In and around the gas station are several REPCONN rockets, including the V29-321G, R77-293A, and Z43-521P models.
The closest campfire is located to the northwest, in a cave past a water tower and radio tower. There are two graves accessible with a shovel beside one of the residences that run parallel to the motel's main building, as well as a kitchen tent that traveling merchants rest in front of. As with all graves, walking near them will trigger faint, ghostly whispering. Near the gravesite is a shanty that contains a usable workbench and some crafting materials on a shelf.
- D.C. Journal of Internal Medicine - Can be stolen from the bed in Ranger Andy's bungalow.
- That Gun - Inside the Dino Bite gift shop, within a locked closet behind the rocket souvenirs on a metal shelf. Alternatively, it can be bought from Cliff Briscoe.
- Two Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle caps - One in the kitchen of a house northeast of Jeannie May Crawford's house. The bottle cap is in the kitchen, on the table to the left of the entrance. The second can be stolen from Daisy Whitman's room, on the table with the television set.
- Bill of sale - In the safe behind the Dino Dee-lite front desk.
- 1st Recon beret - Acquired from Boone at the end of the quest One for My Baby.
- Paciencia - Sold by Cliff Briscoe.
- MF Hyperbreeder Alpha - Sold by Cliff Briscoe.
- A bottlecap mine inside of the crafting shanty.
Narrated by Jeannie May Crawford
|#||Slide||Voice-over narration||In-game condition|
|1||Despite their vigilance against potential attacks by the Legion, the citizens of Novac were no match for the Courier. The motel and Dinky the Dinosaur were left vacant, a rare stop at best for travelers along Highway 95.||Kill the People of Novac.|
|2||Though Novac was a low-priority target for the Legion, many of Novac's citizens died in its defense. In the weeks that followed, feral ghouls, overflowing from the REPCONN test site, ravaged the weakened town.||Do not complete Come Fly With Me.|
|3||Though Novac was a low-priority target for the Legion, many of Novac's citizens died in its defense. With no other communities coming to its defense, Novac would eventually fall to the Legion's persistent attacks.||Fail Come Fly With Me by killing Jason Bright and all of the Bright Followers.|
|4||Though Novac was a low-priority target for the Legion, many of Novac's citizens died in its defense. In the weeks that followed, several Bright Followers returned to Novac to help restore its defenses, allowing it to remain independent of the NCR.||Complete Come Fly With Me, complete any endgame quest except Veni, Vidi, Vici.|
|5||During the Legion's attack on Novac, Bright Followers, returning from their long pilgrimage, assisted in its evacuation. Though Novac eventually fell to the Legion, many citizens of Novac were able to escape, alive and intact.||Complete Come Fly With Me by improving the navigation of the rockets, complete the endgame quest Veni, Vidi, Vici for Caesar's Legion.|
|6||While the destruction of the REPCONN rockets appeared to be a boon to the salvagers of Novac, the benefit would never be realized. Radioactive fuel from the wrecked ships seeped out and contaminated the area. Salvagers were forced to move on, and the town was abandoned.||Complete Come Fly With Me by sabotaging the rockets.|
- There is a poster for the Museum of Technology in Bruce Isaac's room.
- The crafting supplies at the gas station have to be stolen.
- If the player character heads east of Novac, an unnamed raider can be found dead near a destroyed car by the toxic dump site. This is a random spawn and may not always occur. This is the only character simply named "raider" in-game. A pair of dead recruit legionaires may also be found in the vicinity.
- Cass states that when she first saw Novac from a distance, she thought Dinky the T-Rex was a giant gecko.
- After completing the quest One for My Baby for Craig Boone, the body of the individual that is chosen to implicate will take several days to disappear.
Novac appears in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes
- Novac's thermometer is similar in appearance to the "World's Tallest Thermometer" in Baker, California, marking the real world's record for the hottest recorded temperature of 134 F (57 C) measured there in 1913. Novac's thermometer is described as "World's 2nd Largest Thermometer" in comparison.
- The Dinky the T-Rex closely resembles the real world Tex the T-Rex, located at the Shan-Gri-La Prehistoric Park and Museum in Henderson, Nevada.
- The dinosaur landmark also closely resembles the real world Mr. Rex, one of two large biomorphic buildings designed and constructed by sculptor Claude K. Bell in Cabazon, California. The name Dinky refers to Mr. Rex's counterpart "Dinny," although the real world Dinny (pronounced Diney) is a Brontosaurus as opposed to a Tyrannosaurus rex.
