Hailing from Ohio, Norland's parents worked for the federal government before the Great War. After hearing about the Brotherhood's presence in Appalachia, and their commitment to preserving the world, Norland left home to join up, partly as a way to make up for his parents' role in the corrupt government that caused the Great War. Norland is a loyal soldier and eager to serve, though Knight Shin will caution him about his limits. Nevertheless, Shin is impressed with Norland's capabilities as a soldier, and thinks highly of him.
Norland, much like Shin, composes himself with strict etiquette, because he believes he and his fellow soldiers should act as representatives of the Brotherhood. Although he trusts the judgment of Paladin Rahmani and Knight Shin, Norland does have reservations about Initiate Hewsen, as she does not seem "militarily inclined" to him.
Interactions with the player character
|This character is involved in quests.|
- A Knight's Penance: Under Knight Shin's direction, Initiate Norland will join the squad investigating Uncanny Caverns as a potential source of the super mutants in Appalachia.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Combat armor right arm
|Semi-automatic rifle||Fragmentation grenade
- Vault Dweller: "Pleased to make your acquaintance, Initiate. Do you mind introducing yourself?"
Norland: "Sure, I can introduce myself. I come from Ohio. My parents worked in the government before the War. When I learned about the Brotherhood and what they're doing to preserve the world, I left home to do my part. Make up for my parents' contribution to causing this disaster, however small it was. It's a big responsibility, so I don't have time for much else. I need to be vigilant about my training if I'm going to become a Knight."
- Knight Shin: "Initiate Norland, you take point. Stay in radio contact, and pull back as soon as you encounter danger. You may be eager to serve the Brotherhood, but being a good soldier is also about knowing your limits. Move out."
Norland: "Roger. I'll make the Brotherhood proud, sir."
(Daniel Shin and Norland's dialogue)
- Vault Dweller: "Is it really a good idea to send them off on their own?"
Knight Shin: "Initiate Norland is highly capable, and I trust him to handle any situation that arises. But from what we've seen so far, I don't suspect there will be significant danger."
(Daniel Shin's dialogue)
- Vault Dweller: "Woah, no need to be so formal."
Norland: "Not trying to be formal, just following basic etiquette. We are all representatives of the Brotherhood of Steel. We should conduct ourselves as such."
- Vault Dweller: "What do you know about Initiate Hewsen?"
Norland: "It's not my place to give an opinion on the other recruits. I trust the judgment of Paladin Rahmani and Knight Shin. That being said, I hope Initiate Hewsen is getting the support she needs to succeed here. She's... not militarily inclined."