The NCR refugee camp at Bitter Springs is in need of assistance, due to a lack of both manpower and supplies. The Courier can improve the situation for the camp's inhabitants by undertaking a series of tasks.
|Side Quest: No, Not Much|
|Talk to Captain Gilles at Bitter Springs.|
|Talk to Lt. Markland about medical supplies.|
|Find supplies in three nearby supply caves.|
|Request reinforcements from Camp Golf.|
|Request reinforcements from Camp Forlorn Hope.|
|Request reinforcements from Camp McCarran.|
|Return to Captain Gilles.|
|Reward: 300 XP, NCR fame and:|
or 2 Pork n'Beans, 2 purified water, $20 NCR, NCR fame
or $100 NCR, 21 Case, 5.56mm; negative Karma
|Leads to: Flags of Our Foul-Ups|
I Put a Spell on You
Speaking to Captain Gilles at Bitter Springs gives the Courier the option to begin this quest. She can be found to the north of the camp in the NCR military area, up the hill from the refugee tents, and explains the situation in the camp, and what can be done to improve it; Lt. Markland is in need of medical supplies and books to treat the refugees, supply caches need to be collected to aid the camp, and reinforcements must be mustered from NCR camps around the Mojave Wasteland in order to secure Bitter Springs.
Note that the three parts of this quest can be completed in any order. Gilles also mention attacks on the camp by a mysterious sniper, and upon further inquiry, the Climb Ev'ry Mountain quest can be undertaken at the same time.
Aiding Lt. Markland
Talking to Markland starts the subquest Bitter Springs Infirmary Blues. He can be found in the nearby medical tent at the top of the ramp leading from the refugee tents, and upon talking to him, explains his need for medical supplies. He will also state that, as a field medic, he is unable to deal with the psychological problems of the refugees without access to specialized textbooks.
He will require three doctors bags and two medical books, which can be purchased from Blake at the Crimson Caravan Company. Alternatively, if Arcade Gannon is an active companion, he can teach Markland instead, making the purchase of the books unnecessary.
Finding the supply caches
The supplies Captain Gilles needs were stored near Bitter Springs by the camp's former occupants. A total of three Great Khan supply caches, one of which is irradiated, can be retrieved from three different caves. Oscar Velasco is found in one of the caves, he holds a key that unlocks a gate, it can be obtained by passing a Speech check of 50 or by stealing it or taking it from his corpse.
Handing the irradiated cache over to Giles gives the option to pass Science check of 25 for gaining Karma or to lie to her for losing Karma. Failing the Scince check results in her not accepting the supplies, while lying to her automatically fails the quest, awards 300 XP and irradiates the command tent, which can be seen on a later visit.
Bitter Springs is in dire need of reinforcements, getting additional troops requires to travel to three NCR camps in the Mojave; Camp Golf, Camp McCarran, and Camp Forlorn Hope. The camps can be visited in any order, with each one having problems on its own. Unless the player has a NCR reputation of liked or higher, in which case they can simply talk to the commanding officer at each camp, lending the stationed forces a hand may be required before they agree to send support. Successfully requesting reinforcements from all three camps will complete this part of the quest.
At Camp Golf, speak to Sergeant McCredie. He can normally be found in the command tent in the camp grounds below the main building. With a low NCR reputation, he will be reluctant to send out his troops as he considers them to be "wash-outs" unfit for regular service. After completion of the Flags of Our Foul-Ups quest, he agrees to send troops.
At Camp McCarran, speak with Captain Curtis on the ground floor of the building or, if Curtis is dead, talk to Colonel Hsu in his office, also on the ground floor. Having a low NCR reputation requires completing I Put a Spell on You, or any unmarked quests given by Hsu such as Silus Treatment or Bounty Killer, which allows the deployment of reinforcements.
At Camp Forlorn Hope, speak to Major Polatli. He is usually found in the command center in the northeast of the camp. A low NCR reputation requires completing Restoring Hope and improves the situation at the camp enough to enable Polatli to send support to Bitter Springs.
Return to Captain Gilles
Once all three tasks are complete, reporting back to Gilles at Bitter Springs completes the quest. The quest reward varies depending on the reply given to Gilles' thanks, being one of the following:
- NCR fame and positive Karma.
- 2 Pork n' Beans, 2 purified water, $20 NCR, and NCR fame.
- $100 NCR, 21 case, 5.56mm, and negative Karma.
- On PC, returning two of the three caches to Gilles will complete this part of No, Not Much.
- Once the quest is completed, the NCR flag will return right-side up instead of upside down, as Bitter Springs is no longer in distress.
- Finding Velasco before having spoken to Gilles allows for reporting him to her, when she initially gives the Climb Ev'ry Mountain quest.
- Sometimes a gecko can spawn in the middle of Bitter Springs and kill Gilles, causing the quest to fail. To avoid this, kill it quickly.
- The quest will fail, if the player has completed We Are Legion by killing Major Polatli.
Behind the scenes
- "No, Not Much" is a popular song published in 1955, and written by Robert Allen and Al Stillman. The Four Lads recorded and released it in 1956.
- If you get the troops sent to the camp, Captain Gilles does not acknowledge that you have succeeded, but it does close out that section of the quest. [verified]
- James Hsu will never accept sending reinforcements even if you do all of the quests given by him. [verified]
- If you found the supply stashes "before" you talk to Captain Gilles to activate the quest, even though she will take the stashes, it will still say that you need to find them, thus never be able to turn the quest in. [verified]
- Captain Gilles can disappear randomly, and you won't be able to finish the quest in that case. [verified]
- Possible bug resulting in the quest becoming impossible to complete. Prior to visiting Bitter Springs, if you gather all three supply caches and present them to Captain Gilles, the objective to locate supplies for Bitter Springs does not become completed. [verified]
Possible bug regarding reinforcements from Camp McCarran. If you complete the quest for Hsu and allow the monorail to blow up, he will refuse to send reinforcements to Bitter Springs. [verified]
- NOTE: Give the game some time, complete another quest or two if having this issue and then come back to the quest. Do EVERYTHING for this quest before you try and get reinforcements from Camp McCarran. When all other objectives are complete return to McCarran and you will receive the help you need. Then return to Bitter Springs to turn in the quest.
- NOTE: If you are liked (not just accepted) by the NCR, Colonel Hsu will appreciate your help, and send troops.
- NOTE: Try changing your armor, for example, wearing NCR Ranger combat armor will cause your NCR status to be Neutral, simply change to un-affiliated armor and if you have done a sufficient amount of NCR quests you will be Liked, and then speak with him again.
- NOTE: (This just occurred in my game) - Get your reputation with the NCR to be Idolized, then Colonel Hsu will be happy to oblige to whatever the player's requests may be for the situation.
- Flags of Our Foul-Ups" until you change into an NCR face wrap, then sergeant would open dialogue with the player. [verified] Can not complete as had done "
- prid 00133044 and then moveto player - this will move Gilles to your position allowing you to finish the quest. [verified]
Captain Gilles can disappear for absolutely no reason between handing in each part of the mission, making it literally impossible to complete the quest. It is recommended that you save often in multiple slots while doing this quest, in case she vanishes. You can fix this by using the console command
- Alternately using the console Id for Captain Gilles and typing "0133044 enable" will bring the captain back on screen and allow you to finish the mission as well.
- When helping Dr. Richards with his patients, attempting to diagnose the patients by pressing (A) on them, did nothing at all. (This is caused by activating the "We Are Legion" quest, using console commands to reset it will fix this bug). [verified]