- Novac was the first cell developers constructed, stating that it is better to build tutorials around areas that are not able to be destroyed in-game.[Non-canon 6][Non-canon 7]
- Ranger Takedown on him, he will fall off of the dinosaur, and then fly back up.[verified] If you push Manny Vargas or Boone onto the teeth of the dinosaur and then do a
- [verified] After the 1.6 patch, sections of the motel will not load properly, leaving working doors hanging in empty space.
- Items stored in the player character's hotel room, in the wardrobe and footlocker, etc., can be lost with the original junk contents replacing them.[verified]
- The road to the REPCONN test site (if traveling from Novac) seems to have poor textures. Only on a small amount of the road, and there appears to be no way to fix this. [verified]
- Cass: "Named this place after the hotel. NoVac's the hotel, not the lizard."
- Courier: "What do you need?"
Manny Vargas: " , it's home for me now. I want that to be for good. I like it here, and I've left too many homes behind. But the only resource we got here is junk. Without that, people wouldn't have anything to trade. They'd all have to leave. We get most of it up the road from the old rocket test site. But a bunch of ghouls showed up one day and took it over. We can't get in there now."
(Manny Vargas' dialogue)
- Fallout: New Vegas endings#Slide 21: Novac: 6 "While the destruction of the REPCONN rockets appeared to be a boon to the salvagers of Novac, the benefit would never be realized. Radioactive fuel from the wrecked ships seeped out and contaminated the area. Salvagers were forced to move on, and the town was abandoned." Complete Come Fly With Me by sabotaging the rockets.
- Courier: "I just wanted to meet you."
Alice McBride: "Oh! Well I'm Alice and that handsome stranger yonder is my husband Dusty. Going on fifty years, now. I keep waiting for him to leave me for some young thing with platinum blonde hair and hoop earrings, but he still sticks around. Says it's my cooking. I think it's because I know which Brahmin udder you can milk without getting kicked in the noggin. We set up this ranch years back when Novac was just getting settled. But now with all the danger on I-15, folks are starting to come through here from all over. Novac might just be the next Nevada boom town."
(Alice McBride's dialogue)
- Cass: "Can see Dinky for miles, good landmark."
- Cass: "First saw this place, thought the giant gecko was real. Read a book that giant lizards walked the earth like this one - might be a gecko this size."
- Baker, California's World's Tallest Thermometer
- Henderson, Nevada's Shan-Gri-La Prehistoric Park and Museum
- Motel load section bug
- Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition pp. 410-412: "[5.18] Novac
Before the war, this community was a small hamlet built as a refueling and restroom break along Highway 95, with extra tourists coaxed in to gaze at the settlement's main attraction: Dinky, a huge metal dinosaur biting "The World's (2nd) Largest Thermometer!" Some of the locals are friendly folk, though most are distrusting of outsiders. They appreciate the protection of the NCR, but are afraid of what's going on at the REPCONN Test Site to the west. The local law, Ranger Andy, is unable to investigate due to an injury, and periodic intrusions by Ghouls and the odd Viper from the hideout down the road."
(Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition Tour of the Mojave Wasteland)
- Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide faction profiles, p. 43: "Watching over them is the landmark of the area: a giant fabricated tyrannosaurus rex biting off the top of "The World's 2nd Largest Thermometer". The interior of "Dinky" also serves as the city center (a converted gift shop from pre-war times, with a sniper's nest in Dinky's mouth). Dinky is the "attraction" that drew in tourists."
- Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition p. 410, Dino Dee-lite front desk: "Jeannie May Crawford heads up the front of house in the Motel, the broken sign of which is where the town takes its name. There are actually "Vacs" and for 100 Caps, you can lease a room right here, in the attached block, for as long as you like."
- Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition p. 410, Dinky the Dinosaur's Mouth: "Depending on the time of day, you’ll encounter Manny Vargas (days) or Boone (nights) at this location."
- Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition p. 410, Ranger Andy's bungalow: "Andy was an exceptional Ranger, but after two nasty attacks that all but crippled him, he's stationed himself here to keep Novac protected."
- JE Sawyer on Formspring
- J.E. Sawyer on YouTube