The network scanner is a holotape in Fallout 4. The player can insert this holotape into one of the Institute terminals to infiltrate their network and recover information. It also unlocks the door back into the Institute relay room, to allow exit from the Institute without a courser chip having been installed in the player character's Pip-Boy.
- If this item is given to Sturges or Proctor Ingram, then taken back via pickpocket or some other means, it will remain in the player's inventory as a quest item provided they choose a course of action other than the Nuclear Option.
- It is possible to give both Sturges and Proctor Ingram the holotape. After giving the tape to one of them, they create their own personal copy. To complete the other questline, they will give the original back through a dialogue option. This option becomes available after starting the related quests (i.e. talk to Sturges after starting Outside the Wire, talk to Proctor Ingram after starting Inside Job).
- The holotape contains an optional copy of the menu options included in the encrypted message holotape, available only when the quest Underground Undercover is active.
- At the start of Underground Undercover, Tinker Tom will provide the encrypted message holotape unless the player has the network scanner holotape in their possession, in which case Tinker Tom will modify the network scanner holotape to provide it with the encrypted message capability. However if the modified network scanner is subsequently given to another faction (Sturges or Proctor Ingram) before sending the encrypted message, a new objective will appear to return to Tinker Tom to collect the encrypted message holotape.
- The script associated with this holotape and the script on the related Encrypted message holotape are both named './admin.network_scan'
- Although the Encrypted message holotape cannot perform the network scan function, the network scanner holotape can perform the encrypted message function.
When using an Xbox controller on a PC, the on-screen instructions ask to press X to insert the holotape. The correct instructions are to press A to insert the holotape and X to remove it. [verified]