Before the Great War, this community was a small hamlet built as a refueling and restroom break along Highway 95. Presently, the faded, cracked concrete and peeling buildings give the sense of depression; indeed, Novac is little more than a lonely desert highway motel, a small Brahmin ranch and multiple surrounding buildings that have been fortified for the protection of its inhabitants. Watching over them is the landmark of the area: a giant dinosaur statue named "Dinky" biting off the top of "The World's (2nd) Largest Thermometer." The interior of Dinky also serves as the settlement center (a converted gift shop from pre-War times, with a sniper's nest in Dinky's mouth).
Dinky is the "attraction" that drew in tourists from both post and pre-War. Most of the locals are friendly folk, though most aren't trusting of outsiders. They appreciate the protection of the NCR, but are afraid of what's going on at the REPCONN test site up the road. The local law enforcement, Ranger Andy, is unable to investigate due to an injury, and periodic intrusions by feral ghouls and the odd Viper from the hideout down the road. Novac relies on the water merchants that frequent it.
Novac consists of a residential area with several houses, including Jeannie May Crawford's house, the McBride house, No-bark's shack and a house with settlers living in it. There are 3 bungalows inside the motel compound as well, where Ranger Andy and Cliff Briscoe live, with one of the bungalows being boarded up.
The main part of Novac is the motel area. Here you can find the Dino Bite gift shop, eight motel rooms and the Dino Dee-lite front desk, where you can buy a motel room for 100 caps from Jeannie May Crawford. Alternatively, she will give you a room free of charge once you attain Accepted status in the town. Cliff Briscoe will give this room instead if Jeannie May Crawford dies, likely during the quest One for My Baby.
The Dino Dee-lite motel room you can acquire is located up the stairs on the immediate left after entering the motel compound. Inside it is a bed and storage facilities that are safe to store items in. Also, in the bathroom of the motel room is a First aid box.
Across the street from the motel is a gas station with some spare parts, a workbench and a reloading bench. The closest campfire is a modest distance to the northwest: from the motel head northwest, passing the water tower. About an equal distance beyond the water tower you will see a small radio tower on a hill; the campfire is in a cave just beyond that.
There are two graves you can open with a shovel beside one of the residences that runs parallel to the motel's main building, as well as a kitchen tent that traveling merchants rest in front of. Near the grave site is a shanty that contains a usable workbench. As with all graves, walking near them will trigger faint, ghostly whispering.
- D.C. Journal of Internal Medicine can be found on the bed in Ranger Andy's bungalow but must be stolen.
- That Gun can be found inside the Dino Bite gift shop, within a locked closet behind all the rocket souvenirs on a metal shelf. Alternatively, it can be bought from Cliff Briscoe when he is in the shop.
- Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap in the kitchen of a house called "Novac House" North-East of Jeannie May Crawford's house. The bottle cap is in the kitchen, on the table to the left as the player enters.
- Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap in Daisy Whitman's room, the northernmost motel room on the second floor. Must be stolen.
- Bill of sale: the evidence to complete Boone's recruiting quest. Found in the safe at Dino Dee-lite front desk.
- 1st Recon beret: quest reward.
Narrated by Jeannie May Crawford.
|#||Slide||Voice-over narration||In-game condition|
|1||Despite their vigilance against potential attacks by the Legion, the citizens of Novac were no match for the Courier. The motel and Dinky the Dinosaur were left vacant, a rare stop at best for travelers along Highway 95.||Kill the People of Novac.|
|2||Though Novac was a low-priority target for the Legion, many of Novac's citizens died in its defense. In the weeks that followed, feral ghouls, overflowing from the REPCONN test site, ravaged the weakened town.||Do not complete Come Fly With Me.|
|3||Though Novac was a low-priority target for the Legion, many of Novac's citizens died in its defense. With no other communities coming to its defense, Novac would eventually fall to the Legion's persistent attacks.||Fail Come Fly With Me by killing Jason Bright and all of the Bright Followers.|
|4||Though Novac was a low-priority target for the Legion, many of Novac's citizens died in its defense. In the weeks that followed, several Bright Followers returned to Novac to help restore its defenses, allowing it to remain independent of the NCR.||Complete Come Fly With Me, complete any endgame quest except Veni, Vidi, Vici.|
|5||During the Legion's attack on Novac, Bright Followers, returning from their long pilgrimage, assisted in its evacuation. Though Novac eventually fell to the Legion, many citizens of Novac were able to escape, alive and intact.||Complete Come Fly With Me by improving the navigation of the rockets, complete the endgame quest Veni, Vidi, Vici for Caesar's Legion.|
|6||While the destruction of the REPCONN rockets appeared to be a boon to the salvagers of Novac, the benefit would never be realized. Radioactive fuel from the wrecked ships seeped out and contaminated the area. Salvagers were forced to move on, and the town was abandoned.||Complete Come Fly With Me by sabotaging the rockets.|
- There is a poster for the Museum of Technology in Bruce Isaac's motel room.
- The crafting supplies at the gas station have to be stolen.
- The two closest campfires are located in a cave west of the water tower up on the hillside, and Gibson's shack north and a little west behind Gibson Scrap Yard.
- If you go east of Novac, an unnamed raider can be found dead on a bridge (this is a random spawn and may not always occur). This is one of the few raiders that is not a member of any group such as the Fiends or Great Khans.
- Some Jet and Med-X, and a dose of Hydra can be stolen from an unoccupied upper-floor motel room.
- Cass states that when she first saw Novac from a distance, she thought Dinky the T-Rex was a giant gecko.
- An old "No Vacancy" sign near the Dino Dee-lite Motel has lost all its letters but the first five, thereby reading as "No Vac."
- Traveling merchants can frequently be found in Novac.
- A pair of dead Recruit Legionaries are farther down the road next to a burnt out car, close to Toxic dump site.
- After completing One for My Baby for Craig Boone, the body of the NPC that is chosen to be shot will remain in front of Dinky and not disappear.
Novac appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Unlike most other towns in the Mojave, Novac has no real-world equivalent. There is a road crossing at US 95 and NV-165 (the road to the real-world location of Nelson, where Novac would be if it existed), but there is nothing there in the real world. However, it has the largest thermometer from Baker and Claude Bell's Dinosaurs. Dinky the dinosaur closely resembles Mr. Rex from Claude Bell's Dinosaurs.
- Novac was the first cell developers constructed, because it is better to not build tutorials around areas that will end up being destroyed, also because of game engine fluctuations.
- PC Playstation 3 Xbox 360 If you push Manny Vargas or Boone onto the teeth of the dinosaur and then do a Ranger Takedown on him, he will fall off of the dinosaur, and then fly back up, creating humorous results. [verified]
- PC Playstation 3 After the 1.6 patch, sections of the motel will not load properly, leaving working doors hanging in empty space. [verified]
- Xbox 360 Items stored in the player's hotel room, in the wardrobe & footlocker etc., can be lost with the original junk contents replacing them. [verified]
- ↑ Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide
For body text sans water merchants, see page 410, first paragraph under [5.18].
- ↑ Novac settler: "If it weren't for the water caravans, Novac would've turned to dust a long time ago."
- ↑ baby_goat: nevada/utah/colorado/wyoming/montana trip '09: the post
- ↑ JE Sawyer on Formspring JE Sawyer on Youtube
- ↑ Motel load section bug